Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 12:40

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 138/115/115 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default cytomel

Does anyone take cytomel? And can you tell me your experience with it? thanks ! K
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 16:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/213/160 Female 65.5
BF:
Progress:

This is my first post here!

I take Cytomel. 5mcg a day. (In addition to synthroid 150 mcg) I finally got my TSH readings in the normal range, but told my Dr. I was still feeling a bit tired and not very "sharp" mentally. I had trouble concentrating, focusing, etc.

I've only been on it 5 days, and already feel an improvement. He said it will take up to a month to see good results, and to know if the medication is right for me.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-04, 11:20
Lovin' The GI Diet!

Plan: YOU: On A Diet
Stats: 250.0/231.0/160 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hi Kay...I have been on synthroid..it did nothing..then armour..it was ok...but Doc thought I would do better on something else as t3 is hard to regulate in the armour. So now I take .075 mg of levothroid in the am and also 5mcg cytomel two with morning does and two again in afternoon...it's done wonders for me...I am losing weight. If I can help in any way..please ask! Have a great day!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-04, 13:13

BF:

hi Amylou...thank you so much!! i wonder why i only have the cytomel? and 25 mcg!! oh well, guess i will try it again.......take care and glad to hear you are feeling better!! good luck! K
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-04, 13:18
~Return to Reality~

Plan: LCHF also RNY Bypass
Stats: 288.8/183.6/159 Female 5'7"
BF:I/don't/know
Progress: 81%

I was on cytomel by itself after thyroid surgery but have not been on it long term. I do recall that it made me feel euphoric compared to the synthyroid but my endo said it would not be appropriate long-term. I'm seeing her on March 11th and will ask a few additional questions. Good luck!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 17:53
Registered Member

Plan: The Zone
Stats: 150/145/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress:

Surfer376...I was interested in your success with adding cytomel to your t4 medication. Did you seriously notice a difference in how you lost weight? I have been dieting for 6 weeks. Initially I lost 5 pounds (which was water weight from being bloated) and then....nothing. I have been so careful on my diet but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Nothing I do makes my weight change so I was thinking of adding some t3 (cytomel) to the mixture. How long did it take before you noticed weight loss? Did you notice any other positive changes? I find I have a very hard time feeling comfortable temperature wise. I am always hot/cold hot/cold. I hate it.... anyway. I will wait to hear back form you!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-04, 09:13
Lovin' The GI Diet!

BF:

Hi Summer. I have been on it for about four months now. I didn't really notice feeling better because I was on Armour before that..but the weight is starting to come off. I have lost 23 pounds since Christmas. I started out taking only synthroid about 1 and half years ago. That did nothing.....so I ask my Endo to let me try Armour (T4 and T3) . That seemed to help..well it helped my tsh go down..but Doctor says it's hard to regulate the T3 in Armour so I switched to Levothroid and cytomel. I feel great and I am losing weight! Visit about.com...there's lot's of great info there..I love it. I used to go there everyday. If you need any help Please let me know. I also have a journal here.
Hope this helps!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-04, 01:28
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the info on your success. Did you get your thyroid levels tested before you went on cytomel? My doctor told me that my T4 and T3 were fine. I hope that when I ask for cytomel then that he gives it to me. He said my T4 level was a tiny bit low actually but he told me it still fits in the normal range and there isn't anything to do about it really.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-04, 06:28
Lovin' The GI Diet!

BF:

Summer , I had my levels tested before cytomel..but I need to go back soon for new tests. I'll keep you updated.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-04, 00:21
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Great! It would be interesting to see what kind of results you get now that you have added something with t3 in it.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 15:29
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 192/179/142 Female 63
BF:no idea
Progress:

Hi,
I have taken Synthroid for years and while I feel better, I can't get my weight to budge....it just keeps creeping up, despite 1200 caloreis and 45 minute walk a day.
Do I just ask for cytomel in addition to the synthroid I am taking? I want to know what I am talking about before I go to the doctor next week. He screams at me about my weight every time I go.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 14:39
Registered Member

Progress:

I convinced my doctor to switch me from Synthroid to Cytomel.

I think I have the Wilson's Syndrome type of thyroid problems as I have always had a lower than normal temperature at about 97 degrees.

I have to get my prescriptions by mail order, so I have to wait about 2 weeks.

I was just curious if anyone else out there got totally switched to Cytomel instead of taking it in addition to Synthroid.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 16:18

BF:

i was out on cytomel alone. 25mcg per day. cannot tolerate it at 12 mcg per day so don't take it. if you have adrenal problems, this will only worsen it so i can't take it......good luck to you......i'm sure you will lose weight on it. will you let me know how it goes when you try it? thanks ...K
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-04, 05:22
Registered Member

Progress:

After one week on the Cytomel, I think my body is adjusting to it. I take half a .25 pill twice a day. and at first, I would feel a little trembly and my heart would pound for a few minutes about an hour after each dose. That stopped after a few days. Also, most importantly, I LOST 3 lbs this week, DOING NOTHING DIFFERENTLY! I hope this will help me lose the APPLE on 2 sticks look I have now. ALso, I am taking Policosonal instead of the $2 PER PILL Crestor the doctor prescribed. I have found so much information and support from this web site and thank you all for your imput.
Happy Easter from Connie in North Carolina
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 21:58
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Hiya! Just curious to see how the cytomel is treating you. You said that you take half a .25 pill twice a day? Is this with synthyroid also? I have had moderate success with my dose of cytomel (just half a .25 pill once a day). I am thinking of either trying to fiddle around with the dose again with my doctors assistance OR ask to go on a natural thyroid medication.