Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-18, 18:35
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Chipotle Beef "Strudel"

This was our dinner tonight and with the sauce on the side, it was YUMMY! I'm going to have to try this dough with a sweet application next time.

CHIPOTLE BEEF STRUDEL

INGREDIENTS:

1 recipe my Mozzy Dough: https://buttoni.wordpress.com/2018/...y-cheese-dough/

10 oz. lean ground beef (preferably 90%)

2 oz. onion, chopped

½ tsp. chili powder

¼ tsp. garlic powder

½ c. Ro-Tel tomatoes and green chiles (drained solids only)

3 slices Pepper Jack or Monterey Jack cheese, torn in half

OPTIONAL: 1-2 T. cilantro, chopped to garnish

VARIATION: If you're close to goal weight & can afford the carbs, a band of 1/2 cup canned refried beans added down the middle would be delicious, but that addition isn’t calculated in below as I just couldn't afford those extra carbs today at my house.

DIRECTIONS: Brown the ground beef and onion together in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chi8li powder and garlic powder. Stir well. Add the drained tomatoes with chiles and reduce heat to medium. Simmer until tomatoes have cooked up pretty dry (you don't want a juicy filling). Remove from heat.

Preheat oven to 350º. Line an 11×15 baking sheet with parchment and set aside. Make the Mozzy Dough by that recipes instructions. Form an oblong “log” of the dough and place lengthwise on the parchment lined pan. Using a fork or your fingers lightly moistened, gently press into a rectangular shape about 10″x13″ and just under ¼” thick. Do this carefully so as not to tear the dough. Spoon the meat filling down the very middle of the dough rectangle, lengthwise, leaving at least 2″ uncovered dough on each long edge you will eventually be folding over the filling. Next lay the jack cheese slice pieces down the meat filling from one end to the other.

Using the parchment to help you, using both hands, lift up the long edge of the dough up and over the filling. Do the same with the other side of the dough. Pull to the center if necessary so you can pinch the center seam of the dough together to seal it. Pinch each end of the “strudel” as well so filling won’t ooze out. Again, using the parchment to help handle the strudel, roll it over so it will be seam side down on the parchment-lined pan now. Bake at 350º for 18-20 minutes. Keep an eye out at the 15 minute mark, as some ovens cook hotter than others. Remove when golden brown and garnish with the chopped cilantro. Cut into 5 portions and serve with a lovely guacamole salad. The Chipotle Mayo below is optional, but it is super yummy dotted on the top of each bite as you eat the strudel.

Chipotle Mayo: Stir together 4 T. homemade mayo, ½ c. sour cream, ¼ tsp. chili powder, 1 seeded & mashed chipotle chili pepper (the kind in can packed in adobo sauce) & dash salt. Sauce has about 0.5 NC per tablespoon.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 5 servings, each contains (excluding sauce, as I can’t know how much you will use on your serving)

469 calories, 35.2g fat, 13.88g carbs, 8g fiber, 5.88g NET CARBS, 37g protein, 739mg sodium
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-18, 10:42

Plan: moderate low crb
Stats: 130/112/105 Female 5
BF:
Progress:

Looks great! Nice to know you are still cooking up great new stuff.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-18, 12:13
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

Well, I am, Heidi. But I'll be honest, with as little interest these days as people show in low-carb recipes, not sure how much longer I'm going to post recipes on-line. Ten years ago, when I first started doing this, when the LC movement was just getting its feet wet, there were many fewer LC bloggers out there. There is such a glut of them on the internet now, the "audience" is spread very thin IMHO.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-18, 06:04

Plan: moderate low crb
Stats: 130/112/105 Female 5
BF:
Progress:

My cooking has changed quite a bit since I began low carbing in late 2009. I stick to very simple things now.

I have stuck to moderate carbs w/o problems and find that I have to watch portions to lose the weight I regained, about 8 lbs.