Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-18, 14:33
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Taste of Italy Casserole

Link to recipe on my website: https://buttoni.wordpress.com/2018/...taly-casserole/
I wanted to try my glucomannan dumplings recipe in a casserole, something Italian, but not quite lasagna. This delicious dish was born! And the noodle dough on the bottom cooked just fine, though I was indeed worried about that. My husband dipped up seconds, so I KNOW he liked it (as did I). If you have the sauce in your freezer this goes together real fast. This dish is suitable for all phases of Atkins, Keto and Primal diets, however it's not suitable for Paleo due to the dairy.

INGREDIENTS:

1 recipe my Peggy's Original Dumplings dough (see below)

2 c. low-carb spaghetti sauce with meat (I used my regular meat sauce)

8 oz. cream cheese, softened

2 beaten eggs

2½ c. French-style frozen green beans

2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese

3 links Italian sausage (12 oz.), cut into chunks

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350º. Lightly oil a square glass/ceramic baking dish (mine was Pyrex 8"). Be sure your dish is as deep as a Pyrex dish as this casserole is "tall" in the pan.

In a medium bowl, make the dumpling dough per the recipe below and let cough sit on a sheet of plastic wrap or a pliable silicone sheet for 3-4 minutes. Roll dough between plastic sheets or pliable silicone sheets (1/8"-3/16" thick) to the shape of the bottom of your dish. Remove top plastic/silicone sheet. Carefully pick up and lay dough in the bottom of your baking dish. Slowly remove the remaining piece of plastic. NOTE: You can cut your dough to fit the pan bottom exactly and freeze any cut off bits in plastic for making little dumplings to toss in your next pot of vegetable soup! That is what I actually did, but there was only about 2-3 T. cut away.

In a medium saucepan, bring green beans to a boil in water, lower to a simmer and just half cook them. Drain off all water you can, slightly squeezing the beans. Set aside when done.

Spoon the spaghetti meat sauce evenly onto the layer of dough in the pan. In a small bowl, soften the cream cheese in the microwave to a very soft stage. Whisk in the eggs until fairly smooth. Spoon that mixture onto the meat sauce layer. Now spread the green beans on top of the cream cheese layer. Next add the mozzarella cheese.

In a skillet, lightly brown the sausage chunks and remove from heat. Place the "meatballs" atop the casserole. Cover tightly with foil and pop into 350º for 1 hour. Remove foil and bake another 10-15 minutes or until the mozzy is beginning to brown and the tops is bubbling. Serve at once with you favorite garlic bread and/or green salad.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes seven 1-cup servings, each contains:

500 calories, 37.4g fat, 12.9g carbs, 4.32g fiber, 8.58g NET CARBS, 30g protein, 659 mg sodium

DUMPLING DOUGH:

INGREDIENTS:

3/4 tsp. baking powder
1½ T. glucomannan powder (Konjac powder)
1½ T. oat fiber
1/8 tsp. salt
¼ c. +2 T. water
1 extra large or jumbo egg, beaten

DIRECTIONS: Beat the egg in a small bowl with a fork. Add the water and beat until well blended. On a paper plate or in another bowl, mix the dry ingredients well. Slowly sprinkle the dry ingredients into the wet, stirring with a fork or whisk. Switching to a rubber spatula, stir and begin to fold the slowly thickening mixture over and over itself until it is a contiguous batter and eventually turns into a firm, dry dough. I let mine sit by the stove 2-3 minutes. When dough is set up firm, roll out to the shape of your pan between two sheets of plastic wrap. Remove top plastic sheet and pick up to tip dough onto the bottom of the casserole pan. Proceed with instructions above for constructing the casserole.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-18, 22:02

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

Wow! You're really doing a lot with that glucomannan powder. I'm liking the Miracle Noodles - and I have a bag with a solid block of the of glucomannan "gel" - I don't know what else to call it - in my pantry (you're supposed to tear it into little pieces, or cube it or something), but this is next level stuff!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-18, 06:00
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

I wasn't sure the noodle layer would get enough liquid on it to cook properly underneath everything, but enough liquid came out of the beans and meat sauce for it to cook just fine. It actually lightly browned on the bottom side that was touching the glass baking dish. I could eat the miracle noodles, but this recipe has no fishy smell in preparing, so I use this for all my noodles now. Really like noodle texture in light sauced dishes like this; really soft like gnocchi in creamier, saucier dishes.

I'm going to try to press it through a garlic press into simmering stock for the next batch of soup I make and see how that works out.

Last edited by Buttoni : Wed, Aug-01-18 at 17:03.