Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-14-17, 00:35
Wheat Kills!

Plan: VLCHF
Stats: 393/296/230 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default Low Budget Meat Smoking Recipes- Be a Low Carb Hero for Cookouts!!

Greetings Everybody,

I've been LowCarb now for about 12 weeks and one thing that bothers me is cookouts! I can't eat anything...I don't trust anything! With summer right around the corner I figured I let you in on how I'm taking control of the next cook out with a low-carb feast while being made a picnic hero in the process.

First, Let's start with the MEAT:
  1. 11-14 lbs slab of beef brisket: I got this beauty on clearance for only $1.94/lb!
  2. 2lb of ground beef, 80% or less: don't get it too lean or else you'll pay more and get a drier burger!
  3. Couple thawed chicken quarters with skin on: Not everybody likes beef!

Let's Start with the Brisket.

With brisket, you really must have patience...like 10 hours at 225 degrees patience! Brisket is a really tough and fatty slab of meat that costs a fortune only because they make corned beef from it! But if you take your time and give it love, then it will reward you and make you a hero even with your carb loving family and friends.

First, You must trim the really hard fat. Hard fat does not reduce over long and slow heat so it must be removed. You'll find most of the hard fat in the middle of the slab; as if it is almost seperating the meat in half.

Second, Trim the fatty top. If you are going to roast this in the oven, then this part can wait till after you render it. BUT for smoking, trim the top fat cap to about 1/8" think. It doesn't have to be perfectly manicured, but you must leave some or else you'll lose flavor and moisture!

At the end of the trimming, you'll end up with something like this:

Third comes the rub! Now, some folk have made rubs a religion. But its not. When it comes to brisket, the smoke will dominate any flavor other than salt, pepper, and cumin (if you use it).

As for me, I rub my brisket first with a dejon mustard. This allows the dry ingrediants to stick to it. Remember, salt is awesome but your not making a salt lick here. So go easy on the salt in your rub, you can always add it later.

Most rubs have a base of Paprika, garlic, onion powder, white pepper, and salt (that's all I use). For simplicity sake, I use equal parts of all but white pepper, which I half. If you want to get fancy, there are thosands of mixtures out there!

Generously Mix it on to your meat and let the meat sit overnight in the fridge. Please do not let the meat sit out on the counter--Remember, you want to be the hero, not the executioner

Now it should look something like this:

Let's move on to the Hamburgers!!

PLEASE DON'T BUY FROZEN PRESSED GARBAGE!! Nothing says 'I really don't like you' more than those grilled, crappy, hockey pucks!

Here is all you'll need:

NOTE: Low-Carbers should always have a Garlic and Herb Mrs. Dash on hand. It has a mixture of almost 20 differant spices that tastes great on just about everything!

Just so you know, I don't measure. There is no need to. Season something reasonably. Use 1 egg for every pound of beef.

Instructions: Using a hand meat patty press, form a 1/3 pound burger. A standard hand meat press will use about 1/3 pound when the presser meets flush with the top of the press container. Be sure to spray the press after every other burger or you'll never get them out! Simple math will tell you that you'll yeild 6 patties with 2 lbs of beef.

Preparing The Chicken!!

Not everybody loves beef! So if you want to be he hero to EVERYBODY, a chicken option must be considered.

Here is all you'll need: 2 cups water, 1 stick butter, white pepper, Garlic & Herb Mrs Dash (again), 2/3 cup raw apple cider vinegar, salt to tastle

Melt butter and mix contents in Large bowl. Add chicken and let sit for 1 hour.

Smoking the Meat

I don't own a several hundred dollar smoker!! There is no need to. All I have is a $50 charcoal wal-mart special. But its all you'll need.

I use a method of smoking known as "The Snake Method". You can check it out step by step by clicking HERE!

Here is how I lay my grill out!

NEXT
, Lay your brisket on the grill's original rack.

THEN, using a baker's cooling rack, set up a second level as seen below:

Next, Lay the burgers on the top rack and close the lid...smoke burgers for about 1-1.5 hours Keep grill temperature between 200-250 degrees.

Now you burgers should look like this, (now doesn't that say, 'I love you!')

NOTE:Check burgers to ensure internal temp of 165 degrees, if not ready, take of smoker and simply finish them on a skillet on the stove. It will not hurt the flavor. I even freeze these burgers and take them out on demand!

NOW, once the burgers are laid aside, you are ready to smoke the chicken. As with the burgers, lay chicken on top rack and close lid.

Smoke for about 2-2.5 hours

Be sure to keep grill temperature between 200-250 degrees.

NOTE: I like crispier skin, so I add a butter/vinegar/salt glaze and broil in oven.

When finished, they look like this:

Finger Lickin' Good!!

Finishing the Brisket

Patience, Patience Patience...this thing needs to smoke for about 8-10 hours.

If you are really short for time though, smoke for at least 4, then finish off in the oven using a grilling rack, add water, and cover over meat with foil to retain moisture.

When finished it should look like this:

NOTE: Save that juice! It will make for a great base for a homemade BBQ sauce or add some salt and onion power to it and spill it over the brisket after you slice it!

Let the brisket cool before you slice it, brisket works best when cut against the grain in 1/8-1/4" strips (kind of like bacon)

That's It! You now have an all you can eat Low Carb Buffet! And you'll be the hero of the cook-out! Let me know how it turns out!

IF you have any questions, feel free to give me a yell,
Blessings,
Don

Last edited by Bubbayob : Sun, May-14-17 at 01:06. Reason: add photo
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-17-17, 08:40

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Wow, this is a really awesome write-up and great photos. Thanks for the contribution!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-17-17, 11:08
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Amazing posting! Looks utterly gorgeous. :-)
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-17-17, 14:34

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Now I am hungry...nicely written up. Brisket is one of my favs.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-18-17, 08:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/262/205 Male 6' 1
BF:waaay tooo much
Progress: 26%

Thanks!
That helped me understand how to get this done. I'm going to try it soon.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Dec-09-17, 10:39
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 411/366/249 Male 76"
BF:
Progress: 28%

How can I get the photos on this page to display?
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Dec-09-17, 13:07
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffPrice
How can I get the photos on this page to display?

Alas, you can't .

Unfortunately, the host of those pics "photobucket.com" decided a few months ago to replace all pics from folks who used their previously *free* service with annoying "please update your account" messages. Apparently loading their pages with ads and pop-ups wasn't enough .. now they require users to buy a paid account.

#8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-19, 14:58

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

That "snake method" is genius! so that's how you build a charcoal fire for a long smoke. I'm going to try it - when temps warm up a bit.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-19, 16:02

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I love the pics and the snake method for a brisket but I'm really cautious about the possibilities of higher levels of bacteria in chicken and also ground beef so I would not stack them on top of the beef to drip. I like direct heat at a level that will kill bacteria in chicken and ground beef so I would do them separately.

I did an oven roasted rib roast at x-mas and cooked low and slow after inserting garlic at several places and seasoning it well. It was the best thing I've ever had.

Oh and about what he said concerning salt, don't use too much, I've heard just the opposite. On the Rib Roast I salted it, seasoned it and inserted the garlic and let it sit overnight in the fridge before cooking.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-19, 16:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
I love the pics and the snake method for a brisket but I'm really cautious about the possibilities of higher levels of bacteria in chicken and also ground beef so I would not stack them on top of the beef to drip. I like direct heat at a level that will kill bacteria in chicken and ground beef so I would do them separately.

I did an oven roasted rib roast at x-mas and cooked low and slow after inserting garlic at several places and seasoning it well. It was the best thing I've ever had.

Oh and about what he said concerning salt, don't use too much, I've heard just the opposite. On the Rib Roast I salted it, seasoned it and inserted the garlic and let it sit overnight in the fridge before cooking.

You know, I thought about that, but I guess if you're going to be smoking that brisket for 10 hours, 1.5 hours at 225F would be sufficient to kill any bacteria in/on the burgers, ditto cooking the chicken at the same temp. for 2.5 hours. And then you're going to be cooking that brisket for another 6 hours at 225F after the chicken comes out.

It seems kind of gluttonous to have all three meats at one meal, though. Ten pounds of brisket feeds a LOT of people if you include some side dishes. No offense to YOU, OP, only you can know how much you need to feed X number of folks. But if I were hosting, I would be making the brisket and probably asking some folks to bring their favorite sides.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-19, 17:30

BF:

I guess it would kill all bacteria since it cooks for so long and as long as the internal temp reads high enough it should be OK as you said.
I guess I'm always thinking about meat safety. I read about cross contamination of meats at processing facilities, expecially ground beef. One article was explaining that in a facility, the beef could come from many cows, 30,40, who knows. Where as if it's ground in the store, maybe it came from only a couple of pieces of meat/fat so less exposure to contamination. Theoretically.......
With chicken, it's supposed to be better to buy a whole chicken, rather than a pack of thighs (for example) which could come from many chickens, thus upping the exposure to more animals. So it's it's basically lowering the odds, I guess.

But I still love my pac of chicken thighs more
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-19, 23:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
I guess it would kill all bacteria since it cooks for so long and as long as the internal temp reads high enough it should be OK as you said.
I guess I'm always thinking about meat safety. I read about cross contamination of meats at processing facilities, expecially ground beef. One article was explaining that in a facility, the beef could come from many cows, 30,40, who knows. Where as if it's ground in the store, maybe it came from only a couple of pieces of meat/fat so less exposure to contamination. Theoretically.......
With chicken, it's supposed to be better to buy a whole chicken, rather than a pack of thighs (for example) which could come from many chickens, thus upping the exposure to more animals. So it's it's basically lowering the odds, I guess.

But I still love my pac of chicken thighs more

ground turkey has a bad reputation for bacteria contamination: all of the samples Consumer Reports tested had e-coli! ALL of them. I never buy it.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-19, 23:59

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnMyWay
ground turkey has a bad reputation for bacteria contamination: all of the samples Consumer Reports tested had e-coli! ALL of them. I never buy it.

OMG all of the turkey, that's horrible!!

I got bad meat two weeks ago, beef steaks. The first batch of 3 were bought on Saturday and on Monday I started to cook them and saw brownish spots on them and the third I threw out because it was turning and it was from a different cut. I didn't have GI problems but it threw me into a flu like state. Then 3 days later DH brought home 3 more and we cooked them right away and they too had those strange spots on some areas but very light and again I didn't feel well the next day but not as bad as the first batch.
I really should have returned all of them. IDK if it was a contaminated batch of meat or contaminated equipment.