Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-18, 11:46
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Pork Loin with Curried Pumpkin

I know they add pumpkin chunks to curries in India and have always wanted to try pumpkin in an Indian dish. We love Indian food so I decided to get creative tonight for our pork loin dinner. Took out my last remaining quart ziploc bag of frozen pumpkin made during the holidays this winter and defrosted it in a sieve over a bowl, allowing water to drain off. I emptied the water numerous times throughout the afternoon and removed about 2½-3 c. total. If you don’t drain off or squeeze out the water (using a sieve or kitchen towel to wring it), your final pumpkin recipes will be ruined, as it WILL bleed out and make a wet mess of whatever you are making. Just a fact. I also do not recommend using canned pumpkin to make this recipe as it won’t be very good, I fear. This tasty dish gets a two thumbs up from both of us! FYI: I order my Indian spices from Penzey’s on-line. This recipe is suitable for all phases of Atkins and other Keto diets.

INGREDIENTS:

1 T. coconut oil
½ tsp. each: cumin seed, nigella seed, cinnamon & Garam Masala
¼ tsp. each: Asafoetida powder (or 1/2 clove minced garlic), turmeric
¼ tsp. curry powder
3 dashes cayenne pepper (only gave it a slight bite)
2 oz. onion, chopped
Few light sprinkles of pure stevia powder (I use KAL brand), or sweetener to taste
½ tsp. maple extract mixed into 2 T. tap water (or 2 T. SF maple syrup)
1/4 tsp. sea salt
3 c. pumpkin flesh, cooked (if frozen, drain in sieve for 1-2 hours over bowl)
1 c. cilantro (coriander leaves) chopped
1 lb. boneless pork loin cut into 4 small chops

DIRECTIONS: Either cook your pumpkin fresh or use frozen pumpkin from your freezer. If using frozen, you will have to drain off the water for a couple hours. I use a sieve over a bowl for this, but you can defrost and squeeze it out in a clean kitchen towel if you prefer. Set aside.

Heat the coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add all the spices and let them cook 1 minute. Add the onion and saute until they are pretty soft. Add the drained pumpkin flesh and stir the mixture well to incorporate the spices, onion and pumpkin evenly. Add in the chopped cilantro and stir again. Add the butter, stevia, maple flavoring and salt and stir to facilitate melting of the butter and uniform blending. Lower heat to lowest setting and shift your attention to now browning the pork. Occasionally, using spoon or spatula, flip or stir the pumpkin mixture several times while you brown the pork. This will facilitate further flavor melding.

In another skillet lightly coated with oil, brown the pork on both sides until completely done, or about 7-8 minutes on a side. I dusted mine with black pepper as well. As I was planning to serve this meal with steamed spinach, I just made a bed of that on the bottom of my serving platter. The spinach could be served separately as well. Next spoon the pumpkin mixture onto your serving platter. Lay the pork loin on top and serve at once.

VARIATION: Cream the spinach either in the traditional manner or my linked Indian version.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 4 servings, each contains:

294 cals., 16.3g fat, 10.97g carbs, 2.6g fiber, 8.37g NET CARBS, 26.3g protein, 489 mg sodium
Sponsored Links