Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 13:48
Sexifying me

Plan: one pound at a time plan
Stats: 242/242/199 Female 5'4
BF:dont want to know
Progress: 0%
Question How do you handle rude comments?

I am curious to see how everyone else handles the comments like

Atkins is so bad for your health
how can you eat just meat & eggs all the time?
what happens when you start eating a bunch of carbs again?
I tried Atkins, and it did not work for me
Its so unhealthy, your arteries will get clogged from all that fat
You better watch out, your cholesterol will go through the roof
You are going to end up in the hospital if you keep doing Atkins
That Atkins guy was WAY overweight when he died, so the diet must not work good enough ( I know WHY he weighed as much as he did, but not everyone is educated on the atter )

These are some of the lovely comments that I have received within the past 2 weeks, and I am not quick enough to think of a nasty remark to put them in their place. What have you said to the nasty comments?? This thread could be interesting
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 13:51

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

I just say, "well, each to there own - it works for me" end of explanation - I don't owe anyone one

Vikki
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 13:55
Gettin' Close

Plan: LC
Stats: 274/220.6/210 Male 6'2"
BF:33/23/15
Progress: 83%

I agree with Vikki's response. If the unsolicited commenters REALLY wanted answers, then they would take the time to discover them without just parroting what they've heard from who knows where.

-Mike
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 13:59

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 328/255.0/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:52%/43%/20%
Progress: 41%

Sometimes I think their concern is genuine and the person is not well educated on lc. In that case, I usually tell them "I've done a lot of research and am confident this is a way of eating I can live on permanently, with many more benefits than health concerns". That usually shut's them up as they typically have only heard the nasty media reports.

Others are not really concerned, just want to be smarter than you and "advise" you on what they know. I just say, "thanks, but I'm really happy with this plan and I'll take my chances" It doesn't give them much room for a comeback, besides "oh" or some other lame response.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 13:59

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 252.4/171.2/166 Female 66 in
BF:40.74/27.63/25
Progress: 94%

I just say it works for me, but it's not the plan for everyone. Then I pray they leave it alone. If they don't I just say, "well, it's my health. I guess I'm gonna die next week now." ;-)
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 14:07

Plan: atkins
Stats: 153/143/125 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress:

I try to be gracious and acknowledge that some people are able to eat more carbs than I can. But this woe works for me, and I feel much better than I did a couple of years ago. Common people don't bother me, it's the "experts" that report on the news that Atkins is a no carb high protein diet that will ruin your health that bug me. And I mute the TV because I can!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 14:09

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

If they are genuinely concerned (I had a few of those based on Dr. Atkins' weight when he died), then I explain what they are confused about. You can tell that they were genuinely concerned, because they look relieved after your explanation.

If they are not concerned and just want to spout off—I explain anyway. They opened their big mouths, and now they have to listen to ME. Sometimes it even changes their minds.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 14:10

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

My strategy - don't tell people you are on Atkins. My teachers' lounge used to watch me eat my lunches - 2 grilled fish fillets and a dish of green beans, a bowl of cottage cheese and berries or a huge chicken salad and say things like "wow, you eat so healthy." They never knew I was doing Atkins, but they sure as heck knew that I'd lost about 50 lbs. To the ones that showed some legitimate interest, I started off with "Oh, I cut out sugar, flour and refined foods." If they seemed open, from there I would mention "low-glycemic."

Other 'stealth' lunches: turkey sandwich on LC bread, salmon and cream cheese in LC tortillas or LC bagels.

My other tactic, used only for the truly obnoxious - practice a very dry, deadpan voice and say "Oh, yes, I am having a heart attack as we speak." Or "Well, if I'm not here tomorrow, let Bob have my desk chair. He's been eyeing it." Then take a bite of your food and smile. >

Cheers,

Friday
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 14:15
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

This used to really bother me at first. Now Ive just learned to just say that whats good for me may not be good for you and more on.

As for whats gonna happen when you start eating a lot of carbs again.... what happens to anyone that goes on a diet who then goes back to their old way of eating?

If you want you can explain that over time we slowly introduce new carbs and we learn which carbs are better for us and which are not based on many things including how our body reacts to them, whether they trigger cravings etc. We also learn proper portion control with carbohydrates and we will never go back to being the carb addicts we were.

This is a lifestyle change and our choice, and you dont need to answer to anyone.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 14:23

Plan: Own LC
Stats: 247/166/155 Female 5'3"
BF:lots
Progress: 88%

I just say "Well it's not for everyone but my Chol. is 130 and I've lost 41 pounds and I feel great. Then when I walk away and they say good bye, I say "bite me" under my breath!

Kat
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 14:33
Anyone?? Bueller?

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

I get so much grief when people hear Atkins, especially now that I am maintaining.. I've learned to just say I'm watching my sugar/carb levels due to horrendous blood sugar shifts.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 14:42

Stats: 120/112/105 Female 5.1
BF:unsure
Progress: 53%

It is so frustrating when people comment on this way of eating...Like a lot of other people I just say I don't eat sugar, flour, etc., but when a person is truly annoying I just can't help but laugh....I'm so tempted to be like 'and what are you eating? cuz it's so much healthier...'

I guess the best thing to do is just ignore them...
Jenn
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 14:43
Living Healthy

Stats: 281.4/239.4/145 Female 5'4"
BF:imp/rov/ing
Progress: 31%

I educate them, if they'll listen. Honestly, I've had very few "rude" comments in the 9 1/2 months I've been on Atkins--more curious than rude. I've been very open about being on the plan.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 14:52
PuertoRican Princess

Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowan
I am curious to see how everyone else handles the comments like

Atkins is so bad for your health
how can you eat just meat & eggs all the time?
what happens when you start eating a bunch of carbs again?
I tried Atkins, and it did not work for me
Its so unhealthy, your arteries will get clogged from all that fat
You better watch out, your cholesterol will go through the roof
You are going to end up in the hospital if you keep doing Atkins
That Atkins guy was WAY overweight when he died, so the diet must not work good enough ( I know WHY he weighed as much as he did, but not everyone is educated on the atter )

These are some of the lovely comments that I have received within the past 2 weeks, and I am not quick enough to think of a nasty remark to put them in their place. What have you said to the nasty comments?? This thread could be interesting

I'll answer one at a time for ya the way I do too curious people:

So is being Fat
It's more than that
I won't be eating a bunch again
Everyone is different
The fat I'm losing?
It's normal now, better than before
I'll end up their of a heart attack if I don't keep doing Atkins
That's now why he died, read the facts

If I'm in a really bad mood I just tell them to F*** off, it's my life.

Lily
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 14:55

Plan: Modified Atkin's
Stats: 169/141/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 72%

I've had the usual Atkin's-ignorant comments, and only once have I been totally stumped. A great friend of mine is taking a nutrition class, and we were discussing Atkin's. She was asking me all sorts of questions, and I explained to her that I was eating whole foods and no longer eating boxed and processed foods. I told her it was very similar to when she and I were roommates and we ate all whole, organic foods. And she agreed that white flour and sugar were bad, as were processed foods. And then she said, "But I learned in my nutrition class that we need whole grains." And I said, "Uhhhh...well, now that I'm in maintenace I am eating whole grains in my low-carb bread and tortillas, but otherwise, I don't really think I need them."

Do I need them? What gives? lol. She just kind of threw me for a loop. I mean, I don't feel as though I would become deficient if I cut out my low-carb bread...

Any thoughts or suggestions on this one?

~Kelly Deneen