Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 10:49

Plan: The NewHigh Protein Diet
Stats: 229/191/140
BF:32%
Progress: 43%
Question Anyone else just starting the Charles Clark Plan?

Hi, Just starting this plan after a 9 month slog with low fat. I'm on a plateau and was losing interest. A friend is starting ( and she's a doctor) but my family are strongly against my plans(so I will quietly go forth!) Any others in the Shropshire area? Could use a local buddy!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 13:47

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Thumbs up Welcome

Hi Lorna and welcome to this forum

I wish you every success with Charles Clark's plan. There has been quite a bit of recent debate about it from other members. Do a search on the UK forum to find these posts.

I have been low carbing for nearly 2 years now and really love it. It has certainly turned my life around and I am a lot fitter and healthier.

The change, coming from low fat, is always a bit of a shock, but having read around the subject I realise how much rubbish we have been brainwashed with over the last 10 years or so. I'm in control now and hope to continue to lose weight over the next couple of years.

Not sure about other UK members down in the Shrewsbury area, but there are a great bunch of UK people here.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 06:56

Plan: Charles Clark/Atkins
Stats: 164/161/124 Female 5' 4"
BF:28%/28%/21%
Progress: 8%

Hi Lorna,

Not Shropshire but Berkshire - if that is close enough

Anyway I started CC (for short) last week after a year of low fat dieting too, I managed to lose over 2 stone the low fat way but have plateaued for the last 6 months ... then found this place.

Anyway I can't say that I have lost any weight in the last week (but then as its not my first diet I don't expect it to drop off) but I have never felt so healthy so full of energy and never hungry! and its so nice that I hardly have to think what to eat because its dead easy to get into the swing off things!

I would certainly like to keep in touch with someone who just started like me and who also has tried to low fat way

I would certainly suggest reading the intro and newbies sections as I picked up a lot of tips to help me on my way.

Also you might want to check out fitday which you can keep a diary of your food and exercise. I found this invaluable as I was truely amazed at how many foods had carbs!!

(my fitday for a peek although not completed last weekend) as a note you should try and keep a 5% carb, 25% [protein and 70% fat ratio - that will be the hard part.

Good luck and hopefully you will be as pleased as I am with this new WOL

Look forward to chatting with you, and welcome

Sarah
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 12:58
Lost the Plot

Plan: Charles Clark
Stats: 285/285/217 Male 72 inch
BF:
Progress: 0%
Thumbs up

Hi Lorna

l have now been on the Clark plan now for 7 weeks and have now lost 21lbs.

l lost 7lbs the 1st week, then a steady fall, with a slight pause.

l have have noticed that my weight seems to stay constant most of the week and then drop just before my Monday weighin day.

Around week 3-4, l stayed static, then started again without changing my eating habits. Although l had lost 2 inches on my waist.

As l have set my target to reach 15 stone ( 210 lbs ) by new year ( 2lb / wk ), and l'm enjoying the food l've decided not to give up if my weight dosent change ever week as the change to how l feel and look is worth the wait for the scales to catch up.

The best advice l've got from this group so far is " Dont give up ".

Good Luck,

Steve
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 04:40

Smile

Thanks everyone for your support. So many of you have a history that could be mine!! Anyone tell me about olives? Can't find any details in my literature.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 04:44

Hmm don't eat them myself but checked them out using FitDay and for a total of 10 small olives these are the results

Black Olives 36cals 3g fat 2g carbs 0 protein
Green Olives 34cals 4g fat 0g carbs 0 protein
Green stuffed Olives 35cals 4g fat 1g carbs 0 protein

So I would say Green ones are best

Sarah
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 10:38

Smile Hey SarahWeb

Would love to shadow you as our history is very similar. I seem to have lost 5lbs this week. Whoopee! The Doctor's scales will tell all on Thursday,but this is just what I needed. We can do it!!

Last edited by lorna xe : Tue, Jun-03-03 at 10:39.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 10:42

WOW that is great news...

and yeah shadowing sounds good - although at this rate you are way beating me - not fair (j/k)

hmm so are you doing fitday? as I think that is great news (I am still not losing but hey I feel pretty good so that is cool) I am at doctor on monday and I lost 0 at my last 3 month check up and I am so wanting to have lost something this time

Anyway keep it up and that way you might be more surprised at the dr's

way to go
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 10:45

Red face No such thing as beating!

Hey,
we all lose in different ways. I also have lost 3 stones and was on a plateau for a long while. Your body will realise it's on to a good thing and will respond soon. Hang in there!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 10:54

Talking too true

don't worry I agree its not a race ... and yep I will hang in there - I look forward to hearing what the Dr said on thursday !!!!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-03, 15:26
Slightly foxed

Plan: Take over the world,Pinky
Stats: 284/275/224 Male 5'7"
BF:No, I'm straight
Progress: 15%
Default Having problems

On day 5 of the Charles Clark, weight loss has been good 3 to 4 pounds. No Hunger! But...(1) think I'm in ketosis since day 2, mouth tastes incredibly foul and I'm tempted to have some protein just to get rid of the taste, (2) am having real problems keeping my calorie intake up, I don't want to go into starvation mode, (3) very strange sensations in stomach and lower back. Not actual hunger but that stomach sensation as if I haven't eaten for a very long time.

Trying to stick with it, but the other low-carbs mostly seem higher than Charles Clark's 40g maximum.

Ian in London and Ketosis
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jun-14-03, 07:34

Thumbs up

Hi Ian

Sounds like you are off to a good start, but do watch the calories. At the end of the day they do matter, but as you say elsewhere the source you get them from is important to.

I've not read Charles Clark's plan, so thank you for telling me that he recommends a maximum of 40 carbs a day.

Yes, other plans do have higher levels, but you will note many on here, particularly Atkins followers, keeping their levels at 30 g or below. I've been doing a mix of Schwarzbein and Atkins and now I have up to 50 g carbs a day. Mind you, I've been low carbing for almost 2 years now.

Keep at it, this is a great way to live.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 02:53

Plan: Dr Charles Clarke's High Protein Low Carb
Stats: 143/138/120
BF:
Progress: 22%

Hi Guys,

glad to see some people on the CC plan like me. I started a week ago and have lost 5lbs. I am really pleased. But I am starting to worry now because I have lost my appetite and started getting stomach crapms. I just can't bare the thought of eggs & bacon or a cooked brekkie in the morning. And then by lunch time I just feel sick.

Did anyone else experience this? Would it be ok for me for eat Fromage Frais & some fruit for brekkie instead. At the moment I can manage a piece of toast with cream cheese but it is not filling me up.

HELP!!!! I want to stick to this so desparetly.

Thanks
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 02:11

Hi Smiles

Well done on losing 5 pounds in week 1 of Charles Clark. I hope that what you are going through is just an adjustment phase. You will lose your appetite, that is the great thing about this way of life, you tend not to feel hungry and therefore you don't snack on non CC items.

You do not have to have a cooked breakfast in the morning. Any cold meat, hard boiled eggs, etc can be used instead. I eat at work, so it has to be cold. I think you are not eating enough in the morning and hence the sickness comes because your body needs more food and protein.

You could have fromage frais and a few strawberries, grapes, melon, a plum, a peach for breakfast. Keep a track of the carbs in the fruit. However, I think you need to take something for a mid morning snack. Again cold meat, cheese, eggs, crackers and pate should do the trick and keep your stomach satisfied till lunch time. Unfortunately, being at 138 pounds you do need to watch what you eat and so need to keep things around 1400 calories a day. Do eat plenty of protein and vegetables and try to steer away from fatty meat.