Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-02, 19:50

Plan: LC food combining w/BFL
Stats: 210/178.5/145
BF:
Progress: 48%

Jimsgems,
I understand your point. Why talk about a problem when you can do something about it. I get that. My point in joining this thread is in addition to being dilligent about the food portion of this wol, I would like to change some negative habits I have. Specifically self sabotage and beating myself up over things. I figure it can only help my attitude which is directly linked to my overall happiness and success in life. No, I don't believe that I can "cheat" on this diet and by positive visualization stay in ketosis. I simply want to augment my efforts by increasing my positive outlook on myself and life in general. As I mentioned, this is the first time I have tried anything like this so input is welcome.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-02, 20:26
Registered Member

Plan: calp/cad
Stats: 165/151/140
BF:
Progress: 56%

I'm in. Funny I was thinking about this, this morning, thinking it may be the only way for me to get a handle on my eating and then I find this thread. Co-incidence? I think not
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-02, 22:56
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

That's GREAT Suzon!!! That's called synchronicity!! I'm reallyl starting to get into this and with just a couple days' practice have really noticed a difference in my thought patterns. I also am down one pound.... first time in weeks and weeks!! Very cool.

Coincidence? It think NOT!!
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-02, 00:25
Registered Member

Plan: SuManKins
Stats: 321/249/221 Female 64 inches
BF:Let's not go there
Progress: 72%
Default Apology~

I haven't been on the computer much today~ and this is my first visit here~ so I apologize for that~ Jim... I appreciateyou coming here... and I will answer your last post with this All actions begin with a thought, no matter WHAT the action is, or WHO does it, or WHERE or HOW... that is FACT! If visualization is not something that you are into, or want to do... then please do not come to our thread and bash what we are doing here.... Fact is... this sort of thing DOES work, and is based upon metaphysical law. A person's thoughts and words are very much a part of who that person is.Olympic athletes, famous athletes, celebrities,concert pianists and musicians all benefit from *seeing in their mind* their performances before they actually have the physical experience. It has been proven that this sort of mental exercise improves performance, and increases self-confidence. This thread is for *positive thinkers*, and those who are learning how to become positive thinkers... You are correct in that it has to be backed up with action...
Quote:
Other wise it's just BS and the "Feel Good" stuff waists time and acomplishes nothing in and about itself. I guess, I sound pretty negative about self talk and affirmation, that is as far from the truth as possiable, but I know you have to be the one who chooses what you put into your mouth and the world is so diluted but the 70's-'80's and '90's psyco-babble. All I noticed is when I stopped thinking positive thoughts and actually did something positive about my being 401 pounds, things changed, and in a very BIG way.
That is YOUR opinion... we are all entitled to them... and we all have them... but fact here Jim, is we are NOT deluded... we KNOW what we are talking about here...and this is not psycho-babble... I do not WANT to STOP thinking positive thoughts like you say you done... I want to INCLUDE positive thoughts AS WELL as make positive changes in the "real world"... the positive thoughts just reinforces what I want to accomplish. You say you don't believe in such things... answer me this though... your car replica business that you just started... wasn't THAT an idea in your mind BEFORE it became reality? Didn't you THINK about how it would be, and the possibilities that the business might entail for you? That is what we are doing with this visualization thread... we are *seeing* our successes, our changes WITHIN ourself... we are making POSITIVE changes from the inside AS WELL as the outside... I am not saying that action is not important... though I AM saying that ALL actions begin with a thought... and even though you may not want to call it a visualization, or an affirmation... Faith and Hope are visualizations... and every prayer is an affirmation~
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-02, 00:51
Registered Member

Default Oh yeah....

That sounds like some positive things that you are doing Tricia, AND I am going to address your post, and *use* it so to speak, like Jim did... but I think that you will find that you will have an entirely different feeling to my replies...I answered yours in CAPS
Quote:
I have started today. My main goals with this are: *really work on daily positive visualization MAKING SOMETHING LIKE THIS A DAILY EXERCISE WILL HELP YOU BECAUSE YOU ARE *SEEING* YOUR RESULTS IN YOUR MIND...YOU ARE AFFIRMING THAT IT IS *OK* TO HAVE PROGRESS, AND THAT IT IS A GOOD AND POSITIVE CHANGE FOR YOU.
*motivate myself to exercise more regularly because it makes me feel good, REAFFIRMING TO YOURSELF ABOUT THE POSITIVE EFFECTS OF EXERCISE, IS IN ADDITION TO THE GREAT THINGS YOU ARE ALREADY FEELING IN YOUR BODY. I WILL HAVE TO LOOK UP THE EXACT WORDS ON THIS SO I MAY BE A LITTLE OFF... BUT ACTUALLY *THINKING* ABOUT RUNNING CAN HAVE THE SAME SORT OF PHYSIOLOGICAL EFFECTS ON THE BODY AS ACTUAL RUNNING... YOUR *MIND* DOES NOT KNOW THE DIFFERENCE! THERE ARE STORIES ABOUND OF WORLD CLASS ATHLETES WHO OVERCAME HURDLES THEY COULD NOT OTHERWISE OVERCOME BECAUSE THEY SEEN IT IN THEIR MIND FIRST! (WILL LOOK FOR THE INFO ON THE EXERCISE AND MIND THING FOR YOU)

be diligent about eliminating negative thoughts-NEGATIVE THOUGHTS AND NEGATIVE SELF TALK IS SOMETHING WE ALL HAVE DEALT WITH AT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER... SOME OF US HAVE MORE NEGATIVE *MIND TAPES* THAN OTHERS... IT DEPENDS ON A VARIANCE OF FACTORS...

*be happy and proud of my progress so far- GREAT FOR YOU!! I THINK THAT TOO OFTEN WE LOOK AT HOW FAR WE HAVE YET TO GO, AND DON'T LOOK TO SEE HOW FAR WE HAVE COME... EVERY JOURNEY BEGINS WITH A SINGLE STEP... YOU HAVE TAKEN THAT FIRST STEP... YOU ARE ON A JOURNEY TO A *NEW AND IMPROVED* YOU!!

be patient about my progress -ALL OF US LOSE AT OUR OWN RATES AND IN OUR OWN TIME. I HAVE SEEN FAILURES BECAUSE I MEASURED MY JOURNEY TO SOMEONE ELSES... I AM NOT GETTING THE SAME RESULTS AS THEM... I AM A FAILURE... I AM GOING TO QUIT NOW... HOW SELF-DEFEATING!!! THE ONE THING WE ALL HAVE IN COMMON IS THAT WE ARE ALL UNIQUE, AND EVEN THO THERE ARE THE SIMILARITIES... WE SIMPLY CANNOT GAUGE OUR SUCCESS ON SOMEONE ELSES.

To begin with I will use car time to reinforce my positive thoughts for the day. This is the first time I have ever really tried this tactic so any input is welcome TRICIA... I THINK THAT YOU WILL FIND YOURSELF LOOKING FORWARD TO YOUR POSITIVE REINFORCING.. AND USING YOUR CAR TIME IS AN EFFECTIVE USE OF TIME AND DEFINITELY TO YOUR BENEFIT!~
and suzon.. welcome to this thread~ you will find more and more, as you apply positive thinking to your thoughts, and to your life... that things are *falling into place*... I read someplace a long time ago... Coincidences are just God's way of remaining anonymous~ the thing is... there is POWER in our minds... let's use it for the GOOD... let's harness the positive~
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-02, 01:05

Plan: Modified Atkins for Diabetics.
Stats: 401/240/210 Male 73"
BF:
Progress: 84%
Default Sorry...

I'm really sorry about the tender spot I must have tread upon and I appologize if I offended but with that being said and I mean it, I'm sorry if I offended.

It however doesn't make it any the less true. I am also a realest and very pragmatic, strong willed and I agree that positive imaging is important all I'm saying is that if all you do is self image and do not put your feet in the street, you'll still be fat in another day. I just cannot make it any less true than that, sorry.

I think if you re-read my offending post again and read it from a positive POV, you might get it more clearly, I wasn't bashing, but I was calling attention that it takes more than kind thoughts to change anything.

About my car company , sure I thought about it, I studied what I wanted to do and then I did something about it. That is the only way it would have ever happened, no matter how much I "self-imaged" it, if I didn't do what needed to be done, It would still just be a dream.

Just like seeing myself at 401 pounds, getting it... and making the changes required to loose 140 pounds in 11 months.

I'll go away now and I won't be back here to bring you all down, I wish you all well and hope you all reach your dreams.
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-02, 01:17
Registered Member

Unhappy Not trying to Drive ppl away~

Jim, the quote I have included here is the main jist of why I said what I did... you are RIGHT in that action has to follow... otherwise it is all just empty ideas and hopeless dreams... You are the one who said "All I noticed is when I stopped thinking positive thoughts and actually did something positive about my being 401 pounds, things changed, and in a very BIG way"... the thing is... here we do not want to STOP thinking positive thoughts... we want to use that energy to further propel ourself on to higher goals and aspirations! All the thoughts and affirmations in the world are not going to work if you keep stuffing yourself with carbage~! I think that we know that, and we are in agreement about that~

Quote:
Other wise it's just BS and the "Feel Good" stuff waists time and acomplishes nothing in and about itself. I guess, I sound pretty negative about self talk and affirmation, that is as far from the truth as possiable, but I know you have to be the one who chooses what you put into your mouth and the world is so diluted but the 70's-'80's and '90's psyco-babble. All I noticed is when I stopped thinking positive thoughts and actually did something positive about my being 401 pounds, things changed, and in a very BIG way.
And this is the reason why I answered in the way that I did... I wasn't putting you down... so I hope that it wasn't interpreted as that. And by the way~ I think your weight loss in such a length if time is GREAT~ and I congratulate you on your journey to a smaller you~ ~ feels perty darn good eh?
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-02, 06:31
Starting Over!

Quote:
I am also a realest and very pragmatic, strong willed and I agree that positive imaging is important all I'm saying is that if all you do is self image and do not put your feet in the street, you'll still be fat in another day. I just cannot make it any less true than that, sorry.
If Jim interpreted something in this thread to mean that ALL you need is visualization to lose unwanted pounds, then others might have as well. So.... to make it clear: Visualization and affirmations are used as a tool to help one adhere to your chosen plan , make healthy food choices, begin or enhance exercise programs, adjust to new body images, as well as encourage the physical changes of speeding metabolism and releasing fat from the cells.

Thanks Jim, for helping us see that point needed to be clarified.
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-02, 08:02

Plan: SP/BFL
Stats: 190/186/160 Female 67 inches
BF:

I think most will agree, in all due respect, that we are using this forum to replace negative thoughts with positive thoughts. Nobody here is guilty of not "doing" in the guise of just thinking. Just look at their journals. Everybody here has already adopted this woe as a wol and the positive thoughts reinforce are actions and provide a vehicle for more actions. We picture ourselves doing things, we ultimately accomplish them.

With that said, your post is a reminder not to make this wol easier by thinking we can continue with just our thoughts. I said it somewhere else but an object in motion, stays in motion; an object at rest; stays at rest. Energy begets more energy. Same thing whether it's negative or positive energy. It's all in the energy we harbour and build. If our thoughts can produce more positive energy, we can all benefit from the positive energy created in our mind and produced through our body. If we succumb to negative thoughts, we will suffer from the self-fulfilling prophecy. Let me pose the questions then...What would happen if we replace negative with self affirming, positive, healthy thoughts? How would we fulfill our prophecy then?
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-02, 09:41

Plan: LC food combining w/BFL
Stats: 210/178.5/145
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default Greetings fellow positive thinkers!

All I know for sure is one day into my new commitment to positive visualization and I woke up early and did a 45 minute workout AND I am back down to my lowest weight this morning. I have been bouncing for about 2 weeks. Coincidence? I think not! Imagine the possibilities...... Have a wonderful day everyone!
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-02, 17:57
Registered Member

Plan: calp/cad
Stats: 165/151/140
BF:
Progress: 56%

Well, I had made plans to do the visualization before I went to bed last night.Guess I won't be doing that again....Fell asleep.
However all day when I thought about eating something I shouldn't I replaced it with a positive thought regarding having control over my eating
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-02, 19:00

Plan: Modified Atkins for Diabetics.
Stats: 401/240/210 Male 73"
BF:
Progress: 84%
Default Clearify...

Thank you for explaining that... I was aware that visualization and maybe equally important positive imaging and all that goes with it can in fact if mixed with action change not only your world and the worlds of others.

I am in fact greatly touched if the story is true of the teacher who realized after 9-11 that she wouldn't be able to help her students if she was called upon to do that becuse of her weight. She chose Jenny Craig, which is fine. This is an example of action. Seem, she saw what was needed and just did it. I guess that's my point. Just do it and let the visualization be a part of it.

I do think imaging and re-imaging can be effective, that we seem to be in agreement on and when you attach action to that, then we stand a greater chance of long term success. Be well.
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-02, 21:13
Reinventing Myself

Plan: Doctor's Plan
Stats: */*/* Female 5 ft 3 in
BF:
Progress: 77%

I am going to jump in on this thread. I have been told that meditation, visualization, and "grounding" would be very helpful for me. This thread will help me learn as well as keep me on my toes. I am going to start thinking tonight, then come up with a "plan" tomorrow to submit for help Great idea Teri and Suze!
~Michelle
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 01:35
Registered Member

Thumbs up Twas Teri~

Teri started this thread, and I applaud her doing so~ I think that getting the right mind set is so essential in losing weight and being successful at it~ We need something to counter the negatives we sometimes throw at ourselves... things like I will never make it, I might as well quit... I have never lost weight before... yadda yadda yadda...get the idea? I think by setting realistic goals, and positive feed back to ourselves, that the goals we do set are attainable... and it's 1:30 in the morning... I am sleepy... so forgive my ending this post... I am going to add some affirmations about more effective use of time~!! But I have been productive about the house... so I am getting things done... y'all keep up the great work~ and remember *VISUALIZE+INTERNALIZE=REALIZE*

Last edited by suze_c : Wed, Oct-30-02 at 01:41.
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 06:09
Starting Over!

Suzon - Actually doing your visualizations right before bedtime and first thing in the morning are the best times for doing so! Your mind is most receptive to "suggestions' at that time....because you are relaxed, I suppose.

You could even record your affirmations on a tape and listen to them as you drift off at night.........even better!

Actually, there's a cool gadget I'd like to get if I had $100 laying around doing nothing. It's called an "Affirmation Station" and it's a very attractive clock that has a recorder in it.... you record your own affirmations in your own voice into it and turn it on when you go to sleep. It repeats your affirmations every minute for an hour (I think) and the volume progressively gets lower and lower. Then in the morning it starts an hour before you wake up, with the volume very low and getting louder and louder until your wake-up time...then a chime rings. Isn't that the coolest??????