Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 08:46
Jen B

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default "Fear of Fat"

Most of us on this forum were born at a time (or after) when the widespread low fat, low cholesterol rhetoric began in this country. We have been raised to fear fat, especially saturated fat. We have been told that saturated fat and cholesterol are the causes not only of obesity, but heart disease and other illnesses plaguing our population.

Well, the truth is coming out, slowly but surely. We have all been lied to. There are many theories as to why we have been lied to, whether it be through ignorance or through some sinister or clandestine agenda, but the fact is: IT IS NOT SATURATED FAT OR CHOLESTEROL THAT IS THE CULPRIT. IT IS SUGAR, GRAINS, HIGH CARBS, STARCH.

Mental programming dies hard. We are all programmed with a fear of fat and cholesterol. The only way to get over it is to research and read and experiment with our own physiologies.

Did you know?
Quote:
Mother's milk provides a higher proportion of cholesterol than almost any other food. It also contains over 50% of its calories as fat, much of it saturated fat. Both cholesterol and saturated fat are essential for growth in babies and children, especially the development of the brain... Yet, the American Heart Association is now recommending a low-cholesterol, lowfat diet for children! Commercial formulas are low in saturated fats and soy formulas are devoid of cholesterol. A recent study linked lowfat diets with failure to thrive in children... http://www.mercola.com/2002/aug/17/saturated_fat1.htm
The link at the end of the quote contains a very lengthy excerpt from "Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats" by Sally Fallon with Mary G. Enig, PhD (NewTrends Publishing 2000. It's a fascinating, enlightening read. It is well worth every minute it takes to peruse and absorb the material. If you want to begin to give up your fear of fat and cholesterol, sit down with a refreshing LC drink of your choice and read it through. It really clears up a lot of questions and concerns.

I'd love to start a discussion here about the truth about fats and cholesterol, and the effort to give up the dreaded "Fear of Fat."
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 09:08

Plan: atkins
Stats: 170/170/130 Female 63 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

Jen, Thanks for starting this discussion. There is so much information as well as misininformation available. This forum has helped me to be better informed.

However, I struggle daily with the psychological effects. Even tho' I want to believe with all my heart that y'all are right----I fight the battle of guilt everyday in my mind! I am doing 70/25/5 M & E at this time and subconsciously, I truly FEAR waking up to find I have gained 50 lbs instead of losing!!

Manaburn suggested I adopt "I have been lied to" as my mantra. I wish it was that easy. Everyday--I see more low fat propaganda. I feel so wishy-washy!

I want to believe what I read on this forum but it still unsettles me. Maybe it is the "if it's too good to be true" thing that holds me back from being able to embrace this WOE completely.

Thanks for opening this thread.

S
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 09:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/185/140 Female 5'2.5
BF:
Progress: 8%

This has been my main struggle and hurdle with the
WOE. I will do great for 2 months and look into one of those magazines full of lies and get really scared about the amount of fat I am eating. This always tosses me off the wagon. I really need to get it into my head I have been lied to and then maybe I can succeed. Thanks for the post.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 09:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/124/100 Female 4 feet 11 inches
BF:38%/25%/20%
Progress: 52%

I too am thankful for this thread. When I look at my adult life, I have been heavy 2 times. Both have been when I was "Watching" my weight (rise steadily) on Dr. Ornish's plan. This last time was triggered by my inlaws who have been very successfully reversing their heart disease. My MIL is upset about my new WOL. She is convinced that I'm hurting myself. Meanwhile, her weight is creeping up on her. I so want to direct her towards SB at least! I think that women (at least the ones I know) are more inclined to carbo load w/ bread on a lf diet. They are in maintenance, and eat meat a few times a week, and I see dad reach for another slice of pork, and mom grab another roll. Boy do I remember those days of denial. We have been lied to, and continue to be lied to. Everything about the added fat in my diet is a plus for me! I use less conditioner, less lotion, have fewer breakouts...not to mention that EVERY SINGLE SYMPTOM OF HYPERINSULINISM that I exhibited (which is most of them) Vanished. Gone. Almost immediately. My kids have their mom back! MY DH has his randy little lovebug back. I have me back! Burger anyone? Extra cheese and bacon???
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 09:45

BF:
Default Thanks!

I appreciate it it so much when people share the BENEFITS they have experienced with this WOE. It helps confirm that this is the way to go.

I do remember that, when I did a low fat diet years ago after my children were born, my hair fell out, what was left was thin and my nails were in terrible condition. My skin was horribly dry and lackluster.

Coconut oil has changed that! Maybe, all the other fat I am eating as well.

So--where did all the lies get started, anyway!? WHY did they think heart disease, high cholesteral, obesity, etc., was FAT related? Maybe if we go to where "the axehead was lost" we can reprogram our faulty thinking.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 09:56

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

It took me about a year to get over the "fear of fat" thing. When I first started Atkins, I remember thinking, "ok if this doesn't work, I am going to gain 50 lbs in no time." I was not worried about calories, and eating about 70% fat. Well, the weight immediately started falling off, so I felt pretty good. I was still a little uneasy about the high fat, though. Then, after doing Atkins for about 14 months I had a complete physical. Theh Dr. said everything was great, and my cholesterol numbers were excellent. At that point I was convinced that this was the proper way to eat. I have been at it for over 3 years now and have never felt better.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 10:24

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL53563
It took me about a year to get over the "fear of fat" thing. When I first started Atkins, I remember thinking, "ok if this doesn't work, I am going to gain 50 lbs in no time." I was not worried about calories, and eating about 70% fat. Well, the weight immediately started falling off, so I felt pretty good. I was still a little uneasy about the high fat, though. Then, after doing Atkins for about 14 months I had a complete physical. Theh Dr. said everything was great, and my cholesterol numbers were excellent. At that point I was convinced that this was the proper way to eat. I have been at it for over 3 years now and have never felt better.

OH JL! That is music to my ears. What a great testimony to keep us on the path. I do want to look good, but more than anything, I want to be healthy! You have accomplished both.

Thank you for sharing your fantastic success! I needed that!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 10:50
Jen B

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

About 6 months ago, at 241 lbs, I was shocked when my blood pressure was close to 200 over 90-something. Rather than take the BP medication, I started LC immediately. The BP immediately began to plummet. Now, it's in the 130s over 60-something. That' a huge improvement in a very short time!

I am 53 and I do not exercise (yet) because of a chronic pain/fatigue syndrome. I have lost 44 lbs in 6 months. This, to me, is an amazing accomplishment. As I lose weight and improve my health, my pain is starting to lessen, and soon I think I'll be able to incorporate some form of exercise.

I eat lots of saturated fat and cholesterol, and lots of protein: over 2 T of coconut oil every day, lots of eggs, animal fat, fatty fish, homemade mayo made with walnut oil, fish oil, olive oil. I never count calories, only carbs. Here are my numbers from a typical day:

1949 calories 151 fat grams 9 carbs 129 protein grams

Why Have We Been Lied To? That is the question of the day. Here's a theory I have:

The FDA, the AMA, and Big Pharma are all in bed together, and have been for quite a few decades. The big mega-corporations are in there too. It's all about $$$$. And how are those dollars generated? Big bucks are tossed in their direction only if people are ill. The 'powers that be' are not concerned about our health. They only thrive when we are sick. The doctors are owned by the AMA and Big Pharma, and they are trained to 'push drugs' and they promote sickness, not health. I'm not saying that doctors are all inherently evil. They've simply been trained (brainwashed) like just about everybody else.

Our country is not a 'one nation under god' proposition anymore; it's a corporation. The food pyramid is a joke, and it is still being pushed on us to pad the pockets of the power elite.

The only way we can prove out our assumption that we've been lied to and that everything is backwards and upside down is to become our own doctors and take responsibility for ourselves. We become our own guinea pigs. We venture bravely out of the mainstream and into the fringes. We begin to think for ourselves and to turn off to the propaganda machine.

I personally don't read magazines or newspapers, don't watch television, and don't go to doctors unless it's an emergency. I've jumped off the bus. I do my research and I think for myself. One credo I've come to live by is this: If the mainstream is pushing something and everyone is soaking it up like a herd of cattle, it's probably a lie. That old adage, "If everybody's doin' it, it must be right" for me has become "If everybody's doin' it, it must be wrong." I question everything!

The propaganda machine is firmly in place and doing what it does best: hypnotizing people to succumb and believe in its agenda. To break free takes a strong act of will.

'Nuff said for now. Let's keep this going!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 10:59

Plan: LC/IF and such
Stats: -/-/- Female 60 inches
BF:2 spare tires
Progress: 33%

can you all give me some more information on the issues of fat? My dh has recently started Atkins with me due to my begging, crying and bribing. He was doing lo cal and lo fat but LOADS of carbs. KWIM? So, he is now willing to eat what I do BUT I can't explain to him articulately how fat is actually good for you. TIA!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 11:02

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen B
About 6 months ago, at 241 lbs, I was shocked when my blood pressure was close to 200 over 90-something. Rather than take the BP medication, I started LC immediately. The BP immediately began to plummet. Now, it's in the 130s over 60-something. That' a huge improvement in a very short time!

I am 53 and I do not exercise (yet) because of a chronic pain/fatigue syndrome. I have lost 44 lbs in 6 months. This, to me, is an amazing accomplishment. As I lose weight and improve my health, my pain is starting to lessen, and soon I think I'll be able to incorporate some form of exercise.

I eat lots of saturated fat and cholesterol, and lots of protein: over 2 T of coconut oil every day, lots of eggs, animal fat, fatty fish, homemade mayo made with walnut oil, fish oil, olive oil. I never count calories, only carbs. Here are my numbers from a typical day:

1949 calories 151 fat grams 9 carbs 129 protein grams

Why Have We Been Lied To? That is the question of the day. Here's a theory I have:

The FDA, the AMA, and Big Pharma are all in bed together, and have been for quite a few decades. The big mega-corporations are in there too. It's all about $$$$. And how are those dollars generated? Big bucks are tossed in their direction only if people are ill. The 'powers that be' are not concerned about our health. They only thrive when we are sick. The doctors are owned by the AMA and Big Pharma, and they are trained to 'push drugs' and they promote sickness, not health. I'm not saying that doctors are all inherently evil. They've simply been trained (brainwashed) like just about everybody else.

Our country is not a 'one nation under god' proposition anymore; it's a corporation. The food pyramid is a joke, and it is still being pushed on us to pad the pockets of the power elite.

The only way we can prove out our assumption that we've been lied to and that everything is backwards and upside down is to become our own doctors and take responsibility for ourselves. We become our own guinea pigs. We venture bravely out of the mainstream and into the fringes. We begin to think for ourselves and to turn off to the propaganda machine.

I personally don't read magazines or newspapers, don't watch television, and don't go to doctors unless it's an emergency. I've jumped off the bus. I do my research and I think for myself. One credo I've come to live by is this: If the mainstream is pushing something and everyone is soaking it up like a herd of cattle, it's probably a lie. That old adage, "If everybody's doin' it, it must be right" for me has become "If everybody's doin' it, it must be wrong." I question everything!

The propaganda machine is firmly in place and doing what it does best: hypnotizing people to succumb and believe in its agenda. To break free takes a strong act of will.

'Nuff said for now. Let's keep this going!

Conspiracy effort, huh? Sheesh. It is very possible. Seems like when $$$ are involved, anything is possible

Boggles my brain. Maybe I cannot change the world but I am responsible for my little corner of the world--and it is going to be a LOW CARB corner!

LCers--REVOLT!

Jen--GREAT progress! Thanks for the encouragement!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 11:33
Jen B

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
From YogaMom: MY DH has his randy little lovebug back.
Oh yeah, baby!

Symphonyod: The link in my first post tells almost everything you would ever want to know about the truth behind fat and cholesterol. Maybe your DH would gain a lot by reading it.

Something just occurred to me. What is bread without the butter, the meat, the cheese, the mayo? What is pasta without the meatballs, the parmesan, the cream, the lc marinara sauce? What is a baked potato without the sour cream, the butter, the cheese? There is a reason why fat and protein taste so gd good! It's because it is SO GOOD for us! My 4 yoa granddaughter sits down to a meal and all she wants is the meat or the cheese. Her mother tries to push the peas or potatoes on her, to make her eat in a more "rounded" way, and she refuses.

On the other hand, lowfat stuff, at least to me, tastes like empty, cardboard-like crap. Skim milk? Mmmm! Plain broccoli? Yummy! Dry toast? Oh boy, can't wait!

Now carbs are a different thing. They are addictive. They have opioids in them. Once they're present in our diet in a big way, we get hooked. We end up craving them and for those of us with an addictive biochemistry, we gorge on them and they rule us. When they are removed from the diet, we quickly lose our cravings for them.

Not so with meat and fat. When's the last time you remember ODing on a big, juicy steak? Or on a nice bowl of melted garlic butter? No. We don't overeat or lose control on these things. They're concentrated and they're satisfying. They're real food. They hit the spot. A little goes a long way. And we never lose our taste for them.

Damn, I'm getting hungry. I'm gonna fry some Omega 3 eggs and leftover, well-marbled steak in ghee and enjoy!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 15:49

Plan: Protein Power /Bernstein
Stats: 250/225/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 25%

Gary Taubes has a new book coming out at the end of this month called "A Big Fat Lie". I preordered it from Amazon. I hope he gets as much publicity from this book as his watershed article from 2002 which is posted on this site. I believe he is a well respected scientific journalist.

http://www.lowcarb.ca/articlesb/article344.html

Just have to say I have never been that afraid of fat. I did research to find any negative aspects of Atkins before I started. I couldn't find anything negative that was substantiated by a study. I still haven't. On the contrary, I've found hundreds of articles and many books that say fat is good. The study that showed fat is bad had lumped saturated fats in with trans fats.

Fats are like the Air Force SR-71 as far is insulin is concerned -- not detected and no response.

Besides, I LOVE butter. I don't eat it on bread anymore, but I love it on green beens and broccoli. I used to lick it and share with my cat when I was a kid. I also ate the marrow out of beef bones.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 16:46

BF:

Gary Taubes may be my new favorite author! I certainly will add this to my "to read" stack.

If veterans can blame the Military for their cigarette caused lung cancer and McD's customers blame The Golden Arches for their obesity, maybe diabetes sufferers can blame the Government and their $%&*#~! Food Pyramid for their condition.

What a travesty. They should be held accountable.

Yes, I believe it is true--We have been DUPED!!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 17:18
Registered Member

Plan: Carnivanderthin
Stats: 296/283.5/145 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Jen,

Yes, I did know the information you posted, and it's good you brought it up. In the Atkins diet, it says that eating fat is not the problem, and I believe it. Even the human brain is made up of well over 70% fat.

Fat is harder to digest than carbs, so it keeps you from getting hungry again too soon. I know this from my own experience as well as from everything I've read. If I eat low-fat hamburger meat or cut the fat off the steak when I'm on Atkins, I get hungry much sooner than if I don't.

I just tried a new recipe: mashed cauliflower with lots of butter, cream and several different kinds of cheeses. It was offered as a "mashed potato substitute." It sounds like a heart attack on a platter, doesn't it? It was wonderful and very tasty because it was basically mashed fat with some vegetable inside. I had it with dinner as a side dish. Next day I took some to work as my entree for lunch. I couldn't even finish the amount I brought with me, and I wasn't hungry all afternoon because it is so loaded with fat from the cheese, butter and cream. Had it again for lunch today, and I ate even less of it than yesterday and STILL wasn't hungry all afternoon. I lost two pounds in the last three days eating all I wanted of this tasty, fat-laden dish and I have not been hungry between meals, which for me if I'm eating too many carbs is a constant problem.

You are absolutely right. The problem comes when you try to eat that way and are also having French bread and ice cream. Most people freak out about fat, yet you can easily find reports that the French, who are known for having cheese and butter loaded diets, are one of the most heart-healthy cultures on the planet. In addition to the red wine, which we don't drink even a fraction of what they do, the French are not sugar addicts like Americans. They eat sweets in moderation. Even their candy has less sugar than ours.

But this myth that all fat is bad dies hard, which is why I will never discuss what I eat or when I'm dieting with any of my co-workers or anyone else, members of this board excepted. I get tired of the debate, but more so of defending my choices, which I know are right for me.

Marie

Last edited by Fikirimi : Wed, Mar-15-06 at 17:25.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 18:58
Jen B

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Every morning, I melt about 3 T. of coconut oil, grind up 2 T. of flax seeds, add in 1 t. cinnamon, and a shake of stevia. I pour the mixture onto some cling wrap that I've placed in a small tupperware lid, then put it in the frig or freezer to harden. I eat it like a cookie with my coffee for breakfast. It sticks with me for hours.

I don't think fat is harder to digest than carbs. It is just slower, stays in the stomach longer, and requires a different process. Fat is very nutrient-dense and is absolutely required by the body. Carbs are not really required at all.

What I haven't tried yet is deep-fried bacon. (Just kidding, )