Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#271   ^
Old Sat, Mar-19-22, 06:48

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Yes, I noticed the discrepancy in those two milks, as well. It does seem like Big Food is discovering that people are interested in getting more protein. Oikos has a 20 protein gram yogurt that's 140 calories. I was looking through the ready-to-eat canned soups one day and might see "13 Grams of Protein" and then in the small print, "per can". I've been applying the 40% formula to these things and it's quite shocking sometimes how far away food is from being 40% protein - even turkey bacon! 2 grams of protein but 35 calories, most of them.

I was talking to one of the members of my weight loss club and she asked me what I ate the day before and I told her and how much protein it was, so I asked her what she ate and estimated generously about 75 gms for her day. One "meal" she had was soup, which is what got me looking at the soups. The best one of those I read labels on was Progresso Pot Roast soup which came out to 70 protein cals versus 90 total, iirc. Throw some collagen in there and it would be ok.

I'm going to challenge my group to increase their daily protein intake by 20 gm for a week, when we meet again next Thursday and I thought I'd better have some ideas for them to try.

Even my sister who has always been health-conscious, says she usually eats about 70 gm/day. With articles saying the RDA is only about 50, that's not surprising, but it's also a crying shame if all us old ladies could be improving our bone and muscle strength a lot by eating more protein but almost nobody is pushing it.

Everyone I've talked to has the same reaction "Oh, I could never eat that much protein". I thought that myself actually, but am finding it easier than I thought. It's just a matter of education and then trying it.
Sponsored Links
  #272   ^
Old Sat, Mar-19-22, 07:10

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

In Post #259, I linked to a new (to me) podcaster from NZ…an older woman and long time health nutritionist. well prepared with good questions. I am listening to her previous talks of interest, and started at her first with Dr Ben Bikman. Somewhere in there he mentions Whey Protein and Egg Whites as the best protein, and they, plus LF dairy are the three "cheat codes" Ted mentions for anyone having a hard time eating protein. Of course, Dr Bikman sells a whey shake, but rather than hear all the scary "processed food" concerns..they both highly recommend it.

If anyone in your group has Lipedema/Lymphdema, she interviewed Leslyn Keith, who has decades of experience and is very well known in that community.
  #273   ^
Old Sat, Mar-19-22, 19:10

Plan: Dr Ted Naiman + IF
Stats: 320/158/140 Female 5'10" age 56
BF:
Progress: 90%

I've long heard that eating more calcium helps with weight loss. I really think it has been key to my success.

I only eat about 75 grams of protein if left to my own devices. I have to work at eating more protein for sure.

I like Dr. Naiman's recent explanation of his approach - getting more 'satiety per calorie.'
  #274   ^
Old Fri, Mar-25-22, 09:46

In the last 4 weeks, I have lost 14.5 lbs. I only started putting food into Cronometer on the first so I have data for the last 24 days:

Energy 1506
Protein 147 gm (40%)
Net Carbs 96.8 gm (net carbs) 30%
Fat 48.6 gm (29%)

I looked back on my journal when I first came here and the cals and carbs are about the same but now it's higher protein, lower fat, and slightly higher weight loss.

It's been a learning experience but I'm getting better at it. Two meals a day wasn't working, so now I'm eating breakfast. Reading some of Ray Peat's stuff encouraged me to change which proteins I eat later in the day (less egg white, whey protein, especially casein, yogurt; more collagen/gelatin, milk, cheese) I'm sleeping better and not walking around with a clenched jaw all the time.

I think I have more to learn yet about what will work for me long term, and I need to be stepping up exercise next, but so far, so good.
  #275   ^
Old Fri, Mar-25-22, 20:32

Plan: Dr Ted Naiman + IF
Stats: 320/158/140 Female 5'10" age 56
BF:
Progress: 90%

JL - that is fabulous, great work!!
  #276   ^
Old Sat, Mar-26-22, 07:28

JL, Congrats! That's a fabulous loss when you have already been doing some version of low carb..forever.

I’ve put Marty's data on meal timing bar graph here somewhere, but those who can be satisfied by the fewest calories, tend to eat more a breakfast and lunch, which could be a 9-3 window. Have a satisfying high protein first meal and then finish "dinner" early. Not eat a big load of calories closer to bedtime.
  #277   ^
Old Sat, Mar-26-22, 08:03

Well, I can't really say I've been doing some version of low carb....just failing to do some version more often than not.

And yes, I saw Marty's meal timing info when he posted it but I thought at the time that I couldn't do it as I would be too hungry to fall asleep. This is where the extra protein comes in all day and also having some collagen/gelatin/milk/cheese/glycine in the evening. I'm not always sure I understand what Ray Peat says half the time, but I gather it has something to do with being diabetic (and probably somewhat hypothyroid), the casein that is not in cheese, the cortisol reaction that was always my problem on low carb, etc. It seems he's right, for me right now anyway as this is the best I've ever been able to sleep on lc. It makes me hopeful for the long term and it's been a long time since I thought that.

I thank you and Key Tones too for bringing so much info and commentary to this board.
  #278   ^
Old Sat, Apr-02-22, 10:32

A while back, someone mentioned liking Rachel Gregory's interview with Dr Ted Naiman, so I listened to it again.
https://www.metflexlife.com/blog/Ep...h-Dr-Ted-Naiman

They both were previously deep into the keto world, so the interview thoroughly covers the details why "keto/VLC" is not as successful as the higher protein approach. Why the Carbohydrate-Insulin model only partially explains obesity, why many can be successful on a low fat diet, or all the "black swans" around that theory. (19:30) He also talked about why very low carb diets are not as protein sparing as eating some carbs, that although carbs are "not essential" there is a "carb hunger" that needs to be met. Very Low Carb is not optimal long-term, and some reasons discussed are why I never reached my goal weight on it, why having some whole food carbs can contribute to why I feel so much better now, in addition to the increased nutrients from the expanded food list.
Sometimes watching a video of a podcast I heard 6 months ago is a whole new experience! Thanks to whoever mentioned this one

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Apr-03-22 at 10:02.
  #279   ^
Old Mon, May-23-22, 07:21

A new interview with Dr Naiman finally downloaded this morning. This is his second interview with Boundless Body Radio.
The first one was very good too…think I have already commented about it before.

This podcast Includes tips on how to increase protein (slowly and easily) if you are starting from a more typical low protein percentage.

https://www.myboundlessbody.com/pod...-ted-naiman-281

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, May-23-22 at 09:12.
  #280   ^
Old Mon, May-23-22, 09:03

Thanks for the alert, JEY.

To update my own progress following Dr. Naiman's ideas, I've lost 33 lbs in 12 weeks (as of last Thurs) averaging 1545 cals, 145 gm protein (39%), 106 net carbs, and 49 gm fat. This is the first time I can remember having no plateaus in that kind of a time period.

Basically, I've just swapped more protein for the fat I used to eat on lc as my cals and carbs are about the same. But it makes all the difference, of course, in how it feels which is sustainable, most importantly. I don't have that near-constant feeling of wanting to eat more. The more I was always wanting was protein evidently.
  #281   ^
Old Mon, May-23-22, 09:21

That's wonderful news!! Hope your "group" will take note of your success.

If you have read Marty Kendall's data on protein, and Ted Naiman's book, a 30% protein diet would solve the world's obesity problem and around 40% protein is optimal for sustainable weight loss. Bodybuilders push it higher but usually for a limited time. Your macros are perfect (and notably, not very low carb), the proof in your weight loss results.

https://optimisingnutrition.com/how...-your-appetite/
  #282   ^
Old Mon, May-23-22, 15:50

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLx
Basically, I've just swapped more protein for the fat I used to eat on lc as my cals and carbs are about the same. But it makes all the difference, of course, in how it feels which is sustainable, most importantly. I don't have that near-constant feeling of wanting to eat more. The more I was always wanting was protein evidently.
That's what works for me too. Naiman's saying "sugar hunger" does not exist and that an apple is satiating are certainly not true in my case. One small apple spikes my BG 32 points and causes unsustainable sugar cravings with grumbling stomach. No thanks! I'll stick with Marty Kendall's data-driven approach to what works for me. The 40% protein goal they both promote is working, though I cannot afford to follow Naiman's approach of buying 93%F meat and adding more fat to it when buying 85%F meat and not adding fat to it costs 30% less for the same total fat.

Last edited by deirdra : Mon, May-23-22 at 15:58.
  #283   ^
Old Tue, May-24-22, 14:23

Hope your "group" will take note of your success.

They've seen me lose weight before and always gain it back. I suspect they always see me as "extreme". Not eating sugar and now doubling my protein intake. Except my fellow diabetic, which is good. She's not tracking but "trying" to increase protein and losing weight too.

Yes, I've read Marty Kendall and I know Dr. Naiman says everyone can lose weight with 30% protein right down to an ideal weight and stay there. But he also said in one interview that it can take 3 years. I may not have 3 years! He also said something about 40% being good for diabetics, so I'm shooting for that and usually come close at least.

That's what works for me too. Naiman's saying "sugar hunger" does not exist and that an apple is satiating are certainly not true in my case.

If you notice, I average approx 100 carbs a day so we're not talking about the same thing. I've always lost weight eating around 100-120 carbs. That seems like a satisfying amount to me, so I agree with him.
  #284   ^
Old Wed, May-25-22, 15:59

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLx

Even my sister who has always been health-conscious, says she usually eats about 70 gm/day. With articles saying the RDA is only about 50, that's not surprising, but it's also a crying shame if all us old ladies could be improving our bone and muscle strength a lot by eating more protein but almost nobody is pushing it.

I seem to remember the 90s were a peak of "you don't need all that protein, you need carbs."
  #285   ^
Old Thu, May-26-22, 05:07

The vegan in my weight loss club once said, "Americans eat too much protein".

She has developed so many food allergies/intolerances and gut issues that there are few things she can eat. Wheat is one of them so she makes her own seitan.

She was actually toying with the idea of collagen at one time but then re-read her vegan books and that was the end of that.

My club is an interesting study in human nature, especially the adage, "Nothing changes if nothing changes."