Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 00:27

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 283/238.0/160 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default info about green tea please?

some folks are saying that green tea helps speed up the metabolism, is it true? is it anyone in particular??? more info needed please - thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 00:42

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

I think it helps. It certainly gets rid of water. You need to drink quite a lot to get the metabolistic (is that a word) benefits. About 5 - 6 cups a day. If you buy one with vanilla or some other flavour it is more palitable.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 06:19

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 193/167/150 Female 5'10?
BF:
Progress: 60%

I bought green tea capsules at GNC . 315 mg . I wonder how many cups of tea equals a capsule or how many capsules equal a cup of tea. It says to take one a day. I wonder if I could take more. I just know it's an antioxidant and Dr Atkins recommends using it. Cindy
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 14:44
Contributing Member

Plan: atkins-neanderthin-"my way"
Stats: 140/124/124 Female 1.68 cm
BF:20.5%
Progress: 100%

i found this you might find interesting:
Green tea
What Is It?

Legend has it that in ancient times, a Chinese emperor was drinking some hot water when leaves from a nearby tea shrub (Camellia sinensis) dropped into his cup. He apparently liked the soothing drink that resulted from this chance event. And so began what is today a worldwide love affair with tea. It's now second only to water as the most popular drink in the world.

Interestingly, research studies in recent years have confirmed the presence of various healing substances that provide the therapeutic properties long ascribed to the ubiquitous tea leaf. Of particular importance are potent antioxidant chemicals called polyphenols that help guard against many kinds of basic cell damage.

To prepare green tea, the leaves of Camellia sinensis are steamed, rolled, and dried. Black and oolong teas come from the same plant, but the leaves are processed differently (they are fermented) and therefore don't provide the same types of therapeutic effects as green tea does. Products labeled gunpowder tea are also green tea. These pellets, imported from China, are just tightly compressed green tea leaves that will unfold when steeped.

In addition to the tea, a number of different forms of green tea supplements are now available.

Health Benefits

Green tea is well-established as a potent source of healing antioxidants--the same beneficial compounds found in fruits and vegetables, and even in red wine. The leaf also boasts the presence of a superstar antioxidant called EGCG (epigallocatechin-gallate) as well as other notable healing substances, including fluoride, catechins, and tannins.

Many of the medicinal claims made for green tea haven't been examined outside a laboratory setting, specifically in clinical trials that assess the plant's health effects in people. On the other hand, the pure research findings are exciting, and there certainly appears to be no harm in integrating this ancient brew (or green tea supplements) into your daily diet.

For example, ongoing research suggests that thanks to its numerous and varied antioxidant compounds, sipping green tea regularly may help to prevent various types of cancer, guard against heart disease by lowering cholesterol levels and reducing blood pressure, promote longevity, stave off tooth decay (the tea contains the cavity fighter, fluoride), help heal gum infections, and provide a number of other benefits.

Researchers have found that only about 10 ounces of green tea will significantly increase the body's antioxidant capacity for at least two hours. These increases are similar to those reported after drinking 10 ounces of red wine, another famed source of antioxidants; however, wine should be limited as a health drink because of its alcoholic content.

Because it contains astringent tannin compounds, green tea in moderation can ease indigestion, diarrhea, and other forms of stomach upset. Swiss researchers even have preliminary evidence that green tea accelerates the burning of fat calories in people who are overweight. A small but interesting 1999 study reported in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition reported increased energy expenditure and fat oxidation in men who took a green tea extract as opposed to a placebo or caffeine alone.

Specifically, green tea may help to:

Prevent cancer. The antioxidant EGCG sets in motion a process called apoptosis. Interestingly, the cell death that ensues only affects cancer cells, not healthy ones. EGCG may well enhance the body's natural antioxidant system as well, encouraging the elimination of damaging oxygen molecules called free radicals.

One large-scale study in China found that people who drank as little as one cup of green tea a week for six months had a reduced risk of developing certain kinds of cancers (rectal, pancreatic, and others) than did people who drank green tea less frequently or not at all. Other preliminary research indicates that green tea can help to combat breast, stomach, and skin cancer.

Counter aging. Given the latest findings on the potent antioxidants in green tea, it's no wonder that this brew has long been touted for promoting long life. Its high antioxidant concentrations apparently enhance longevity by fighting heart disease and cancer, among other ailments. According to epidemiologic studies, Japanese men and women who drink five to 10 cups of green tea daily are more likely to live longer (they're also more likely to stay cancer- and heart disease-free).

Treat arthritis. Antioxidants in green tea may prevent and reduce the severity of osteoarthritis. Studies have shown that if you consume approximately four cups of green tea a day you may be able to protect yourself from developing arthritis, and if you already have arthritis, consuming green tea can help to diminish the inflammation it causes.

If you need more info go to:www.wholehealthmd.com
I drink lots of it cold and hot and I love it
Well,bye for now
mamasita
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 18:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/159/135 Female 63 inches (five 3)
BF:5'3"
Progress: 47%

WOW. thanks so much for all the info!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 20:27

i foudn a little about possible help with weight loss-

The Japanese Green Tea may control your blood sugar: Green tea polyphenols and polysaccharides are effective in keeping a check on high levels of blood sugar. The catechins and polysaccharides in green tea have been shown to play a key role in this reduction, which has helped in the treatment of diabetes. The polyphenols present in the green tea inhibit the production of enzymes that break down sugar. Green tea reduces glucose and insulin levels - hence, it helps people who may be prone to suffering from diabetes, heart disease and excess body fat.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 04:12
Nursing Mama

Plan: High fat 80/15/5
Stats: 255/243/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

I love my green tea! I get an organic, decaf green tea at the Asian grocery store, and it's very reasonably priced there rather than at the grocery store.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 16:16

Plan: Atkins/low carb mix
Stats: 206/184/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Size 12
Progress: 29%

I read a long article today about it helping with diabetes and blood sugar. The article says to aim for 7 cups a day or 250mg of extract. I think I'll be checking this out.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 19:08

7 cups.. wow.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 09:08

i found a website that explains the weight loss effects of green tea very well.
http://www.smart-publications.com/a...7-greentea.html

also, i'll take the most important part out and just post it here.

One recent study confirms that tea catechins—potent antioxidants—are effective in suppressing increases of glucose and insulin concentrations in the blood. Since blood sugar tends to increase with age, this effect is an extremely important anti-aging benefit.3 Another study indicates that one of the specific catechins, epigallocatechin gallate (EGCg), lowers appetite, body weight, blood sugar, and insulin levels. 4

Plus, tea polyphenols inhibit the activity of amylase, a starch-digesting enzyme found in saliva and in the intestines. Starch is broken down more slowly, and the rise in serum glucose is minimized, so that you don’t crave sweets and other snack foods after eating a meal. 5 Since insulin is our most fattening hormone and, with cortisol, our most pro-aging hormone, if you take green tea in the form of a nutritional supplement, you gain a wide range of benefits that accompany calorie and insulin control.

hope it helps!
oh, i've also been looking for cup equivalents to the pill form of green tea, and i've found that for around 250 mg capsules, websites claim its equal to about 7-10 cups of tea.

#11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 09:56
Contributing Member

Plan: atkins-neanderthin-"my way"
Stats: 140/124/124 Female 1.68 cm
BF:20.5%
Progress: 100%

nice work S !!!!!!!
Thnxs,
M
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 08:43

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

While I do drink green tea daily, as my only form of caffeine, I wouldn't recommend its antioxidant properties, especially if you are going to buy flavored stuff with additives and such.

In the studies that are touting control of blood sugar (the ones I have read), etc. they are using the NON caffeinated form in capsules. Drinking enough green tea, especially caffeinated, would undo much of the good work of the antioxidants, since caffeine produces a rise in adrenaline, a stress hormone. Long Life Organic Decaffeinated green tea is a good bet if you REALLY want to drink 7 cups per day. I must say, I keep this on hand because I CAN drink that much and because I like it. Yes, it is an acquired taste for we Westerners, especially to drink it properly with no added sweeteners.

Also, most low carb plans that I know say to limit caffeine because it raises blood sugar, again, undoing the benefits of the antioxidants in green tea.

So, my conclusions are that organic green tea, if you must have caffeine, is the best way to do the least amount of harm. I get great Long Life organic green teas (and other stuff) from vitacost.com. I really like the Jasmine and the one with Gingko. If you're looking for weightloss and BIG antioxidant effects, take a good pharmaceutical grade green tea capsules. Again, vitacost.com carries NSI brand which is the highest quality you can buy, which means you get the expected benefits - THAT's a good value (as opposed to buying cheap stuff that doesn't do anything).

My 5 bucks worth, now back to my cuppa tea...
Jinx
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 09:52

i never thought about the problems associated with the caffiene. thanks a bunch!