Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Students & Teens
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 15:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 212/212/150
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default diet coke and caffiene

ive taken up suger free orange soda, is this going to be ok, because i heard the caffiene in diet coke can stall weight loss, although it hasnt stalled my weight loss, curious to know cause coke as well as gum help with my craving periods.
And with the gum, I got the sugar free kind with aspartme in it, but ive now heard that aspartme also causes issues with weight loss too.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 15:29

Stats: 205/205/130
BF:
Default Aspartame

Look for Splenda (sucralose) instead of aspartame. Aspartame may or may not affect your weight loss. The main thing is that it is technically a chemical poison. Splenda is made from sugar and supposedly safe. Diet Rite, Diet Hansen's, and some others are made with Splenda. They use the pure, liquid form of it which has absolutely no carbohydrate content. The solid form you buy in stores has some stuff added to give it bulk, so it has a few carbs- not enough for the label to show it. If you do use a lot of Splenda, figure you're eating a carb or two with every few servings.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 15:36

Stats: 212/212/150
BF:
Unhappy sodas?

I guessing you mean i should find a soda which is sweeted with surcalose but i can only seem to find aspartme or acesulframe k. put i'll try, thanx
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 11:17

Stats: 340/245.5/180 Male 5ft 11in
BF:
Progress: 59%
Thumbs up Aspartame

This was taken from an article on WebMD - take it for what it is worth.

Aspartame has come under fire in recent years from individuals who have used the Internet in an attempt to link the sweetener to brain tumors and other serious disorders. But FDA stands behind its original approval of aspartame, and subsequent evaluations have shown that the product is safe. A tiny segment of the population is sensitive to one of the sweetener's byproducts and should restrict intake. However, the agency continually monitors safety information on food ingredients such as aspartame and may take action to protect public health if it receives credible scientific evidence indicating a safety problem.

Other organizations give aspartame and the other approved sugar substitutes a thumbs up. For example, the American Heart Association endorses their use by diabetics and those on weight-loss diets. The American Diabetes Association calls sugar substitutes "free foods" because they make food taste sweet, but they have essentially no calories and do not raise blood sugar levels.

The complete article can be found at:
http://my.webmd.com/content/article/1680.51108
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-17-02, 00:12

Plan: CAD
Stats: 249.5/217/184
BF:45.2/36.8/25
Progress: 50%
Default Diet Coke...its my addiction

Okay, I LOVE diet coke, but I'm thinking I have to give it up...I crave it quite often and so at the end of this case, its goodbye diet coke!

What can I drink instead? If I drink any pop, its gonna make me crave my DC...so other than my water, any suggestions?

Also, I bought a generic lo-cal sweeter, which says it has .5g of carbs/packet, anyway I don't think its aspartame, the ingredients are dextrose, sodium cyclamate, and silicon dioxide...is this okay to use???
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 00:31

Plan: Curves
Stats: 145/145/128
BF:24
Default DC

Just thought I'd mention that you can get Diet Caffiene Free Coke.....so, at least you get rid of the caffeine problem.....although you are still stuck with the aspertame. boo!! I also heard that aspertame has cancer causing agents in it!! scary!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 03:19
Registered Member

Stats: 158.2/136/121.8
BF:
Progress: 61%
Default sounds very unexciting, but.........

Hiya!
I've pretty much stopped drinking diet coke, coffee etc. and have found that chilled soda water (not tonic water) seems to curb my occasional desire to have a sweet drink - must be the bubbles in it or something, but it does the job for me - might be worth a shot.
Also - I drink peppermint tea (make 1 teabag last through about 6-7 mugs of water) and green tea, instead of coffee and don't find it too much of a hardship either....I used to get through 10 plus cups of instant/day. I still have the occasional cup of coffee if I end up stuck in town for the day and have a hot drink at a relly's place.

Cheers
Lynne
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 04:09

Plan: atkins-modified
Stats: 228/185/154 Female 172cm
BF:
Progress: 58%
Thumbs up

I stopped drinking diet coke a long time ago, after reading concerns about the phosphoric acid inhibiting calcium takeup. I was worried that my little girl would get the habit. Girls who drink it in their teens are seriously at risk of osteoporosis in later life, apparently. Has anyone else heard about this?

Also it is chemical junk.

As I had the motivation to give up, my daughter's health, I did it. Now if I drink it on an odd occasion, I find that it tasts pretty vile!
My girl drinks a lot of mineral water..loves the bubbles.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Oct-13-02, 10:18
Registered Member

Stats: 148/147/125 Female 5' 8
BF:
Progress: 4%

Those orange sodas are caffiene free , so is sprite and root beer
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Oct-13-02, 11:46
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

I have found that just about any fake sugar stalls me. I haven't had a problem with limiting myself to no more than 2 diet sodas in a day (if that) and only drinking them with a meal. If I have them alone, they start a craving.