Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-20, 11:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/general low carb
Stats: 196/183/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 20%
Angry The Atkins legacy has sold out!

This just ticks me off to no end! What a sham they've made of Dr. Atkins company!

Instagram Atkins Nutritional
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-20, 11:41

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Ya, sold out to the higher powers. And all about$$$$ now

I only use Dr Akins books..... the ones he authored.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-20, 14:16

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Yep, total sell out, but keep in mind that Atkins Nutritionals never offered anything of value to low carbers, Paleo, or keto advocates. People who initially commit to low carb are the most likely consumers who think they'll crave snacks with the same frequency as when they ate SAD. This ad campaign with a new celebrity indicates to me they're expanding their food offerings. Buyers beware.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-20, 15:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

There's a lot about the "New Atkins" that annoys me, but if you look at that plate graphic, you'll notice that the suggested foods and proportions are very much in line with what Dr. Atkins recommended as you move up the ladder. A lot of people, if not most, erroneously think of Atkins as the induction phase.

The thing is a lot of newbies are attracted to the New Atkins as it's presented because they think they can have their cake and eat it too (pun intended) by substituting real food with things like shakes, bars, and frozen dinners. Weight Watchers does the same thing, but that's a whole nuther enchilada.

Last edited by barb712 : Sat, Feb-08-20 at 18:02.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-20, 18:40

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

When things go corporate, their obligation is to the stockholder, not the consumer.

Unlike a small business which must stay afloat year after year and only keep up with inflation to survive, a corporation needs to make more and more profit every quarter or the stockholders will bail out.

Understanding this is understanding why they sold out. After all the low carb people are buying as much as they want from Atkins, how do they increase profits? Make it so more people can join the fold, even if it isn't going to be as good for the increased audience.

Corporationalism is capitalism gone wild, and we have to know that to make informed choices.

Note: I am a capitalist and own 2 small businesses. I don't want to get rid of capitalism, but we need to protect ourselves from the robber barons who IMO have returned in different clothing.

We can do that at the marketplace.

Bob
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-20, 18:48

BF:

Good post, Bob! Well said, and I agree.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-20, 19:39

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

I Rob Lowe
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-20, 14:28

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
I Rob Lowe

Me too!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-20, 15:00

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

I suppose if someone just wanted to lose a few pounds, and didn't have any real metabolic problems, that plate would be ok - it's certainly a good bit better than the food pyramid or My Plate, that's for sure.

I'm assuming that the percentages are intended to represent the percentage of your plate for each category, not percentage of calories, because you could end up with a LOT of carbs, and very little fat if it's percentage of calories.

How it actually turns out depends a lot on what you're putting in each area.

30% of one of my dinner plates covered with scrambled eggs - that's a LOT of eggs! Alternately, it could hold 2 medium sized chicken thighs, or a nice big, thick hamburger patty.

10% of my dinner plate holding macadamia nuts or butter - that's a LOT of macadamias, or about 1/2 stick of butter.

10% of my dinner plate holding whole grain - that's only about 1/2 of a slice of bread (why even bother with bread, if that's all I can have?)

10% of my dinner plate holding low glycemic fruit - so about 2 sliced strawberries, or maybe 10-12 raspberries.

40% of my dinner plate holding veggies - those asparagus spears are long! Laying them side by side, just a few of them covers that entire area.

Aside from the fact that it's not what Dr Atkins would have advised, and the fact that I don't eat all those things at every meal, it doesn't sound too bad for LC, especially since I don't see any point at all in bothering with a lousy 1/2 slice of bread.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-20, 17:53

BF:

People who follow Atkins don't do percentages. I can't help but believe that that pie chart is attempting to conform to some mainstream thing beyond my understanding.

Last edited by barb712 : Sun, Feb-09-20 at 18:15.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-20, 08:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb712
People who follow Atkins don't do percentages. I can't help but believe that that pie chart is attempting to conform to some mainstream thing beyond my understanding.

Exactly - those who do Atkins (as Dr A wrote the diet) don't count percentages, whether percentages of calories, or percentages of a plate. Those may be the percentages of your plate that it works out to though. (with the exception of those grains and starchy veggies - those are still irksome to see there)

It could be a ploy to conform to the current pie chart mentality of diet (it's not just My Plate - keto macros are most often represented as a pie chart), or it could be that many new to Atkins (which admittedly is watered down and geared as much as possible toward the convenience of using their bars and shakes) are those who are used to using the My Plate graphic, and want to understand what LC should actually look like on their plate. The My Plate graphic was introduced in 2011 - there are plenty of people who have spent the last 9 years trying to lose weight by following that graphic, many of them after decades of trying to lose weight by following food pyramid graphics. For someone like that, at least it's a visual of what portion of your plate each category of food should occupy on LC.

... With the exception of that irksome grains and starchy veggies wedge, of course - totally unnecessary, and misleading, especially for those new to Atkins. They haven't provided any explanation of it's existence there, and while I think it's just a way to rationalize Atkins bars, it's possible they really intend for this graphic to be a representation of maintenance, for those who are able to resume eating grains and starchy foods at all.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-20, 07:49

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I'm okay with it, because some people are not going to do it right. The mere thought of revamping what they eat so radically will give them the screaming willies, and they won't do it.

If you give them a way to stick their toe in, they might. We're outliers people; from the scientists to the desperately ill or even both. WE can make a radical change.

I don't know what percentage of the Population Plate that is, but it's not a lot, is it?
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-20, 18:21

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I'm okay with it, because some people are not going to do it right. The mere thought of revamping what they eat so radically will give them the screaming willies, and they won't do it.

If you give them a way to stick their toe in, they might. We're outliers people; from the scientists to the desperately ill or even both. WE can make a radical change.

I don't know what percentage of the Population Plate that is, but it's not a lot, is it?

I don't know either, but I hear there's enough people doing LC or keto macros (not strict keto) to wipe out Aldi's keto/zero carb breads so quickly that it sounds like each store ends up needing to set purchase limits on it.

Yes, I know that strict keto doesn't use any grains at all, and those breads definitely contain grains, but they're processed in such a way (yeah, highly processed ) that they're all fiber, so it works out to zero net carbs per slice. For those that can do grains with no physical/digestive problems, or cravings for the real thing, that could be a way to help ease into LC or keto. Or for those who just can't seem to imagine life without bread, an option to use instead of succumbing to eating the real thing. I'm not making a judgement on their choice or what they're able to use - As we often say on here, we're all an example of N=1, so if someone is able to use those breads with no problem, and it helps them stay on their plan, good for them.

Personally, I'm still waiting for our local Aldi locations to actually get some of the bread, because I want to try it. I have a LC bread recipe that I make once or twice a year, mostly to use for bread crumbs in 2 recipes that I make a few times a year, but my recipe is still a few carbs per slice, and I'm not too wild about some of the ingredients in my recipe, so I thought I'd give this stuff a try... whenever we finally get it around here.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-20, 08:49

BF:

The newer Atkins plans aren't just about being able to eat grains and faux food products, and it isn't just for beginners. I've found Atkins 40 very helpful (a life saver, in fact) as a pre-maintenance and lifetime plan because I kept failing at the ladder climbing, didn't really get it, and needed something simpler yet more structured to keep going. The recommended acceptable foods (same as post-induction traditional Atkins), portions and macros work beautifully for me. I don't pay much attention to the rest. Just like any other plan, do what works for you.