Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, May-10-03, 22:21
Recovering Yo-Yo

Plan: What's best for me
Stats: 291.6/147/164 Female 5'8"
BF:A work in progress
Progress: 113%

Looking forward to hearing about your results. When you post....can you include the number of eggs you eat per day...I want to try this but am worried that the average 6 everyone has mentioned will leave me running for the refridgerator! As it is now, I usually have three for breaky.

Let us know how it goes.

Keep smiling

Jo
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 06:35

Plan: atkins
Stats: 141/125/120 Female 57 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Hi - don't worry about being hungry with 6 or 7 eggs a day. I scrambled mine in lots of butter or made egg salad with lots of mayo so I was never hungry. I just felt bad. When I was much younger, there was no problem and I stayed on the egg diet for days - don't remember how many. I think my prob was age more than not enough food. Actually I had at least 1100 calories a day.

BTY, it has been 2 days since I went back to regular low carb and my my scale is still reading 125.

The only thing that worries me about the egg fast is that some say that eating too much of one food can cause an allergy to that food. If we become allergic to eggs that would mean that we couldn't get flu shots. And, allergy to eggs can be very dangerous.
  #33   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 18:22

Plan: atkins-ish
Stats: 398/391/299 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default CAREFUL!!!

Sorry I haven't been around for a while!!

PLEASE EAT MORE THAN 6 EGGS A DAY!!!!!! Heck I eat 6 eggs at one sitting! You will put your body in starvation mode if you don't eat enough therefore it will hold on to the weight by slowing your metabolism down!

I'm thinking that the "Egg Diet" mentioned from the 50's is different from the idea of the "Fat Fast" mentioned by Dr. Atkins, which is what the "Egg Fast" is based on.

When I did the egg fast I ended up eating about 12 eggs a day and that's b/c I don't usually eat breakfast.

But I just wanted to share what WORKED FOR ME .

Also, please remember to take your vitamins and drink TONS of water!

Take care all!!!
  #34   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 18:59
Recovering Yo-Yo

Excellent! Knew I wouldn't be able to survive on only 6 eggs. I think I will give it a shot next week if I don't get past this stall.

Thanks for your input everyone!
  #35   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 19:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins-Induction
Stats: 193/173/170 Female 5'4
BF:33.1%/30.4%/24%
Progress: 87%

Man.. I'd really been stalling but finally I got through my first day of the egg fast. Not too hard at all. I ate fried eggs THREE times today lol that got a bit boring so I boiled some up for some egg salad tomorrow. I ate 2 for breakfast, 3 for lunch, and 3 for dinner. I feel satisfied and I actually only ate when I was hungry so I have to say that I'm rather proud of myself I also drank about 100 oz of water. I plan to do this egg fast for the very LEAST 2 days, I'm shooting for 3 days and 4 would be great! Wish me luck you guys, I hope to post on Friday morning with some positive things to say, good results and stat changes! Also, Friday is my senior prom and that would totally make my day even better. Anyway sorry this post is getting so long Thanks for the encouragment and for listening to me blab I wish ya'll the best of luck!
  #36   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 20:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 223.5/192.5/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Starchile is right, 6 eggs is WAY too little to eat in a day. Here is my menu for the 3 days I did the egg fast:

Day 1: breakfast 5 scrambled eggs
lunch 3 fried eggs
dinner 4 fried eggs 12 eggs total

Day 2: breakfast 5 scrambled eggs
lunch 3 HB eggs
dinner 4 fried eggs
snack 2 HB eggs 14 eggs total

Day 3: breakfast 4 fried eggs
snack 1 HB egg
lunch 4 HB eggs
dinner 4 fried eggs 13 eggs total

Sounds pretty gross, but I was surprised it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Never hungry, no cravings. Lost 4 lbs. Pretty good trade for a few days I think.

One hint is to use onion powder with the eggs when you fry them in about 1 cup of oil. Very delicious.

As for keeping it off, I had my TOM right afterward plus had to live on atkins bars while I packed up and moved away, so the scale went up some, but as soon as TOM was over I was back down to what I lost from the egg fast. Now I'm on induction and have lost another pound in addition!

Good luck everyone!

Katie
  #37   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 20:44
Recovering Yo-Yo

Thanks so much for posting Katie. It's always a challenge to stick to one food item, but I was going crazy thinking I could only eat 6 eggs in one day and that was it....LOL.

Congrats on your loss & keep up the good work!

Jo
  #38   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 21:21

BF:

Where is this egg fast survey people have talked about??

Katie
  #39   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 09:18

Stats: 167/141/135
BF:22.5%
Progress: 81%

Hi all--

I've only posted on here once or twice but I have to tell you my Egg fast story because it really worked for me. I had been stuck at 147-149 for months and then suddenly I dropped to 145 and then got stuck there, too (FOREVER). It was super frustrating and I was trying to get past it for an event I had to go to this last weekend. Being stuck at one number for weeks on end is really a low motivator for me and I was on here one day and read about the eggs. I've always had a good appetite (even with the ketosis effects) and so I was always afraid to do the fat fast as eating some nuts and cheese just didn't satisfy me (mentally perhaps?). I like to eat. Anyway, I decided to do the eggs for a couple of days but I also added butter and cream cheese to make them tastier and to keep my calories at about 1400. Not too hard to do if you add the fats to the eggs. Well, I was never hungry at all... I ate a late lunch of my fried eggs with butter and cream cheese and then a dinner of the same. A little high in calories for one sitting those two times a day but it didn't seem to bother my system. The moral of the story is I quickly went from 145 down to 141 as well as lost inches and it stayed... Didn't come back like water weight or anything. I went back to induction foods for a couple of days afterwards and then back to my regular "somewhere between induction and weight-loss mode."

The eggs seem to work. I don't know if they throw us into ketosis quickly (I usually have a hard time getting into it and I don't test for it as a general rule) or what, but it works. I wouldn't do it for more than a few days or if you've really been stalled or you just need some super motivation but it sure worked for me -- MENTALLY & PHYSICALLY.

167/141/135
  #40   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 09:24

Stats: 167/141/135
BF:22.5%
Progress: 81%

Hey - I just noticed one of you is from Kennewick, WA! Wow... I'm in Calif. now but I grew up in Richland. Very small world.

K.
  #41   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 16:40

Plan: Atkins/fasting
Stats: 263/246/160 Female 67 inches
BF:39.9/29.7/21.9
Progress: 17%

My friend and I both did the egg fast Sun-Tue. She lost 5 pounds, and I lost 6!! I am so excited over this. I went to work and told everyone, now two more people are going on it. I lost 15 pounds before the eggfast (since April1) and no one said a thing to me about losing weight. Today everyone made comments!

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! For telling us about this!
  #42   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 20:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins-Induction
Stats: 193/173/170 Female 5'4
BF:33.1%/30.4%/24%
Progress: 87%

Well,
I've got good news and bad news. The bad news is I only got through the egg fast one day, almost two but I ate on the night of the second day. And the good news, I lost about 2 1/2 pounds! I'm so excited.. I think I might try it again this weekend. It's too hard to do at work when you can't really bring anything.. but more good news, at work there was TONS and TONS of junk! I'm talking Licorice, Gummy worms, sour gummy worms, chuckles, pie, doughnuts... ahh it was horrible! But I didn't TOUCH IT! I was so proud Anyway, I'll be sure to let ya know if I do it again.. Good Luck
  #43   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 13:12

BF:

Congrats wannabeski!! I know how good it feels when you know you would have pigged out on that stuff before the lifestyle change! Just think of the lbs. you avoided gaining!!

Armatur: Yes I am from kennewick, well kinda

I was originally from yakima, WA and then moved to the tricities in 98. Just 2 weeks ago I moved back home to live w/ my parents and save some money so I am back in Yakima now.

Neat that you are from Richland I love that area.

Congrats everyone w/ your egg fast success!!!!

Two warnings however: For C-u-lean who said people at her work are now doing it.. unless they are on a LC diet, that weight will just come back and maybe plus some. It is not something you should go on if you aren't on a LC diet because they don't understand the reason they are losing and will go right back to their old way of eating.

Also, if you are not stalled (not losing for 3 weeks or more) DO NOT do this fast. Why? Because then when you DO stall, you may not have any options. Your body is smart and doing this too often may make it less successful.

Good luck all!!!!!

Katie
  #44   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 22:04

Stats: 180/174/145
BF:

ok, I have been trying the Atkins diet but have been dissappointed in both lose and my ketosis strips. I haven't lost anything although we all feel better (my dd & dh are sticking with me as much as they can). I think I'll try the egg fast and see if it will jump start my ketosis. Thanks for all your great posts
  #45   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 22:08

Stats: 180/174/145
BF:
Question drink

I'm sorry, I should have asked in the last post but what did you drink? I'm cutting back on coffee, drinking diet dew, and trying to remember all my water. Any advice?