Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-02-02, 18:12

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%
Exclamation What the heck? Protein turns to fat? Im scared!

I just read this on some article on oxygen.com..

(eww carbs)...
Meeting your protein needs with your diet is a cinch as long as you are not restricting your calories and are eating plenty of carbohydrates (bread, pasta, veggies, and fruits) that can be used for energy.

Just don't overdo it. Eating too much protein IS bad for your kidneys, because your body has to break the excess protein down. The waste products are literally flushed down the toilet. (Sorry for the graphics.) If you have eaten your quota of calories for the day, the overload of calories from the protein will be stored as fat.

Um..I'm scared now. First carbs turn into fat now its protein? What the heck did I miss?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-02-02, 18:47

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I tried to find the article you mentioned on oxygen but couldn't locate it. I think the author of this article first is assuming that you are eating "plenty of carbohydrates" as they put it. In that case, yes, excess protein would be eventually converted to fat because there would also be an excess of insulin in the bloodstream to assist in that process and the body would have plenty of glucose to use as an energy souce from the carbs and therefore not need the protein for energy. As far as the excess protein being bad for your kidneys because the body has to break the excess down...ummm...unless I'm terribly mistaken, the body has to break down the protein anyway during digestion so that the nutrients can be absorbed into the bloodstream whether there is an excess of it or not (it's called normal digestion). Also...did the author of the article quote specific studies and sources to back up their opinions? If not, all you have is their opinion, not scientific fact. Dr. Atkins has publically challenged anyone to produce a case of kidney disease that could directly be attributed to low carbing in a person with formerly healthy kidneys and so far noone has come forward to produce such a case. My guess would be because there aren't any cases to produce. Relax, slim...you're not going to get fat eating protein and low carb.