Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 07:04

Plan: Walker Diet
Stats: 238/227.4/165 Female 68inches
BF:44.9/42.8/25
Progress: 15%
Question Net Carbs

I am wondering what the opinion of net carbs versus the ones listed on the label are in this forum.

Are net carbs real or just a marketing ploy to get LCers to buy products and spend money, my Atkins pocket counter does list them, but they seem higher than some of these new items on the market.

I only have a couple of 'lo carb' items, ice cream and Carb Wise bars, I feel like I am lying to myself when I only count the 2-3 net carbs when the label is so much higher, which should I count?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 07:31
Getting back to me

Plan: LC WW
Stats: 176/167.2/145 Female 5'7" in
BF:
Progress: 28%

I agree that some of these products are deceiving. I think it's safe to subtract fiber, since it's undigestable, but I don't subtract sugar alcohols. In fact, I stay away from them as much as possible.

My two cents....

Dana
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 07:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Well, there are different kinds of deductible carbs, and it's a YMMV issue (Your Mileage May Vary.)

Fiber, being indigestible, doesn't impact your blood sugar and in fact slows up carbs moving into your bloodstream. I easily deduct those, as do most people.

Sugar alcohols, (the malitol, etc, usually end in "ol") are a form of artificial sweetener and have varying degrees of impact. For malitol, I've seen the figure of 50% tossed around. Diabetics and those with access to a blood glucose meter can tell for certain, and of course, should. Since I don't have one, I just go by my feeling of hunger afterwards. Atkins bars are satisfying for a few hours, so I feel I get along with them. Other brands of bars make my body act as though I'd just scarfed down a couple of twinkies instead, and make me ravenous afterward. Those I avoid, and I would count the gross carbs

Other artificial sweeteners are likewise YMMV. I've seen diabetics post that malitol makes them spike, but Splenda has no effect, so they would feel better eating something sweetened with Splenda. These would be deductible carbs for them.

The way the labeling law was written, pre-Atkins boom, anything that isn't fat or protein gets lumped in with the carbs. That's why dissecting a label can be tricky.

One firm opinion often expressed on these boards is that too heavy a reliance on "frankenfoods" will not get the results most people want.

But the occasional low carb ice cream bar was never a problem for me, and they are usually sweetened with Splenda, which most people don't report a problem over. I would go with the net carb, myself, unless you find yourself stalled and want to drop those temporarily to see if that is the cause of the problem.

My biggest guideline, now that I'm maintaining and experimenting, is how my body reacts to the new food. I've been indulging in occasional wraps that aren't Atkins, but they are stuffed full of high fat & protein fillings and I'm getting along okay. But I picked up some low carb bagels last week that made me feel like I was starving two hours after. For some reason these were messing with my blood sugar, and I have to stay away from them.