Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-03, 10:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 256/211/165
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Back to the gym again

I am soooo excited. I've been away from the gym since February 4th and have gotten my resolve back and am going on April 1st. I hope to be able to tone down the gym this time. I left in Feb. because the personal trainer I hired told me I was over training and putting myself in starvation mode and that was why I had not lost an ounce in over a year...that was crushing news. All the hard work (in the gym up to 4hrs five days a week) and the reason I was not losing was because of me...it hurt, but it was also hard for me to deal with less is more so I stopped going. In the time I've been away (without any exercise at all) I've dropped an entire size...so egg in my face, the trainer was right.

I've signed up to the gym and am giving myself an additional week to get myself mentally ready for it. I am hoping that I will not get back to my crazed levels of exercising and will take it easy (not as easy as it sounds) I just love the gym.

I will take my measurements on April 1st and post them here. My short term goal will be to have at least a 39" waist by the end of April (today it is 41") Want to get out of the 40's.

my gym experience always includes treadmill, stairmaster, elipical machine, weights and situps - oh yes my favorite (not) push ups...hopefully I can do these in moderation.

I'm soooo excited. Can't wait to get to the gym.

Gail
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-03, 10:48
Registered Member

BF:
Default Finally Got there

Well guys, I finally got to the gym today. At 9:40 am I went to the gym...I have to say I am somewhat dissapointed with the workout, but I promised myself I would only stay an hour and not over do it the first day back...I stuck to that plan.

Today Goal

My weight today is 213 165
Lower abdomen 41" 35"
Waist 40" 35"
Upper Abdomen 41" 35"
Hips 44" 38"
Right Arm 14.5" 12"
Left Arm 15" 12"
Right Thigh 27" 24"
Left Thigh 27" 24"
Breast 45" 38"

As you can see I have a long way to go. I wore a gym outfit today that made me look like a stuffed pig...looked great in my mirrors at home but boy those mirrors at the gym really tell the real story...lol. I will continue wearing it because it embarrases me enought to do something about it...

I did very little today, really it was a wake up call to my body that the gym is in effect again. Each day I will add more exercises and more time...(not to exceed two hours in the gym on at any one time) I don't know how realistic those measurement goals are (I've never really thought about how many inches...just what size (which is my 5's)

Today I did:

Treadmill:1 mile in 13 minutes, speed 4.5 (light jog) burned 160 calories.

Stairmaster for 12 minutes (all I could do) did 35 floors, 356 strokes and burned 124 calories (my goal is to be able to stay on the stairmaster for 30 minutes by the end of the week)

Leg press 90lbs 20 reps (inside) 20 resp (outside)
Pec Deck 40lbs 20 reps (once)
Pull Down 40lbs 20 reps (once)
Lat PullDown 40lbs 20 reps (once)

Floor:

Worked with the large ball (love this thing it hurts so much) 10 lifts with ball between my feet and 30 crunches with feet on ball.

That took me exactly 1 hour. My gym offers many aerobic classes I am looking at doing Jazzercise, Step and Pilates (I will slowly add these to my workout)

You will see that I work out with weights daily, but please note I do upper and lower body on opposite days (that way I actually feel like I am doing something at the gym, I hate going to the gym and ONLY doing cardio...)

Well that is day one.

Gail
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-03, 15:06
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%
Default Yea what's with those gym mirrors

Hi Gail

Don't ya hate those gym mirrors - they're as bad as fitting room mirrors It does the same for me as it does for you though = reminds me why I need to be doing it.

Looks like you had a pretty good workout. I did the same as you when I used to go the gym upper one day lower the next and cardio every day. So I would have 30min cardio and then do the weights. My son told me to do it the other way around but the weights tired me too much to do cardio after - maybe I'm weird.

The gym I went to is small - small town = small gym (better than none though) and they didn't have all the nice things that your's does. One thing I can say for sure Curves sure smell nicer than the Gym -
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-03, 17:07
Registered Member

BF:

Ok, I did not do well in the eating department and I'm sure I will hear about it.

Today I've consumed:

7 chicken wings (buffalo style)
8oz steak with 1 cup of mushrooms cooked in butter (yummmm)
2 cups of mock potato casserole

I drank 2 qts of water (so far it is only 6pm)
I took my vitamins
I did my exercise.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 09:06
Registered Member

BF:

4/6 two days back at the gym. I did not get to do any weight training yet today (the gym closes at 1pm so maybe I will be able to go back over) I went this morning at 9am, did one mile and then went to the Jazzercise class (it lasted exactly 1 hour) the instructor used every minute of that hour...it is the first class of any kind I've ever taken and it was wonderful. I will definately go back, my gym offers classes daily (different class every day) I am going to try and get as many of these classes into my schedule as possible. I will do Jazzercise Sunday, Tuesday and Friday and will do Step Monday and Thrusday, Saturday is Pilates. I will work in my treadmill/weights as I go along. My husband and daughter are out to breakfast, when they get back (if they get back in time) I will go back and do upper body, if not I have a couple of Gilad tapes that I can do here at home.

So far this morning I have done:

treadmill 1 mile, 12minutes 7seconds (almost took an entire minute off my mile from yesterday) speed, 6.1 - 6.2 burned 147 calories.

The Firm Used the step (double height) and did 30/10 - that is 30 long steps and 10 short, I will increase both numbers by ten daily for the entire month.

Jazzercise Instructed class lasted 1 hr at the gym. This was a very high intensity workout including weights and floor exercises, it was amazing...did not really break a good enough sweat, will do so next time because now I knw most of the moves.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 05:20
Registered Member

BF:

4/7 was up this morning at about 2am and thought, well let me jump on the scale I've been sooo good and have been to the gym twice this week already lets see what I weigh...220lbs!!!! I could not believe my eyes...I kept saying to myself it is impossible to gain 7lbs in one day...where did it come from? You are supposed to be at your lightest first thing in the morning...well two hours later I got on the scale again and I was 215...still up two lbs...nobody builds muscle that fast. I hate to say it but I'm going down that I hate Atkins diet road again. There must be a way to do this woe and still see the weight come OFF.

Well anyways, at 5 am I was in the gym. I did not eat anything before I went and only drank water and took my vitamins.

1st mile 11 1/2 minutes speed 6.1/3.7 150 calories burned
stairmaster 46 floors, 161 calories, distance was 462
2nd mile 15.57 minutes speed 3.5/3.7 106 calories burned
Full Upper Body Workout
Bench Press 20/10 x 1 20/15 x 1
Arm Curl 20/10 x 1 20/15 x 1
Shoulder Press 20/10 x 1 20/15 x 1
Pec Deck 30/15 x 1 30/20 x 1
Lat Pull-Down 40/30 x 2
Low Roll 40/15 x 1 40/20 x 1
Pull Down 40/20 x 1 40/25 x 1

my weights are light because I am just getting back into it. But they do reflect what I am capable of doing right now. I will increase the Lat Pull Down to 50lbs on Wednesday simply because 40 was way toooooo light. I spent 1 1/2 hrs. at the gym this morning. I hope to go back tonight for Step Aerobics and to get in another mile and do the cross trainer (which I did not do this morning). But I am trying to do this in moderation so I might be able to talk myself out of it...we will see.

Well I was sooo exhausted when I got home today (was at my daughters school all day with 5 year olds) that as soon as I sat down I fell asleep. Slept from about 4pm to 7pm. I feel alittle better now, but I can't wait to hit the sack again. I'm soooo tired. I WILL do my FIRM step tonight and will try to squeeze in some torso track. I will report back tomorrow morning if I've actually done it. If not I guess I can be happy with what I've done...KoKo told me today about muscle and water, I am going to start a vine about that so I can learn as much as possible. Maybe knowing this will help me lower my expectations and slow down alittle (I seriously doubt that). It is soooo good to be back at the gym. Missed Step tonight but will definately go to Jazzercise tomorrow night.

Last edited by gkeenan : Mon, Apr-07-03 at 19:26.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 19:27
Registered Member

BF:

Well I thought I had blown off the gym today because I did not get up at 5 am and drag my butt over there. Our gym is only open for a hour on tues/thurs mornings and I knew I would not be able to get in a good workout so I decided not to go. But vowed that I would go this evening. Well I went and had a great time. Got to my Jazzercise class 10 minutes late...why? Because I was on this computer and the time got away from me! But I went (this is my second time there) and I guess I did ok. I did not break a sweat though, I can feel it in my muscles but I'm not really sweating in that class...maybe it will get better when I actually learn the steps.

Jazzercise was 1 hour, consisted of cardio and weights. Then I went on to do one two miles and a total lower body workout with the machines.

1st mile 10.52 minutes speed 6.4/3.7 152 calories burned
stairmaster 46 floors, 161 calories, distance was 464
2nd mile 15.06 minutes speed 3.5/4.0 115 calories burned
Full Lower Body Workout
Back Extension 100/30 x 2
Leg Press (Sitting) 7/20 x 1 7/25 x 1
Outer thigh 7/20 x 1 7/30 x 1
Inner Thigh 7/20 x 1 7/30 x 1
Leg Curl 30/15 x 2

I lowered my time on the first and second mile. Will try to add a third mile or the cross trainer by the end of the week. The stairmaster was difficult tonight, I guess that is because of the lower body workout...but I managed to stay the course and did at least what I did last night. I will continue to try to up that number to 50 floors in 15 minutes.

I did not do very well in the food department today. Was just too busy and not hungry at all. I had 1 oz of almonds a small slice of a carbless (3gr per slice) meatloaf and a spinach/egg dish (I cooked it too long) If I were to give myself points for the day I'd have to say that I would give myself a 10 for the exercise and a -15 for the food. I am usually much better than this, life just seems to get in the way sometimes.

Spent 2 hrs. 20 minutes at the gym...
will do my torso track tonight (did 30 last night with one band off then my elbows started to hurt so I stopped, I can feel it in my upper abdomen, love that feeling)

Last edited by gkeenan : Tue, Apr-08-03 at 19:40.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 12:09
Registered Member

BF:

Was only at the gym 1 hr. this morning (I over slept) so I did not get in as much as normal. Not sure if I am going back tonight, I feel kind of weak and well, just yucky inside.

1st mile (wind sprints) 3.7/6.4 10.52 minutes, 155 calories burned
Full Upper Body Workout
Bench Press 20/15 x 1 20/20 x 1
Arm Curl 20/20 x 1 20/25 x 1
Shoulder Press 20/15 x 2
Pec Deck 30/30 x 2
Lat Pull-Down 50/30 x 2
Low Roll 40/20 x 1 40/30 x 1
Pull Down 30/30 x 1 30/40 x 1

I only had time for what is posted. I might go back tonight to get in my second mile and stairmaster, I am not sure it will depend on how I am feeling.

Breakfast 8oz Atkins Shake

Lunch VERY VERY VERY large salad (about 3 cups of lettuce) 2oz cheese and 8 oz roast beef with about 4 tablespoons of ranch dressing. I was feeling so weak I had to eat this much.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 05:13
Registered Member

BF:

Over slept again this morning, I guess I will have to start using an alarm clock. But I'm not upset at all about it. If my body wants sleep, sleep it will get.

Will go to the gym this evening. I am adding a diet pill today to this woe. Was up three lbs this morning. I need to see the scale (and tape measure which was no different) go the opposite direction.

It is now 8:40pm. I went to the gym and added my diet pill. I did a much lower paced workout this evening because I had no idea how this pill was going to effect my efforts.

Treadmill
1st mile 17.14 minutes speed 3.4 - 4.3 calories burned 102

Full Lower Body Workout
Back Extension 100/30 x 2
Leg Press (Sitting) 7/30 x 1 7/40 x 1
Outer thigh 7/30 x 1 7/40 x 1
Inner Thigh 7/30 x 1 7/40 x 1
Leg Curl 30/20 x 2

2nd & 3rd Mile 30.14 minutes speed 3.5 - 4.3 calories burned 214

I realize that physically I did more tonight, I did not do my starimaster because of the pill, did not want to over do it and drop dead...but I now know that I can push this further without any problems. I broke a sweat but was not out of breath once...don't think I like that...I know I've done work when the bottom row of teeth hurt (from running) Psychologically I do not feel this was a challenging workout, I need to run. Will do so in the morning.

Just for fun I did fitday to see how I actually did today...

Calories Eaten Today
source grams cals %total
Total: 1753
Fat: 103 929 54%
Sat: 43 386 23%
Poly: 13 121 7%
Mono: 31 277 16%
Carbs: 18 35 2%
Fiber: 9 0 0%
Protein: 187 747 44%
Alcohol: 0 0 0%

Not too bad and I actually got in more calories (which I guess I will need now that I am working out) I will reduce them after about a week or two if I don't see any loss.

Last edited by gkeenan : Thu, Apr-10-03 at 18:58.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 05:30
Registered Member

BF:

April 11th. I've been to the gym 7 out of the last 7 days! I'm very proud of that. Though this pattern is not unusual for me, it took some coaxing to get me going again. Happy to say I'm reved up and ready to go!

It is 7:23AM, I was at the gym this morning at 5AM, no food on my stomach. My workout consisted of 3 miles (one warm up mile, then two miles at once) and a full upper body workout.

1st mile (wind sprints) 3.7/6.4 11.24 minutes, 164 calories burned

Full Upper Body Workout
Bench Press 20/10 x 3
Arm Curl 20/10 x 3
Shoulder Press 20/10 x 3
Pec Deck 30/10 x 3
Lat Pull-Down 60/10 x 3
Low Roll 40/10 x 3
Pull Down 40/10 x 3

2nd & 3rd mile 25.47 minutes, 299 calories burned, speed 3.9/6.5 (these entire two miles were done in wind sprint fashion) up one minute down one minute up one minute down. My goal is to be up two minutes down one by the end of next week.

Breakfast 8oz Atkins Shake

Lunch 8 oz Atkins Shake

Tonight is Jazzercise, I hope to get in that last two miles so I have met my goal of 5 miles by the end of the week. Would also like to get the stairmaster back into my plan
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 06:25
Registered Member

BF:

Well, I've not been back to the gym since April 11th. Today is the 15th. I got on the scale that day and was at 220 and decided to throw in the towel. What is the sense if all I'm going to do is gain. I've gained 9lbs since I've come to this board. It seems everytime I add water/exercise I gain like no-ones business. I hate this diet.

Gail