Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-10, 09:24
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Berry Sauce

I've just started experimenting with crude corn bran and last night's cornbread came out tasting more like an almond cake than cornbread. It didn't taste BAD, just not much like cornbread! So I wrapped it up and set it on the counter. This morning, I got creative and salvaged that "cornbread" by turning it into a very tasty coffeecake!

http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2010/09/15/berry-sauce/

This sauce could be used on a variety of treats, like homemade vanilla ice cream, your favorite fruit compote recipe, cheesecake, or if thickened more, as the jam in the center of cookies. Heck, if thick enough, you could just use it as JAM on your morning MIM!

Last edited by Buttoni : Wed, Sep-15-10 at 10:55.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-10, 13:15
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

Here's the full recipe for the sauce and also the "failed cornbread" that turned into a great coffeecake!

I made a cornbread recipe that came out tasting more like almond cake than cornbread! So I decided to reincarnate it the next day as a coffeecake. I did this by making a tasty fruit topping to spoon over the top. It was DELISH! So don’t despair when a recipe comes out less than you expected. Get creative and morph it into something totally new!

INGREDIENTS:

1 ½ c. frozen mixed berries (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries)
½ c. water
24 drops liquid Splenda (or to taste, so add slowly and taste)
1 packet unflavored gelatin

DIRECTIONS:

Puree fruit in blender/processor with water until smooth. Pour into small saucepan and heat over med-high heat. When hot, add gelatin powder and stir to blend well. Add Splenda slowly until you reach your desired sweetness level. Continue heating until it begins to thicken. Chill in fridge or over bowl of ice until starts to get thick. Serve over ice cream, coffeecakes, or other fruit compotes.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes about five 1/3 cup servings, each contains:

25.2 calories
17 g fat
4.13 g carbs
1.6 g fiber
2.53 NET CARBS
2.4 g protein
6 mg sodium

For the cake/cornbread in the pic, I used the following recipe. BTW I order my crude corn bran from Honeyvillegrain.com. I just discovered this stuff and will be doing much experimenting with it in future! It only has 8 NC per 1/2 cup, as it’s almost pure fiber!! Unlike real cornmeal, which has 70 per 4 oz!!!! Here’s the recipe:

CAKE/CORNBREAD: 1 c. softened butter, 5 beaten eggs, 1 c. almond flour, 1/2 c. hazelnut flour, 1/2 c. corn bran, 1 tsp. baking powder, 1 tsp. butter extract, 4 drops liquid Splenda. Soften butter and slowly beat in the eggs. Add dry ingredients and beat well. Batter will be fairly thick. Pour into greased 9″ round pan and pop into preheated 350º oven for 35-40 minutes (check early as ovens vary). Makes 12 small servings, each has 231 calories, 23 fat, 6.9 carbs, 3.03 fiber, 3.87 net carbs, 4.86 protein, 61 mg sodium.