Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#286   ^
Old Sun, Sep-27-20, 07:21

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
I've not heard a peep in the US on vitamin D3........

JEY, Are you being sarcastic?
. Yes, That is roll eyes, or maybe SMH would have been better.
But the UK situation is even more dire than the US. Higher latitudes, populations of dark skinned ethnic minorities, who have suffered disproportionately from Covid symptoms and deaths. As this MP writes... supplementation is so cheap and they have a national health service To get it in the community quickly.
Sponsored Links
  #287   ^
Old Sun, Sep-27-20, 07:22

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
I've not heard a peep in the US on vitamin D3........

I just saw something yesterday about Dr. Fauci recommending vitamin D. Apparently he takes it himself.
  #288   ^
Old Sun, Sep-27-20, 07:24

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

I've seen stuff in recent months on Vit D - in fact just a few days ago I saw that Fauci was quoted as saying he recommends supplementing Vit D (And C). But that was apparently taken out of context:

Forget vitamins: Fauci says the 3 best things 'to keep your immune system working optimally' cost nothing

Quote:
Dr. Anthony Fauci is, at this point in the pandemic, getting used to having his words twisted around into things he never really said.

"Always, always it'll get taken out of context and misconstrued," the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases said during our recent lunchtime chat. "I've gotten used to living with that."

Recently, the issue came up when he told the actress Jennifer Garner that he takes two supplements: vitamin D and vitamin C.

"If people want to take a gram or so of vitamin C, that would be fine," he said at the time.

~snip~

But he was not mandating the practice for the general public, nor was he suggesting popping vitamins is a surefire way to avoid getting sick. Rather, he said, he was just answering a question.

"I had made it very clear when people asked about what vitamins I take, and I try to explain it," Fauci said.

If you ask him, Fauci will still say, without question, the best ways to control the pandemic are the measures he's been recommending endlessly for months: good hand hygiene, mask-wearing, and social distancing.

~snip~

"Sometimes people when they don't get out in the sun a lot, they're deficient in vitamin D — so my vitamin D level was generally low," Fauci said. "I started taking vitamin D supplements, and now my vitamin D level is normal."

We know from many scientific studies that being deficient in vitamin D can put you at greater risk of infection, and that finding has held true again during the coronavirus pandemic.

"There is good evidence that if you have a low vitamin D level, that you have more of a propensity to get infected when there are infections around," Fauci said. "Those data are pretty good data."

~snip~

"Try to avoid or alleviate severe stress, which we know can sometimes impact the immune system."

Some of the best (and simplest) homegrown ways to counter stress include getting regular exercise, meditating, practicing deep breathing, relaxing into a hot bath, receiving a massage, listening to music, spending time alone, and hanging out with your favorite person or pooch.

"That is much more healthy living than giving yourself supplements of anything," Fauci said of his three tips.

So according to Fauci, D (and C) can help give you more resistance to infection (of all kinds)- but are not some kind of sure-fire way to prevent becoming infected. In other words, keep washing your hands, wearing your mask, and keeping your distance, but if you're low on D because you don't get much sunlight, then supplementing D won't hurt, and could help improve your resistance.
  #289   ^
Old Sun, Sep-27-20, 09:23

Great explanation from the good doctor Fauci, but here's the problem with that approach in the US. Doctors do not regularly test for it and the test is expensive. ( Update, apparently Medicare is doing more tests on older and obese so the price is coming down, $50-$80 rather than the $250 charged by a hospital10 years ago)
The only reason I had it tested in 2006 was being treated for breast cancer, and at that time, there were studies suggesting a higher level (over 50, not the normal 30) was protective of a recurrence. So insurance paid for the long 4 year journey to try to raise ithe number higher, which never worked! until I started reading Mark Sisson, Eating Paleo, and eliminating all seed oils from my diet, plus extra OTC supplementation, not the useless prescription D2.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Sep-27-20 at 10:07.
  #290   ^
Old Sun, Sep-27-20, 14:24

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/09/26...deficiency.html

Quote:
All that said, the only way to truly know if you are vitamin D deficient is to get a blood test through your doctor, says Thomas.

Not all medical professionals, however, think routine testing for vitamin D is a good idea.

Vitamin D testing and supplements can be controversial

Routine testing for vitamin D can be controversial among medical professionals.

The National Endocrine Society (NES) and the Institute of Medicine (IOM), for example, recommend vitamin D testing be limited to specific patients (like those at risk for weakened bones or with certain chronic conditions). Rosen and Madan also say not everyone needs vitamin D supplements, only those who have a confirmed deficiency and experience symptoms, according to Madan.

So vitamin D testing is still not “mainstream”. And “mainstream” doctors who do recommend it generally recommend a small dose.

Personally I do take D3 gelcaps every day, 4000 IU, the caps contain oil which D3 needs to metabolize properly, since it’s fat soluable.

The article seems to stress the problems with getting doctors to order the test, or getting insurance to pay for it. However, if you live in the US, you can get the test done at a reasonable fee (unless you live in NJ, NY, RI, and maybe one other state I’m forgetting, where it’s illegal for people to take charge of their own health with tests of their choosing). I had mine tested just earlier this month via mymedlab.com and found my level was 47 which I’m pretty happy with.
  #291   ^
Old Sun, Sep-27-20, 17:41

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
I've seen stuff in recent months on Vit D - in fact just a few days ago I saw that Fauci was quoted as saying he recommends supplementing Vit D (And C). But that was apparently taken out of context:

Forget vitamins: Fauci says the 3 best things 'to keep your immune system working optimally' cost nothing

So according to Fauci, D (and C) can help give you more resistance to infection (of all kinds)- but are not some kind of sure-fire way to prevent becoming infected. In other words, keep washing your hands, wearing your mask, and keeping your distance, but if you're low on D because you don't get much sunlight, then supplementing D won't hurt, and could help improve your resistance.

Again not advocating nutritional health. Not saying get your D levels checked.

Im looking to maximize my immunity for when I do get it. Its not IF, its WHEN.

Everyone is beleiving the vaccine is a cureall. Vaccines dont work at 100%.
  #292   ^
Old Sun, Sep-27-20, 17:46

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Great explanation from the good doctor Fauci, but here's the problem with that approach in the US. Doctors do not regularly test for it and the test is expensive. ( Update, apparently Medicare is doing more tests on older and obese so the price is coming down, $50-$80 rather than the $250 charged by a hospital10 years ago)
The only reason I had it tested in 2006 was being treated for breast cancer, and at that time, there were studies suggesting a higher level (over 50, not the normal 30) was protective of a recurrence. So insurance paid for the long 4 year journey to try to raise ithe number higher, which never worked! until I started reading Mark Sisson, Eating Paleo, and eliminating all seed oils from my diet, plus extra OTC supplementation, not the useless prescription D2.

Otc supplement meaning Vit D3 ?

I dumped seed oils, too. Just had to wrap my head around the subject, then changed to pressed oils ie evoo, or butter and beef fat.

Again, seed oils are part of norm for SAD, but we know better.
  #293   ^
Old Mon, Sep-28-20, 00:54

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

"Useless prescription D2" is probably what we would get from the NHS, if they started dishing out vitamin D for free. I have been taking 4,000 IU D3, with K2, for years.
  #294   ^
Old Mon, Sep-28-20, 03:08

My gyno was prescribing 50,000 IU of D2, a supposed therapeutic level to correct D levels from the low 20s up to 50. Had to take the prescription D2 for some period of time and then retest. After a few years of trying many different routines, my lasting memory is telling the PA at an interim check that I "give up"..my level is low and nothing will increase it.

But after reading Good Calories, Bad Calories and The Primal Blueprint, I removed all seed oils from our diet and added safe sun exposure. Mark Sisson in 2010, about 4 posts in total on Vitamin D https://www.marksdailyapple.com/vit...tion-and-doses/. After about a year of no seed oils, 5-10,000 IU of Vitamin D3 in gel caps from Walmart, a little more sun without sunscreen, my VitD level is consistently 50-100 ng/dL, measured mid-winter. Per usual, did more than one thing
50+ is a Vit D level recommended for cancer survivors, over 30 is a good standard, though that long Vit D thread linked at post #284 has many more studies with other doctors concluding higher has benefits. I just read that Cleveland Clinic suggests 40-50 for bone health, so all over the place but my doctor is OK with anything in range 50-100 ng.

Add in that I have not been sick in the past ten years...no colds, no infections, maybe no Covid? This is certainly not a winter to reduce any supplements.

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Sep-28-20 at 04:54.
  #295   ^
Old Mon, Sep-28-20, 06:06
Registered Member

Plan: keto
Stats: 205/197/180 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress:

Im reading lots of good observations for vit D2. I'd still stick for organic D2 supplement though rather than taking it through sunlight.
  #296   ^
Old Thu, Oct-01-20, 04:29

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Studies Begin to Untangle Obesity’s Role in Covid-19

People with extra weight may struggle to mount a robust immune response to the coronavirus — and may respond poorly to a vaccine.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/29/...id-obesity.html
  #297   ^
Old Thu, Oct-01-20, 04:48

Another new summary of the latest studies from Science Magazine, quoting some of the same studies from UNC:

Why obesity worsens COVID-19

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/369/6509/1280

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Oct-01-20 at 06:10.
  #298   ^
Old Thu, Oct-01-20, 05:29

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I found this article interesting:

Quote:
Therefore, serum 25(OH)D levels between 100 and 150 nmol/L are ideal, levels below 50 nmol/L are associated with severe vitamin D deficiency...

Optimal Vitamin D Supplementation Levels for Cardiovascular Disease Protection
  #299   ^
Old Thu, Oct-01-20, 13:20

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
I found this article interesting:

Quote:
Therefore, serum 25(OH)D levels between 100 and 150 nmol/L are ideal, levels below 50 nmol/L are associated with severe vitamin D deficiency...

So many conflicting opinions about vitamin D - a couple charts here from a YouTube Video about vitamin D deficiency from Ivor Cummins, and a blog about vitamin D from Chris Kresser, both of whom I consider pretty reputable. Cummins says his own D is at 40 which he considers pretty optimal, and says 42 is actually the "sweet spot" and that once you pass 42 there are really very few additional benefits. Kresser says studies show actual possible harm once you start getting higher.

#300   ^
Old Thu, Oct-01-20, 16:55

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

There are at least two different units for measuring Vitamin D levels. The ones causing confusion seem to be nmol/L and ng/mL
50 ng/ml is equal to 125 nmol/L