Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#196   ^
Old Tue, Jun-16-20, 03:42

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy867
I think that health practitioners today do not even consider a deficit in nutrition as a potential diagnosis for any ailment because they assume people on the SAD are well nourished. But we know that is not true. So docs automatically reach for a pharmacological treatment for every diagnosis.

You are so right! Just because we might dodge an outright deficiency disease like scurvy or pellagra doesn't mean we are getting enough of certain nutrients.

This might even be the case for macro-nutrients, too. Are fat avoiders getting enough saturated fats? Are older people getting enough protein? And especially, are all those nutrients found in some foods really getting used by our body?
Sponsored Links
  #197   ^
Old Tue, Jun-16-20, 16:02

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
And especially, are all those nutrients found in some foods really getting used by our body?

This is the area that has been bothering me of late. First, is the food item well fortified naturally?, and second, can my body make use of it?

How to reach optimal levels of everything.......

ya, lots of noodling over this.

I suspect that mothers are not well nirished on the SAD, and that sets up newborns for less than ideal health and altered genes. I feel so misled by " doctors".
  #198   ^
Old Tue, Jun-16-20, 22:56

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
You are so right! Just because we might dodge an outright deficiency disease like scurvy or pellagra doesn't mean we are getting enough of certain nutrients.

This might even be the case for macro-nutrients, too. Are fat avoiders getting enough saturated fats? Are older people getting enough protein? And especially, are all those nutrients found in some foods really getting used by our body?

Wearbear, I remember the other day you mentioned stiffness in your hands. Then I came across this while reading about Niacin.
Quote:
If you have a history of gout, you should be careful with how much niacin you consume because it is also known to elevate serum uric acid concentration.

https://www.webmd.com/diet/niacin-d...nd-treatments#2

Do you think the Niacin has anything to do with it?
  #199   ^
Old Wed, Jun-17-20, 02:55

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Wearbear, I remember the other day you mentioned stiffness in your hands. Then I came across this while reading about Niacin.

Do you think the Niacin has anything to do with it?

No, this seems totally dependent on the foods I eat. I've had sensitive thumb joints (like my father) for years now, and the most dramatic improvements have been dropping gluten, then the other food categories like soy and fiber. I had a dramatic peak and rise with potatoes, for instance, which is nightshades territory.

However, I do have a family history where it appears. And, in women, it's more likely to appear in the upper extremities! So that's a good find.

This article on gout misdiagnosis doesn't ring any bells for me, for instance. But apparently that does happen.

https://creakyjoints.org/diagnosis/gout-misdiagnosis/
  #200   ^
Old Wed, Jun-24-20, 06:12

BF:

I think it was the tablets: my niacin rash/hives issue has vanished. I went back to six 500mg doses a day, in capsules, then crept up to seven, which seems okay.

Of course, living in a time of GLOBAL STRESS means all plans are tentative
  #201   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-21, 20:15

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 110/107/105 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 60%

Following this thread.
  #202   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-21, 04:42

BF:

Welcome! I'm still doing it, and in fact, got a dramatic illustration of how much I still need to.

A couple of weeks ago I missed my second dose -- I take 8 capsules of 500 mg a day, in two doses because I usually eat two meals. Sometimes, I eat only one big meal, and then sometimes forget the second dose (always with C & B complex.)

And usually that's okay too, but that day I started feeling anxious around bedtime. As this dread increased, I realized I was in the state I call "watermelon down an elevator shaft" in which I am making a dramatic descent into a really despairing mood.

Now, I'm trained: I'd missed my second dose! Took it (I have since learned I can take it on an empty stomach and I'm okay) and within FIVE minutes I was fine again.
  #203   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-21, 07:42
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I just finished a 2 month+ stint of doing niacin therapy. Why? I'm doing this again because I did it a few years ago between my baseline CAC score in 2017 and the Follow-up CAC that I had done in 2019. I actually dropped my CAC score from 347 down to 158 in the 28 months between those two scans. I'm planning another CAC follow-up this September and I'm trying to keep everything the same in hopes of continued progress with my CVD. I don't know if niacin had anything to do with my results, but I did do a "niacin cleanse" before the last follow-up, so I'm doing one again before this one.

I was doing that first niacin regimen for cholesterol reasons and to see if it would help clear the xanthalasma under my eyes that I had developed. I worked my way up to 2mg per day spread across 2 meals. I didn't care for the flush, so I stopped after I finished the rather large bottle that I had. The regimen that I just completed was much the same. The flush didn't bother me as much this time, so I'm considering getting another bottle.

My xanthalasma did eventually dissolve away. I don't know if the niacin helped with that either. It took nearly 2 years for the yellow spots under my eyes to completely clear up. I still have very high LDL-C (250 mg/dl) and my xanthalasma has not returned. It first appeared in 2015 - one year into my LCHF lifestyle change. I don't know exactly what caused it nor what cured it. But I am happy that it is gone. It was unsightly and very noticeable there for a while.
  #204   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-21, 02:47

BF:

I don't mind the flush, because it feels SO GOOD when it's done. I get a definite mind/body calming effect from it.
  #205   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-21, 08:31

BF:

So I recently invested in a group of new to me supplements. From WM . Niacin, B complex and biotin.

My poor skin was the driver. But the cross over to the discussions here is interesting.

My sleep is better. Though when breathing thru mouth increases, the connection to wheat flour is almost certain. Last two nights I've awoken with a leathery dry mouth necessitating a very small sip of whatever is handy. Each nite followed bread consumption.

Oddly my interest in food is almost nil. Is it the niacin ? IDK for sure yet as the March weather has been dry and unseasonally warm , drawing outdoor s and forgetting about food.

Will continue supplements and monitor how life flows.
  #206   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-21, 03:30

BF:

Niacin definitely helped me stabilize appetite and cravings.
  #207   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-21, 08:24

BF:

Wow . That's crazy. I wonder if Dr Atkins was aware of the effect.

Sure is a boon to have help controling food intake.
  #208   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-21, 13:01

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Wow . That's crazy. I wonder if Dr Atkins was aware of the effect.

Sure is a boon to have help controling food intake.

Since Dr. Atkins was a cardiologist, not a psychiatrist, I don't think niacin came up. But it's not a vitamin: it's an amino acid. And it seems vital to how the brain handles stress.

There's a ton of papers on it: anti-inflammatory, boosting cognitive function, slowing the aging process, modulation of toxins and trauma...
  #209   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-21, 17:52

BF:

Like many vitamins, another misnamed one. Like vit D, which is a hormone.

Have you read Dr Atkins books??? He was big into neutracuticals. He wrote a whole chapter o n supplements that affected the weight loss journey , from many angles.

Dr Amen doesn't mention niacin...but now I need to double check one of his books.
  #210   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-21, 05:13

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Have you read Dr Atkins books??? He was big into neutracuticals. He wrote a whole chapter o n supplements that affected the weight loss journey , from many angles.

Yes, and I think that encouraged me to explore.

It's crucial that I take straight niacin in capsules. This would have been much more daunting without Dr. Hoffer's book, since no-flush and tablets have liver stress and skin rashes... and in studies, any and all of it tends to just be called NIACIN.

Thanks a bunch, bad scientists.