Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-21, 06:13

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%
Default blood sugar dips and hunger

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releas...0412114802.htm\

Quote:
New research shows that people who experience big dips in blood sugar levels, several hours after eating, end up feeling hungrier and consuming hundreds more calories during the day than others.

A study published today in Nature Metabolism, from PREDICT, the largest ongoing nutritional research program in the world that looks at responses to food in real life settings, the research team from King's College London and health science company ZOE (including scientists from Harvard Medical School, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, Massachusetts General Hospital, the University of Nottingham, Leeds University, and Lund University in Sweden) found why some people struggle to lose weight, even on calorie-controlled diets, and highlight the importance of understanding personal metabolism when it comes to diet and health.

The research team collected detailed data about blood sugar responses and other markers of health from 1,070 people after eating standardized breakfasts and freely chosen meals over a two-week period, adding up to more than 8,000 breakfasts and 70,000 meals in total. The standard breakfasts were based on muffins containing the same amount of calories but varying in composition in terms of carbohydrates, protein, fat and fibre. Participants also carried out a fasting blood sugar response test (oral glucose tolerance test), to measure how well their body processes sugar.

Participants wore stick-on continuous glucose monitors (CGMs) to measure their blood sugar levels over the entire duration of the study, as well as a wearable device to monitor activity and sleep. They also recorded levels of hunger and alertness using a phone app, along with exactly when and what they ate over the day.

Previous studies looking at blood sugar after eating have focused on the way that levels rise and fall in the first two hours after a meal, known as a blood sugar peak. However, after analyzing the data, the PREDICT team noticed that some people experienced significant 'sugar dips' 2-4 hours after this initial peak, where their blood sugar levels fell rapidly below baseline before coming back up.

Big dippers had a 9% increase in hunger, and waited around half an hour less, on average, before their next meal than little dippers, even though they ate exactly the same meals.

Big dippers also ate 75 more calories in the 3-4 hours after breakfast and around 312 calories more over the whole day than little dippers. This kind of pattern could potentially turn into 20 pounds of weight gain over a year.

Dr Sarah Berry from King's College London said, "It has long been suspected that blood sugar levels play an important role in controlling hunger, but the results from previous studies have been inconclusive. We've now shown that sugar dips are a better predictor of hunger and subsequent calorie intake than the initial blood sugar peak response after eating, changing how we think about the relationship between blood sugar levels and the food we eat."

Professor Ana Valdes from the School of Medicine at the University of Nottingham, who led the study team, said: "Many people struggle to lose weight and keep it off, and just a few hundred extra calories every day can add up to several pounds of weight gain over a year. Our discovery that the size of sugar dips after eating has such a big impact on hunger and appetite has great potential for helping people understand and control their weight and long-term health."

Comparing what happens when participants eat the same test meals revealed large variations in blood sugar responses between people. The researchers also found no correlation between age, bodyweight or BMI and being a big or little dipper, although males had slightly larger dips than females on average.

There was also some variability in the size of the dips experienced by each person in response to eating the same meals on different days, suggesting that whether you're a dipper or not depends on individual differences in metabolism, as well as the day-to-day effects of meal choices and activity levels.

Choosing foods that work together with your unique biology could help people feel fuller for longer and eat less overall.

Lead author on the study, Patrick Wyatt from ZOE, notes, "This study shows how wearable technology can provide valuable insights to help people understand their unique biology and take control of their nutrition and health. By demonstrating the importance of sugar dips, our study paves the way for data-driven, personalized guidance for those seeking to manage their hunger and calorie intake in a way that works with rather than against their body."

Tim Spector, Professor of Genetic Epidemiology at King's College London and scientific co-founder of ZOE, concludes, "Food is complex and humans are complicated, but our research is finally starting to open up the black box between diet and health. We're excited to have been able to turn this cutting-edge science into an at-home nutrition and microbiome test so that everyone has the opportunity to discover their unique responses to food to best support their metabolism and gut health."
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-21, 09:12

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Tried to read the full study, but the link is not working for me.

Quote:
"Dr Sarah Berry from King's College London said, "It has long been suspected that blood sugar levels play an important role in controlling hunger, but the results from previous studies have been inconclusive. We've now shown that sugar dips are a better predictor of hunger and subsequent calorie intake than the initial blood sugar peak response after eating, changing how we think about the relationship between blood sugar levels and the food we eat.""

The observations that people react differently is important and here's hoping the message gets shared widely. Many are confused when the latest diet that worked for others doesn't work at all. Sugar dips are a fact of life, and what one eats has everything to do with controlling those dips. I'm a prime example of one who was once eating 3 meals a day of what I thought was healthy food and started experiencing huge dips by 11am where the only answer was to get more carbs in me to correct low BG.

While this study is a good first step, people need to understand that the dips can be corrected; yet, one needs to understand exactly why they're experiencing this and how to resolve it. The next stage of this study would be to prescribe dietary corrections and to learn by data from the CGMs how people are reacting to the diets. This stage would be very expensive for accurate controls, so the other alternative is to use this study to educate people enough to change their personal eating lifestyle to something they can track and adjust, an educated N=1. Where would they start? Westman, Naiman, Kendall, Unwin, Gerber, Hallberg, and others would be my recommendation of those with approaches having a history of success with many people.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-21, 09:50

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

One think I like here is the continual glucose monitoring, that's relatively new, so a bit different from previous studies looking at appetite versus glucose at particular discrete moments in time. This study does make sense to my personal experience, although I don't have that glucose monitoring--it just makes sense with how I experience appetite when eating different ways. I'm much leaner eating to a more ketogenic ratio.

What dieting lacks is feedback. Day to day, the scale tells nothing about energy balance. If there was something that could tell you that, with certainty, throughout the day, I think that would make all the difference in the world. Maybe what's needed is a subtle energy deficit, to be sustainable--but we're not even sure we're in a deficit, until we're far beyond subtle.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-21, 21:57

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Agreed. CGMs are an important tool to enable the tracking of energy fluctuations matched with how people are feeling. If you could match the results to specific foods consumed, you could start to map food types to individual metabolic responses. Very informative as to developing the correct diet. Close to some of the things that Kendall is doing today, but with different controls.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-21, 05:30

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Freedom from the screaming hunger of blood sugar things was the first, and still one of the best, rewards of sticking with low carb.

What still astonishes me is how certain other foods have the same effect. I think that's the biggest hurdle for people: recognizing the very foods they crave are the foods which cause cravings!

But then, we've been taught our whole lives that BREAD is the staff of life, sooooo good for you, etc. Once we get that through our heads, other considerations can be made.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-21, 07:10

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Yes, I baked to feed that cravings monster. Bake a cake, sat a slice. Come back for more. Same with cookies. Just couldn't stop until cookie jar was empty.

After reading DANDR, I stopped baking. For nearly 20 years. Now baking sweets is low carb. Avoids, usually, the need for more. Allows enjoyment if the food, not the drive to consume .

Hoping glucose meter will ferret out the few problem foods. And confirm safe amounts.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-21, 11:25

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
New research shows that people who experience big dips in blood sugar levels, several hours after eating, end up feeling hungrier and consuming hundreds more calories during the day than others.

I wish they would do a study about people like me (maybe they have?) - I don't have bg dips, but my bg goes down very, very slowly. Most days I get really hungry just 2-3 hours after eating a good low-carb meal. My bg at that time runs around 130. I have to really work at not eating until after at least 4 hours - not a fun way to live.

My doc increased my metformin a few months back but it hasn't done much good. I'm wondering if I'm going to need it increased again.