Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-02, 18:12
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198/188.6/150
BF:41
Progress: 20%
Default induction, 2 weeks or 4 weeks?

I am only on Day 5, but am wondering how effective induction phase will be after week 2?
I would love to lose 15 lbs by the end of Sept. and stay in induction for the month, but I wonder if my body will get adjusted to this and therefore have a tougher time adjusting to the second phase of Atkins.
I have considered doing 2 weeks of induction, Phase II for a week or two and then going back to Induction for another 2 weeks.
Although maybe its better to just be on induction for the entire month? It just seems like everyone loses the most weight during the 1st 2 weeks.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-02, 19:08

Stats: 203/138/130 Female 5'4 1/2
BF:
Progress: 89%

Hi Lhelmick, i stayed on the atkins intro for 3 weeks and It was fine I lost 14 lbs in that time and with the 2weeks of the intro I have lost 6 lbs. You really just have to watch the carb intake I have noticed I can not go over 15 carbs I will start to gain weight I am hoping I can on day go over that range.

good luck
Vivian
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-02, 19:09

BF:

Hi Lhelmick, i stayed on the atkins intro for 3 weeks and It was fine I lost 14 lbs in that time and with the 2weeks off the intro I have lost 6 lbs. You really just have to watch the carb intake I have noticed I can not go over 15 carbs I will start to gain weight I am hoping I can one day go over that range.

good luck
Vivian
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-02, 21:04
Registered Member

Stats: 198/188.6/150
BF:41
Progress: 20%
Default good info

Thanks Vivi
It sounds like you have had great success. I have to ask, when and how did you decide to do induction for 3 weeks?
You keep carbs at 15? How do you do that in the second phase?
Is it a matter of having more food options, not necessarily having 25-30 grams/day.

I guess this scares me that when small increases in carbs are made that I might gain??

Although it sounds like you have been losing well after getting out of induction.

congrats on all the loss!! You must be a believer...
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 10:03

Stats: 315/283/170 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Lhelmick,

With the exception of adding a couple of things (tomatoes, nuts), I have stayed on Induction for almost 9 months. I keep my carbs at around 20-25 and I have had no problems at all. I use fitday.com to track all of my carb intake and it has never been easier!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 14:32

BF:

L- I was afraid to stay on the intro, cuase of all the problems i was told I would have go wrong with me.. And now I do not listen to anyone, the heck with people whom do not know Jack should learn to keep there mouth shut.. I have had great success, You need to want this and to tell you the truth if you follow the diet even if you don't want to the diet dose it for you. I am not saying it isn't tough sometimes it is.. but this is the easiest diet I have ever been on.. And I have been on lots, I have lost thousands of pound..

but........... I truly believe that I will LIVE this way for the rest of my life....

I too use fit day and you can look at my journal if you like. You may want to start journaling your self and see how you are doing..

regards and happy losing

vivian
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Sep-07-02, 17:37

Stats: 278/258/160
BF:
Progress: 17%

upncomer-

So glad to hear you've been on induction that long. I'm only going into my second week, but I have a good amount (100lbs) of weight to lose. I read that if you have farther to go you may stay on induction longer. (the artical said 6mos) A couple people told me it wasn't safe at all to do.

Have you had any problems at all staying on it that long?
heath wise or boredom?

:)
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-08-02, 05:38

BF:

Kelly I am fine and there are not problems, just keep your dieting to yourself, everyone is a doctor you know, you need to do whats best for you, you will know when your body is ready for a change, if you are comofortable with it then you go ahead with it.
Ihope you are taking your vitamins they are important to you, I have a lot of weight to lose myself .... I am staying right now around 179 and 183 I keep flux'ing up and down. but that is okay we all have a stall now and then, I am in full ketosis so I am waiting for the scale to move..

You know we did not gain this weight over night and it will come off if we continue to stay on the diet and make our bodies heathier..

Good luck
vivian
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 09:09
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

You're right Vivian.....keep your diet to yourself! People want to always remind you what the American Heart people said, or what the pyramid said, etc. They believe all the so-called experts and organizations - the same ones that have worked so hard over the years only to have Americans at their most obese ever - a 50% rise in obesity since they started telling us to watch our fat!

I keep myself focused by keeping it private most of the time...it will be your weight loss, your attitude, your energy, your skin will clear up, your hair will get healthier, you'll be more energized... heck, you might even lose a few wrinkles (if you have any )

THEN they'll want to know what you're doing - and you can give it to them with both barrels!!

Just a happy little thought this morning

#10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 09:22

Stats: 197/195/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Hi!

Vivi does have a point on the vitamin supplements. The induction phase is very restrictive in what you can eat and it is hard to get all the nutrients that your body needs to function from just the food alone. Dr. A is very clear that additional supplements should be taken at this time.

Many people move on to the next phase simply for some additional variety in their daily diet. Unless you are the type of person that likes to experiment with different foods and try many of the different allowable foods, you may find yourself getting bored.

Two weeks is simply a guideline. You wouldn't want to go less than 2 weeks because some people experience the "withdrawal" symptoms during these 2 weeks. The OWL stage is more of an experimental stage to see how many more good carbs to your diet and still lose. You will eventually be finding your carb limit here.

Be sure to drink lots of water too. The induction phase acts as a diuretic and it is essential to replace the fluids. It does wonders for how fast the weight comes off too. If your body thinks that there is a shortage of something it will do all it can to hang on to what it has left (this is why fat isn't bad, and drinking water helps with bloating).

Take care and all the best to you,

KC