Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 17:56

Plan: Intermittent Fasting, LC
Stats: 242/215/130 Female 5'7.5"
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 24%
Unhappy Sigh, H said I should read this...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...ofindwhyussofat

You know. If I ate fries and subs all the time, I could see it. I really could. But, it's like he doesn't even hear what I'm saying. All he sees is what I eat at night. I guess he multiplies that by three.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 18:03
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

Quote:
The women surveyed preferred snack foods because they didn't require much work, whereas they associated meals with cooking and cleaning up, Wansink said. The men surveyed favored meals because they conjured up the image of someone preparing the food for them, he said.

I found the above new and interesting....not very surprising though. It certainly applies to me.

Kay
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 21:14
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

I don't know about you personally, but I think for the majority of people who were ever signifigantly overweight (50 pounds or more) this is true. I know it is true in my case.

I do rely on visual cues and other things which are totally unrelated to true hunger to start (or stop) eating. If I'm walking by the kitchen, I'll think about food and suddenly I find myself snacking on a pork rind or two. Or, if I'm watching emril fry up something yummy with garlic and essence I'll become hungry.

Sometimes when I am feeling intense emotions (anger, sadness whatever) and eating at the same time, I will eat much quicker and more irresponsibly than I should. Sometimes the emotions themselves trigger hunger.

I am a strong believer in the link between things non-related to real hunger like advertising and other visual cues as well as emotions and over eatting.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 21:21
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

More than anything, what this study proves is what most of us already know - to maintain a healthy weight you must develop healthy eating habits, because poor lifestyle choices and behavior are what caused the obesity in the first place.

Low carb helps us lose weight because it gives us some control on hunger (and therefore behavior through extension), plus it may provide increased thermogenic benefits from extra fat consumption, but it won't help us from abusing prepared and packaged LC treat foods (which is why so many people "stall" when they include them in their diets). Nor can the physiological benefits alone help us maintain weight when our options to mindlessly munch are expanded.

As far as I'm concerned, you can't get around the behavioral/emotional aspects of weight loss... if you try to avoid them or fail to admit your problems, I don't think you will be successful at maintaining.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-04, 07:08

Plan: adkins
Stats: 160/148.5/130 Female 5 4
BF:
Progress: 38%

I am definitely guilty of eating past fullness. I "think" it could have something to do with the fact, I was raised to finish whatever was on my plate. Most of us can relate to that. Was I understanding the chip theory? He was saying if every 7 or 14th chip were colored if my spark our attention to how many did I eat? This is interesting and wonder if it would really work. I know when I eat chips Im thinking these are so good, ya know. Im not even thinking do I need to stop. Very Interesting article.
Renee
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-04, 19:43
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I know when I was on BFL and I measured 3/4 cup of pasta (or whatever a serving size is) and I would look at it and think its so little, but after I finished it I realized I wasnt really hungry, though on my own I would have put myself twice that and eaten it all.

Measuring and weighing my food now with fitday really helps me learn control and moderation.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 01:50

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 245/240/190 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 9%

Your hubby should be proud of you not putting you down. I bet he is as guilty of unconscious eating as the rest of us. You have gotten rid of 21% of your extra weight! IF he really wants to pick on you, pack him up what you have for breakfast and lunch and have him eat the same as you all day long. Either that or do it on a weekend. Or tell him you are working on it and drop it. But know that you are accomplishing your goals!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 03:19
"Princess" of Norway

Plan: Atkins / Lindberg
Stats: 187/169/143 Female 162 cm
BF:Yes
Progress: 41%
Default Thanks ...

...for posting that link. Interesting reading. It confirms what I've always thought, - it's NOT easy to know how much you're eating without weighing it !
Some people claims they know how many carbs/cals etc they're eating just by looking at the food. Oooook, I can do that to, - if I had the same food every day all the time. But in this WOE, where carbs are so important to count, - I could never manage without a small weight and Fitday !! Especially in OWL, where one add 5 carbs evrery week according to the ladder....... If you try filling in www.fitday.com for a while (it's a struggle in the beginning, but it's free and a great help !) then you could show your DH that you DO have control !

I don't know how your relationship works, but it doesen't necessarily mean your DH want to put you down by showing it to you. Maybe he wanted to help ? What it said in the article is the simple truth, - starting Fitday opened my eyes WIDE !!!

Good luck to you !!!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 08:29

Plan: Intermittent Fasting, LC
Stats: 242/215/130 Female 5'7.5"
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 24%

Thanks mommatbird. I don't think he "means" it as a put down, but that's how it feels. He has a very physical job, but, in recent years he's slowed down some. And he's not really happy with his weight either. Maybe I'm getting a little overflow? I think it's coming up now because I wasn't losing on Atkins. I lost a little on induction, but as soon as I go off induction, I quit losing. CAD works a little better for me on a few levels. I prefer a regular dinner where I don't have to make sure it's within carb limits. Or have to make my chicken separate, without the gravy.. I mean, by dinner time, I just don't want to think about it. And I work at home, so having some chicken and a salad for brunch isn't a problem.

Nille. I don't think he meant it as a put down, but it shows me he's NOT listening to what I'm telling him. He will eat McDonald's breakfast, Checker's lunch, then we'll eat out or I'll make dinner. He'll tell me I need to "eat less, move more". He isn't home to see what I eat. He only sees the evening "Reward Meal". And I think he, perhaps subconciously, percieves me to eat like he does. He thinks I should eat Raisin Bran for breakfast. (Tried it, didn't work). I have coffee for breakfast. I've never been one to eat early in the morning. I feel better if I don't.

I agree, that several years ago, I would have been just as guilty of eating the whole bag of potato chips. No prob. However, in recent years, when I do eat potato chips; I get a handful and put them on a paper towel. I don't eat out of the bag anymore. And I use FitDay, even though CAD doesn't have you count your calories.

I am losing slowly now though, so perhaps if I can act like a duck and let it roll off, I'll accomplish my goal and he'll quit. Or listen. His brother is diabetic, so he may actually need this diet more than I do, healthwise. He has quite a sweet tooth too. There's times that, after dinner, he'll take off and get a Wendy's Frosty or Checker Shake. Or Dairy Queen hot fudge sundae. (I think I see why I'm annoyed and frustrated!) It's looking like "Do as I say, not as I do"..