Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, May-10-19, 10:06

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Yeah, on the rare occasion that I have something that's not consistent with keto eating, I call it going "off the grid." For the first couple years, I didn't go off the grid at all, and it was beneficial. I stayed at very low carb at what was considered Atkins Induction for that period of time. Now because I'm fat adapted, if I go off the grid and only do it at one meal, I get back into ketosis very quickly. My body has responded to its primary fuel being fat and I get back into fat burning quickly, and that's the key. I don't do this for more than one meal, as I wouldn't like the results. I absolutely don't consider this "cheating."

So, continuing Thud's theme, going off the grid could be one of the following: Fried Clams and/or Fried Scallops (a common coastal New England favorite), brick oven pizza, Dim Sum (I favor duck and bok choy, but there are carbs in the other stuff on the carts that I'll choose), and Sushi are the things I'll allow for one meal. Never any dessert and never anything sweet, as Jean says, to me it's poison.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, May-11-19, 09:09

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

One high carb meal would kick me out of the groove I like to be in. And, as others have posted, it can take days, or weeks, to get back to the Low Carb Norm of feeling good, losing weight, or keeping on plan.

The times I've let the carbs creep up, my weight creeped up, and my health creeped worse and worse.

There are so many Low Carb indulgence foods now.

I vote for staying on plan and feeling good.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, May-12-19, 08:12

Plan: Atkins - New Diet Rev
Stats: 189/181.6/160 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Thank you so much everyone for such wonderful ideas! I did not cheat. Just had an ounce of cheese or some shrimp!

This week I felt I did pretty well and I lost "only" 0.2 lbs even though I did follow all the Induction rules!

I do feel as if I should add a fiber supplement though and that could help.

I'm disappointed, but isn't this normal?
  #19   ^
Old Sun, May-12-19, 08:15

Plan: Atkins - New Diet Rev
Stats: 189/181.6/160 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 26%

It has been a month and I've lost 4.6 lbs. I feel like I've been following all the rules! The past few weeks were better. Not this week, although I did lose that 0.2 lbs.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, May-12-19, 09:18

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Patrick, stay the course. As you likely know or have been told, weight loss is hardly linear. Many have used the approach to ignore the scale and rarely use it for this reason. They find their clothes are getting bigger while they're getting smaller in places that don't always show up on a scale. If you're eating healthy and exercising, fat loss is often balanced by muscle and lean mass gain. You are certainly moving in the right direction, and by experimenting with no carb fiber, you are starting your own N=1, where you are the one subject of your personal nutrition experiment. That's how many of us were able to make adjustments to our way of eating to achieve better health, and since it's so individualized, it's a great idea to learn, apply small course corrections to your food consumption, and then determine whether it's a permanent addition or something to move on from based on the results you experience. While many are inspired to start this journey from hearing fantastic stories of dramatic and fast weight loss, the practicality sets in once you understand how you respond. It's a process, and if you stay consistent, you will get results. Enjoy the journey!
  #21   ^
Old Mon, May-13-19, 14:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/128/130 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 105%

Stick with it and the scales will catch up most likely in a whoosh of weight loss I never lost in a regular way as long as I was eating enough fat I would show results on the measuring tape and eventually on the scale we used to have a really good thread here that was on why scales lie
  #22   ^
Old Mon, May-13-19, 14:23

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 215/197.2/195 Male 73.5
BF:
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick27
It has been a month and I've lost 4.6 lbs. I feel like I've been following all the rules! The past few weeks were better. Not this week, although I did lose that 0.2 lbs.

Patrick, look through the daily weigh in.....it seems as if May is giving up pounds grudgingly across the board.....no one including myself seems to be making quick progress down.

Sometimes the pants will be more telling then the scale....for me when I drop below 205 36 waist pants fit great...which happened this time with less than a 4 lb drop.

Add some good exercise into your program, and that might help get things moving.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, May-14-19, 16:30

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I lost 50 pounds total, and it wasn't linear at all. There were a few momentary gains, some stalls, and sometimes a pound or more in a day. It took my body a while to figure this out.

I've been maintaining about 185 for a long time. I've gone down to 182 and up to 188, and that's without changing diet or exercise regimen very much. I don't much worry about it, I feel better with the 50 pounds gone and I know I'm healthier for it.

Everybody's results are different because we are all different. You won't know if this works for you if you don't give it a very good chance.

Bob