Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-09, 17:20

Plan: food combining
Stats: 150/137.4/125 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Carb meals?

Hi I am new at this and I have no problems making meals with proteins, but I seem to be having some problems with meals just with veggies and carbs only.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-09, 17:52

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 288/224.8/180 Female 66 in
BF:
Progress: 59%

Can I ask why you would want carb only meals?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-09, 18:14

BF:

If I got the Food Combinding correctly. You cannot mix your proteins and your carbs together. So in that case I have no problems with the protein meals, I only have problems with Carb meals.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-09, 18:26

BF:

I apologize, I'm only familiar with the low carb plans, and have no experience with food combining. As a diabetic, that would not be an option for me.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-09, 18:58

BF:

Well thank you for wanting to help me out
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-09, 19:20

Plan: Grain-free Paleo/lowfiber
Stats: 110/155/170 Male 5.8''
BF:Not a concern
Progress: 75%

I'm not familiar with that plan either, but I have heard of not combining protein with carbs to avoid stomach stress.

If anything, I'd say try carby snacks, trying to keep the carb intake relatively low for one sitting. If you eat too much carbs at once with no backup (fat, protein) you'll set yourself up for an aesthetic crash.

Maybe I'll look into food combining later, but it doesn't sound like a plan up my alley, particularly because I'm not very sensitive like that, I guess.

Last edited by VersatileD : Wed, Aug-19-09 at 20:42.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-09, 19:28

BF:

Don't worry, someone will be around to help you get started. It just might take a little while.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-09, 19:29

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VersatileD
I'm not familiar with that plan either, but I have heard of not combining protein with carbs to avoid stomach stress.

If anything, I'd say try carby snacks, trying to keep the carb intake relatively low for one sitting. If you eat too much carbs at once with no backup (fat, protein) you'll set yourself up for an aesthetic crash.

And lee just doesn't happen to know everything, so you shouldn't get mad at her for that. >.>
Maybe I'll look into food combining later, but it doesn't sound like a plan up my alley, particularly because I'm not very sensitive like that, I guess.

I didn't mean for it to come out that way if it did I am sorry

I was checking out the great taste no pain site and Dr Hay's plan.

To be honest I wanted to find any receipes that sounded good for carbs, but I don't think there is any.

For the past month I was working on Atkin's (to a point) no loss there, then went to a slow carb plan 4 lbs loss. I just can't all proteins, with carbs coming from veggies. I need the fruits, and some rice, pasta, potatoes.

So this is where I am coming from the Food combining and it is also suppose to help the stomach distress.

This just all gets confusing with all of the diets out there.

Last edited by Twins0516 : Wed, Aug-19-09 at 19:30. Reason: .
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-09, 20:41

Oh, sorry, I misinterpreted on my end. My fault. ^^; The internet is tricky when it comes to sarcasm. =P

If you really miss potatoes, rice, and such, then I suggest you do what I do: miss in only a small portion into your meal to give you that "carby taste" but not enough to really blow away your LC plans. Like slipping potato bits into something like soup or eggs. Whatever your mind finds fun. I especially love sticking some cashews into things I really hate eating, like walnuts. This makes it feel like an easier process.

I don't know how strict you are with the carbs though. Some people handle well with an upper intake of carbs, others just feel horrendous and don't get anywhere.

Try upping your carbs to see if that makes a difference. And diets are more like clothes: you need to find the one that fits you (with experimenting, of course)

You have stomach distress, though?
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-09, 20:52

BF:

Wanna hear something funny. I have never had issues with my stomach until last week. I just don't think my stomach likes my eating habits So that is another reason why I was searching for something else that may work.

I was just checking out the Susan Summers Somersize diet, it is similar to the food combining diet that I was talking about.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Aug-20-09, 07:07

Well, anything food combining probably should also tell you not to eat fruits and heavy foods at one sitting. That's a recipe for some stomach pain/indigestion.

So yeah, do what works for you, but try and keep some aspects that makes sense. You don't have to strictly, strictly follow a plan. =]
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-21-09, 14:52

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

To all the non food combiners out there, we eat carbohydrate based meals - not a little carbs - lots of it! Jacket potatoes, pasta the works. We don't ever mix carbs with proteins. A protein based meal is therefore more or less carb free ans visa versa. Carbs and proteins are digested differently in the stomach and it is mixing them which causes a lot of problems such as acid refux.

Twins 0516, try any good vegetarian cook book. Think of it as avoiding protein more than eating carbs. I make spaghetti bolognase and chili sin carne both using vegetarian fake mince Baked potatoes can be topped with baked beans and a litel cheese. Risottos and other rice dishes. There is a lot you can do. On the plan I follow you do either a red day (protein) or a green one (carbs). It make sit much easier to stick to.

The Somersize diet is food combining. It is a sort of American adaption of the Montiac diet...and it all started with Hay's diet in the 1920's!

Good luck
Good luck.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Aug-22-09, 16:24

Plan: Somersizing
Stats: 160/151/135 Female 67
BF:
Progress:

Actually, protein with carbohydrates is ok, according to Somersizing. I think people keep getting confused because a lot of times a carbohydrate contains protein, but no fat. Such as beans and legumes. You can have no fat/vegit whole or refried black beans (easy to find in grocery stores), and combine it with a whole wheat tortilla with no extra fat, some veggies and some low or non fat (no added sugar as well) taco sauce or salsa. That is what I had for lunch today.

So to the person who asked, "why would you want to have a carbo only meal" that is my answer. Sometimes I crave it, especially if I had eggs for breakfast, I'll want to switch to no fat for lunch.

Last night I had a perfect pro/fat meal for dinner...baked some fennel with cream and cheese along with some fish and broccoli - yum. So for lunch I switched it up.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Aug-22-09, 16:28

Plan: Somersizing
Stats: 160/151/135 Female 67
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twins0516
If I got the Food Combinding correctly. You cannot mix your proteins and your carbs together. So in that case I have no problems with the protein meals, I only have problems with Carb meals.

Hi, in Somersizing, you can eat carbohydrates that do contain protein - it's a little hard to avoid - just make sure the carb you eat doesn't have extra added fat. Some carbs have fat naturally, and according to the food combining rules of Somersizing, that is acceptable. One example of this would be no fat/vegetarian pinto or black refried beans.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Aug-23-09, 08:58

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Surely carbohydrates that do contain protein is different to protein AND carbohydrates? For example, I know pulses contain protein but I would class these as a carbohydrate food. What you can't do is chicken with potatoes for example?