Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Mar-31-20, 11:31

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

So far, my Trader Joe's and Costco are both doing a good job with the "senior hours" and cleanliness. Fresh Market...no real control at all....except aT the meat line! a grid on the floor with measured six foot spacing. If you are 60 and don’t know about what six feet is...you shouldn’t be out in public anyway. TJ had only 40 carts For the store, each is being wiped down after use, seniors get in preferred but not exclusive 8-9 am. Worked well, Everyone cheery as usual.

This might not seem low carb related, but Dr Eric Westman is in the group of doctors promoting universal use of face masks. His support group has local mask makers sharing patterns and materials. DietDoctor has a long but thorough explanation of why homemade masks might help flatten the curve. Currently contrary to US advice, this movement may change things. Many good links to stats and op-Ed pieces why you should consider this in addition to eating an immune strengthening ketogenic diet. https://www.dietdoctor.com/should-y...-mask-in-public
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Mar-31-20, 15:37
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Folks, it would be helpful to have a separate thread about masks in the off-topic area. Let's keep this thread dedicated to low-carb related discussion, okay

If you've wondered where your posts went, they now live in their own dedicated thread . Feel free to continue the discussioin there .. masks for covid-19
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Mar-31-20, 17:24
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

About noon I decided to search Amazon for fresh ground bison. What a surprise!
Amazon Prime, personal shopper, fresh veg, fruit, frozen foods, eggs delivered outside of the door before dinner time. Free! (delivery, that is)
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Mar-31-20, 17:30
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

I'm on a very tight budget, so tend to shop at the discount branches of national chains. In my region of Canada, that's NoFrills, Food Basics and FreshCo. They were all restocked by late last week . All stores here have instituted an early hour for "vulnerable persons, including seniors". I'm glad they've made this designatioin, as there are young people with disabilities or compromised immunity for whom it would be better to shop in advance of the crowds . I'm 61, not senior according to the rules, but I tend to shop later in the day near closing time. Interestingly, there aren't many crowds then . Of course there are versions of personal distancing everywhere .. floor markers 6 ft apart, plexiglass protectors for cashiers, only alternate self-checkout terminals opened, restricted entry requiring distanced line-up outside the store, etc. Patience is the order of the day .. but who knows how long that will last?

Eggs, pork chops, cut-up chicken parts and fresh produce have been abundant in my local stores . So far I haven't noticed price-gouging. My freezer and pantry are stocked with enough for a month. I really only need to hit the grocery once a week for fresh produce and coffee cream.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Apr-01-20, 05:18

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

While I do best in my area hitting any store as soon as it opens.

Monday I went to the store that seems to keep stock the best (but still no TP -- what is with you people?) and I was one of three customers. Not many precautions beyond that, but I was able to get grass fed burger and human pork ground meat. That's become our staples. Once a week I get a brisket.
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Apr-01-20, 05:51

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

At the grocery store where I shop, they have a senior's hour from 7:00 to 8:00 every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday mornings. Figures. I retire and think I can sleep in every day. Nope, now I have to get up early just to shop!
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Apr-01-20, 05:59

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
While I do best in my area hitting any store as soon as it opens.

Monday I went to the store that seems to keep stock the best (but still no TP -- what is with you people?) and I was one of three customers. Not many precautions beyond that, but I was able to get grass fed burger and human pork ground meat. That's become our staples. Once a week I get a brisket.

Really hoping that's supposed to say "humane."
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Apr-01-20, 08:14

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser

LOL! Yes, it was. We're aren't in Stalingrad yet
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Apr-01-20, 11:45

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser

Hilarious, Soylent Green anyone?

Noticed that Costco is now offering the hours of 8am - 9am Tuesday through Thursday for those 60 and over. This is a good move, and they are now limiting 2 people per membership card. As this is one of my "go to" stores, I'll plan accordingly. This is my place to purchase my foundational low carb proteins, and I appreciate them keeping meats and fish well stocked.
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Apr-01-20, 12:28

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

I am down to my last 2 rolls
living in a lockdown facility
stores stock at 6 am
shelves empty by 6:30
Amazon will not ship till the end of May
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Apr-01-20, 15:44

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Hilarious, Soylent Green anyone?

Noticed that Costco is now offering the hours of 8am - 9am Tuesday through Thursday for those 60 and over. This is a good move, and they are now limiting 2 people per membership card. As this is one of my "go to" stores, I'll plan accordingly. This is my place to purchase my foundational low carb proteins, and I appreciate them keeping meats and fish well stocked.

Thank goodness they've added another day for Old Geezer Hour (yep, that includes me). I went last week, and although entering was a very civilized "Please wait behind the line, and we'll give you a freshly sanitized cart as soon as that person is to 6 ft mark on the floor", it was too crowded in there. The further you got from the front of the store, the worse the crowding was. It was ridiculous back in the paper goods and water area - no way to keep 6 feet away from others, because as soon as I rounded the corner and was able to see the crowd in that area, there was someone right behind me.

I realize I live in an area that has tons of retirement complexes, senior citizen apartment buildings, and housing developments for over 55, but apparently everyone who lives in one of those places shops at Costco, and with the crowd there, they really needed an extra day for that senior hour.

One of the reasons I went out there was that I needed to buy some chicken, and they were out of what I needed. I'll need to find some chicken elsewhere. Since they had most everything else I needed, I probably won't go out there again for several weeks.
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Apr-02-20, 10:24

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

For those able to receive deliveries from Amazon/Whole Foods, I just had an experience this morning where I added items to my shopping cart, went to check out, had to select a delivery day and time option, and it indicated that there were no delivery times currently available for today, but would open new windows throughout the day. I refreshed the screen every 15 minutes or so, and was finally presented with a delivery option for today before 4pm. I selected that option and finalized my purchase. I'll try this method going forward.
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Apr-02-20, 10:30
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

My shopping adventure today was prompted by a notification that Sam's Club now has both senior hours and (supposedly) a special area for seniors to park, wait for service, hand over a list, wait for delivery to the car. I was at my club at 7am and the line was all the way down the block and I didn't see the designated parking area so I left.

Not wanting to waste my outing, I stopped at two markets along the way where I didn't have to wait and was able to get in and out with no issues or lost time and effort.

Just gotta learn to work the Sam's system to my advantage. LOL
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Apr-02-20, 11:17

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
For those able to receive deliveries from Amazon/Whole Foods, I just had an experience this morning where I added items to my shopping cart, went to check out, had to select a delivery day and time option, and it indicated that there were no delivery times currently available for today, but would open new windows throughout the day. I refreshed the screen every 15 minutes or so, and was finally presented with a delivery option for today before 4pm. I selected that option and finalized my purchase. I'll try this method going forward.
Great idea. I believe that I have access to Amazon/Whole Foods delivery though I haven't actually tried it yet - but when shopping on Amazon I've occasionally been asked if I wanted an item as a Whole Foods delivery so I guess it should be available. However right now I'm so stocked with food I don't even have much room in my fridge or freezer! Will keep in mind going forward though. A lot easier than trying to brave Costco right now.
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Apr-02-20, 11:55

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

That pork adds a new twist to "live markets"

I’ve had no problem with the Costco senior hours, crowds, or stock...one day there was a shipment of TP, another day of paper towels. Chicken, even rotisserie at 8am, eggs, meats, all there. Only the 1000mg Vit C was out of stock, but By the second visit, 500mg Was available.

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Apr-02-20 at 12:00.