Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-20-10, 15:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins ish
Stats: 200/199/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 2%
Default {groan}

well...grrr...i have been on and off my LC woe and I really need to shape up and just do it and stop making excuses and thinking I can try something else that might work. I really have to prioritize this in my life. I'm getting frustrated and I haven't even completed a full induction (this time around)...what the h*ck is wrong with me???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-20-10, 15:32

Plan: Carnivore / VLC
Stats: 185/182/155 Female 5' 7 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hey there,
Maybe you're like me... I've been low carbing for about 3 years now. And while I've been fairly successful with it in terms of shedding some pounds, every now and then I still fall back into the old mindset of "just one won't hurt". Well, no, one WILL hurt because I can never stop at "just one". Also, I still have trouble wrapping my head around the concept that my body does not function properly with sugar- and flour-laden foods that everyone around me seems to have no trouble with. It's frustrating not being able to shove whatever food I want into my mouth sometimes, but I know I'm healthier for maintaining a low carb lifestyle. You're right, though; it's all a matter of priority and setting your mind to what you want to achieve. Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-20-10, 18:14
Registered Member

BF:

You're right...it seems to just snowball...i'll have one high-carb item and then that awful dream comes true: I wake up and have regained all my weight. Bleah.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-20-10, 18:16

Plan: LC
Stats: 167/156/145 Female 63 in
BF:
Progress: 50%

I think, like smoking, you just have to focus every day on staying on track. It isn't fair that some people can eat everything they want but life just isn't fair.

Try not to let surprise situations derail you. If you have to eat a Atkins bar instead of the food being served, do it. Treat yourself to really good LC foods. Get the steak and veggies!

You also have to be ready to do this - to flip that switch and go LC 100%. If you haven't got other things in your life sorted out, it will be that much harder to do.

You can do it. You really can, you just can't half-ass it.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-20-10, 19:17

Plan: Atkins ~ DANDR
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:it is going down!
Progress: 0%

I am personally going on a 30 day "cheat" free challenge. I have been too slack and allowing too many treats, even going as far as trying to switch up plans to see what I could get away with (knowing full and well for me Atkins is the answer to ALL my physical and mental issues). So now, if I can go 30 days without cheating and eating off plan ~ then I am going to go tanning a couple times a month. By then it will be coming near the end of Feb and well ~ that only means spring is around the corner.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-20-10, 22:28

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 165/130/125 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 88%

I think planning ahead really helped me this time(although I'm only in two weeks). I made sure to stock the freezer(took quite a while on my budget), think about what to have on hand if I couldn't or didn't want to cook, and from previous tries, knew my sugar cravings would start to go away in a few days. I usually fell off the wagon from running out of the right kinds of food and thinking I'd just resume this woe when I had more money. That never worked. I think if you anticipate possible bad situations ahead of time and are mentally prepared to deal with them, it will help you a great deal. You can do this!!! And, the support from this forum is awesome!!!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-20-10, 23:00

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 282/266.2/174 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default Fear of Success

Have you ever considered the fear of success? I had that. I was afraid if I reach my goals I will actually have to do the things I said I would do. I would have to interact with men who weren't my husband and might be tempted into inappropriate relationships (silly, but a fear of mine). I might not like being slim and trim.....hummmmm any of these ring true for any of you? I am no longer afraid to be successful. I know I can handle those issues. If not at first I have an amazing support system in place to walk with me when I get closer and then arrive at my goal.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-21-10, 04:29
Registered Member

BF:

all really good advice...but I have to say that every time I have been thin in the past, I've been scared out of my mind. I hate the male attention...but recently worked through that with an awesome therapist and so maybe I can let that fear go now. I do need to plan, stock up, budget, etc...and remember to hang out more often with all of you.
Thank you...you all rock.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-21-10, 07:22

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManchMom
You're right...it seems to just snowball...i'll have one high-carb item and then that awful dream comes true: I wake up and have regained all my weight. Bleah.

This has become a recurring nightmare for me!!! I am just convinced that I'm going to wake up and be > 200lbs again. (Yes my stats don't reflect 210, but I'd lost a little before I did Atkins).
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-21-10, 07:38

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Fears can really stand in your way. But once you've faced up to those, another good technique is holding yourself accountable in writing. That means keeping a food diary and/or a journal. I know when I'm in denial, and it can go on for a long time.

P. S. to Sheila
Quote:
I am going to go tanning a couple times a month.
Um...if you're thinking of tanning beds, even twice a month could be a hazard to your beautiful skin. Maybe a massage or a facial instead?
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jan-30-10, 05:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 172.0/170.0/130 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 5%

P. S. to Sheila
Um...if you're thinking of tanning beds, even twice a month could be a hazard to your beautiful skin. Maybe a massage or a facial instead?[/QUOTE]

SPRAY TANS CHANGED MY LIFE!!!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jan-30-10, 12:34

Plan: Optimal diet/One free day
Stats: 300/175/165 Male 5ft9in
BF:
Progress: 93%

Fear of success is very real.Also the fear of the jealousy that co-workers will place on you sucks.Though I find that goes away after awhile.

I can see your dreading the instant cut off of yummy carbs.The body fights you and ups the cravings as blood sugar drops.Try this....use corn tortillas for your carbs.Use two per meal 3 times per day.

Lots of butter in pan,throw in two shredded tortillas and fry till crisp and then add in your eggs,salsa and sourcream etc.Burgers served over corn tortillas are heaven also.

Then after a week remove one tortilla from each meal.Its not hard as you won't really notice it.And finally week 3 you can if you want remove one completely from a meal.Thats around 25gms carbs by week 3 and trust me you'll lose the first two weeks regardless.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jan-30-10, 13:11
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstrike
I can see your dreading the instant cut off of yummy carbs.The body fights you and ups the cravings as blood sugar drops.Try this....use corn tortillas for your carbs.Use two per meal 3 times per day.
Still pushing the carbs eh Wolfstrike?

Oddly I found; after running low on food one week, then using up my last "Chicken 'n Rice" MRE -- is that what that was? I discovered having a bowl (2 cups) of white or brown rice, instead of my usual boiled new potato, with meat or fish held my hunger at bay all day even when I was cutting/chopping firewood. In fact I was less hungry the next day so I ate less meat (less calories) plus I slept better. I might add this mod in once or twice a fortnight now I rarely eat out anymore?
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jan-30-10, 15:27

Plan: Optimal diet/One free day
Stats: 300/175/165 Male 5ft9in
BF:
Progress: 93%

Hehe Mike u got me.

I did an experiment of the Matt Stone HED.I ate meals of fatty meats with alot of starch 3 times per day and was amazed that I actually didn't gain any weight.None at all.So now I am back to low carb since I feel better.

I still do carbups here and there just now I only use starch.Much better effects from it compared to junk foods and sugar.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jan-30-10, 15:56
Registered Member

Plan: Zero Carb / Warrior Diet
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress:

I second that. Corn tortillas are a junk food. Carb ups are psychological cocaine.