Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-20, 08:42

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Interesting about the keto bread! They were also first out of the gate in our area with GF products: though I avoid those too, of course, because of the carb content.

In my area, Aldis is great for certain basics, their fruit must be eaten that day, and their coffee and tea barely colors water and has no taste

I'm not a coffee drinker, so I didn't know that about their coffee. DH loves his coffee though, so I've often thought about getting some of theirs for him to try, but now I don't think I'll bother. I buy a huge thing of Folgers for him at Costco - the package claims it makes 400 cups. He drinks 1 mug per day at home, sometimes a 2nd mug on the weekends, and that huge container lasts him a month, maybe two months. He uses a 1 Tbsp measuring spoon to measure the coffee into the filter of the coffee maker... it's not just a well rounded measuring Tbsp, it's piled up as high as he can get it without spilling the grounds all over - and he uses 3 of those for a mug of coffee. He likes it strong enough to walk across the kitchen and slap him awake in the morning.

I don't buy fruit there, except some frozen berries (because I know I'll never be able to use an entire package of fresh berries before they go bad). Their veggies are fine, as long as they're in really good shape when I buy them, although it helps that DD2 gave me some Blu-apple things (and a year's worth of refills) to put in the produce drawer in the fridge - they absorb ethylene gasses from produce to prevent it from over-ripening and going bad so quickly. Even bagged spinach and zucchini last at least a week, sometimes 2 weeks. She said she kept green peppers in the fridge for an entire month using those things, and they were fine.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-20, 11:18

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
Just back from shopping at Whole Foods and I noticed two and bought one.

I got the 365 HWC.

ingredients: organic cream, organic milk

They also had Clover Sonoma ORGANIC HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM

ingredients: organic cream, milk

The problem with organic cream is that, more often than not, it is ultra pasteurized, which is a non starter for me, as it doesn't taste nice to me, and is hard to whip. We have a local dairy (that is, the dairy facilities are in our small city, but they sell all over the state, or at least the western part). They do not have organic cream, but their cows have not been treated with hormones, and their cream contains just cream and milk.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-20, 17:55

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
The only source I know is from our local health food store, where the price is like gold bars. Which I could manage, except once opened, it has to be used in two days or something, or it curdles. Nice and fresh, but I don't have a milkman bringing it to me every morning, either.
haha, one of my two sources for great pure HWC was Earth Fare, which I found and went to for the very first time last Saturday. Super store, great selection. Everything non-GMO, grass-fed meat, free-range eggs, etc.

And then the VERY NEXT DAY I was driving around listening to NPR, and they announced that Earth Fare was going out of business (after being around since 1975) and closing all their stores in the US. Sheesh, just my luck.
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-20, 03:25

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
And then the VERY NEXT DAY I was driving around listening to NPR, and they announced that Earth Fare was going out of business (after being around since 1975) and closing all their stores in the US. Sheesh, just my luck.

How bizarre! Since 1975... and now, with the keto craze, they can't make it?
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-20, 08:07

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quickly googled the company name.....3rd grocery to file bankrupcy.

Makes me think our wonderfully great economy is NOT quite so for many.
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-20, 08:17

BF:

Labels......been noodling this one around: MSG is added to salad dressings, like RANCH. Looking at the labels there is the vague words like "flavoring".

Makes me question all dressings. Can "organic" dressings have crap like MSG and the vegetable oils that are chemically treated... ???

Ive tried making my own dressings.... hard to beat the bottled dressings for flavor and convenience. sigh.
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-20, 12:40

BF:

"Flavoring" can be anything, including teaser's favorite, "beaver anal gland extract."
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-20, 13:26

BF:

ewwwwwww.........lol
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-20, 15:20

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
How bizarre! Since 1975... and now, with the keto craze, they can't make it?

Just a wild guess but the first generation works their buns off to create the business then the grown children inherit it and are privileged, living rich and not working much until all of the profits are burned off. (I have several business in mind where this has happened)
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-20, 20:30

BF:

This is a normal phenomenon. A boss long ago, a woman with a family, read a full length book on the generational effects of success, and the effect on the next generation, and the next, and the next, and it comes full circle just to repeat.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Sat, Feb-08-20 at 08:34.
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-20, 22:20

BF:

Another problem with the grocery industry is that the profit margins are so small. My Dad was in that business years ago and I remember him telling me that bit of info.
  #42   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-20, 03:21

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Just a wild guess but the first generation works their buns off to create the business then the grown children inherit it and are privileged, living rich and not working much until all of the profits are burned off. (I have several business in mind where this has happened)

That's very accurate. The founder sees an opportunity and is highly motivated, this sometimes works for the second generation under the influence of the founder, but the third generation is not only far from the roots, it is living in a different world entirely.
  #43   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-20, 09:14

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

What you're saying about generational differences in business is often very true, although not always - some companies, there's been family members dedicated to the company through hundreds of years, but even in that case, it sometimes only takes one generation with no interest in the business other than $$$ to bring a swift downfall.

In the case of Earth Fare, I think there's at least one more factor at play, in addition to what Meme said about grocery margins being so small - back in '75 when they first started, the only place you could find natural and organic foods was at a health food/natural food store. Regular grocery stores simply didn't carry organics back then. The natural food stores were mostly very small, privately owned stores. Unless you lived in a very large city, it was unusual to ever find more than one or two in your area, so when Earth Fare first started, it was a unique business - still a very niche market at that time, but interest in organics and natural foods was just beginning to really take off.

That's all changed, and in part it's due to stores such as Earth Fare expanding and opening additional stores - I read that they had stores all through the southeast, and midwest. But then enter Whole Foods, which has even more stores, in more areas of the country. Sure, they have excessively high prices (they don't have the nickname Whole Paycheck for nothing), but for those who aren't too limited on funds, a place to find all the organics and natural foods they needed under one roof - why bother to make a trip to a small, privately owned store with an extremely limited stock, if you had the choice of a store with everything you needed? So that's what led to the growth of natural food stores like Earth Fare and Whole foods.

I think what really hurt them the most though is that over the last couple of decades, practically every regular grocery store has noticed the trend towards natural and organic foods, and started selling organic foods. The store where I worked had two aisles devoted exclusively to organic and natural foods. (rather large store for this area, really long aisles) The organic aisles had their own dairy case, and frozen cases. But in addition to that, many brands of organic items which were not stocked in those two aisles were stocked throughout the rest of the store - more organic juices in the juice aisle, organic meats in the meat dept, more organic frozen foods in the frozen aisles, more organic dairy in the dairy area, etc. Corporate often talked about expanding the organic area to a third aisle, which was already almost 1/2 bulk foods (nuts, seeds, dried fruit). I doubt that if/when they expand the organic to 3 aisles it would mean moving all the organics from the rest of the store into that aisle though - they have their own store brand line of natural and organic foods in every department, a line of goods which they were expanding all the time. All in all, there's probably already as much (or maybe even more) products labeled organic and natural in that store as you'd find in our local Whole Foods.

It's not just that particular store though - every chain store in this area has more and more organics all the time. Even Aldi has a fairly good selection of organics for such a small store. The smaller, privately owned stores have organics too - something you didn't see much of 30 years ago, and never saw 40+ years ago.

Because all the chain stores now sell a variety of organics, there are very few privately owned organic stores remaining in this area - the only ones I know of that are doing really well are the ones owned by Amish families. The others are dying off because they can't compete with large grocery stores that have more organics in a couple aisles than they have in their entire store. One of the main reasons the amish stores are still doing well is that they have such low operating expenses compared to chain stores of any kind. Their prices are still higher than at a chain store, but that's primarily because they don't have the wholesale price negotiating power of a chain. Even so, they're still doing well because they're knowledgeable about their products, have a built in repeat clientele (the Amish are more likely to shop Amish stores - more convenient, since their stores are located right on their farms, with farms all around them), and of course it doesn't hurt their business that once tourists hear that there's an Amish store nearby, they're all agog about shopping at a store owned by Amish.

But I digress... With Amazon's purchase of Whole Foods, and the wholesale buying power of a behemoth like Amazon, they've been able to cut the prices a bit on some of the things they sell at Whole Foods, so even the price differential is not as much of an issue as it was. (I can't imagine Earth Fare was in any way able to compete with that kind of wholesale buying power)

Then there's online ordering - you can get a large selection of organic shelf stable items right off Amazon, and pretty much any organics you want online, including meats and other refrigerated items from local stores that offer online ordering with curb pickup or delivery. However you shop, whether online or in person, you're still more likely to go with a store that offers everything you need at the best price. Was Earth Fare large enough to provide that advantage? With 1/4 of the stores of Whole Foods, lacking the price negotiating power of Amazon, and competition from every other store offering online ordering, I somehow doubt it.

Since Earth Fare is closing because they went bankrupt, I doubt their financial difficulties started within the last year or two - I would imagine it's been going on for quite a while, and they just didn't see any way to recoup their losses. (I haven't seen yet what exactly they're blaming it on, but there can be all kinds of reasons for a business going under - there was one locally owned bank here that had to sell out to a large chain of banks several years back - one of their banking officers had embezzled so much money that they had no other option) They're not the only store to go out of business recently either - I know of several national chain stores in all types of retail businesses in this area who have gone bankrupt in the last several years - most of them just in the last few months.

Sorry to be so wordy - I feel bad about them going out of business (even though I'd never even heard of them before the news came out that they were going out of business), I just wanted to point out that there could very well be other factors involved.
  #44   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-20, 15:00

BF:

Quote:
With Amazon's purchase of Whole Foods, and the wholesale buying power of a behemoth like Amazon, they've been able to cut the prices a bit on some of the things they sell at Whole Foods, so even the price differential is not as much of an issue as it was. (I can't imagine Earth Fare was in any way able to compete with that kind of wholesale buying power)

I definitely agree with Amazons buying power and it may even be worse if there are anti-trust activities associated with that, as in "you sell to us and no other company, or else!"
Which squeezes the little independent guy out of the market completely.
  #45   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-20, 19:06

BF:

Walmart dictates the pricing to suppliers, regardless of who else that supplier sells to. Helos WM keep wages low.