Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 16:08

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/210/160 Male 5' 7"
BF:31%/31%/24%
Progress: 0%

Taken from two different messages:
Quote:
On the 10th day of the month, all recipe submissions will be posted in a poll format and the membership can vote for the RoM. The poll will close on the 15th day of the month. This should allow plenty of time to prepare and comment on the RoM.

You don't rate the recipe until AFTER you've made it...the rating should be left until AFTER the RoM has been voted for (15th of the month).

I'm not prepared to vote on nor rate (what's the difference?) a recipe before I make it. How could anybody, unless taste weren't part of the voting/rating considerations?

If there are, for example, six submissions for the RoM, I probably won't make all of them until the end of the month. Does anybody else think that making a lot of new recipes by mid-month in order to vote/rate them is burdensome?

Am I unclear on the concepts of voting and rating?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 16:45
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi acohn:

Voting and rating are two separate things.

Anyone can submit recipes but only 1 of those recipes gets voted to be the Recipe of the Month, which everyone tries. On the 15th, the Recipe of the Month is announced (based on the results of the poll that will be posted on the 10th). Then everyone makes the recipe and rates it.

so.... everyone votes on which recipe they would like to try...the most popular vote becomes the RoM....then everyone makes the recipe and rates it based on how it tastes...

Is that more clear?

Wanda
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 16:53

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/210/160 Male 5' 7"
BF:31%/31%/24%
Progress: 0%

Quote:
...everyone votes on which recipe they would like to try...

Aha! This was the concept I was missing. I don't like it. I'm predicting that all the recipes will be those that you can make with a minimum of fuss, and that's only part of the what makes a recipe worth trying. Karen's cauliflower puree looked mighty strange and labor-intensive at first, and now it's a staple in my house. A bacon-cheddar meatloaf? It took all my mental strength, plus plenty of "I-just-made-it-and-it's-awesome!" comments to get past my anti-fat conditioning on that one. It, too, is now a staple in my house. At first glance, neither one of these would get my RoM vote based solely on looking at the recipe. But they'll be my submissions when the theme is right.

I think that deciding which recipe will be the RoM should require making it.

Last edited by acohn : Wed, Jun-04-03 at 16:56.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 18:04

Plan: South/Atkins/Ornish/etc.
Stats: 275/260/190 Male 5'10"
BF:lbs&in. first, ok?
Progress: 18%

It's an evolutionary process. Like following a new recipe for the first time, we don't expect the RoMC to go perfectly smoothly right out of the gate. (OK, I do, but then I've always had pretty high expectations. )

Perhaps we'll extend the polling period so that folks have more time to prepare dishes. Maybe we'll re-examine how recipe ratings get counted. Whatever works for us in the long run, we can adapt and be flexible.

The "competition" is not the aim, at least for me. The whole idea here in my mind was to get folks to share some of the creative energy we've all had to put into the LC WOE and to energize each other with new ideas. I've heard way too many folks on this board come up with some really great ideas, only to follow up with "but I'm not as creative as NNN", or "XXX has a better approach to this than I do". There's a huge store of good ideas on this board, and I want to encourage everyone to contribute!
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 19:34

Plan: atkins
Stats: 130//
BF:
Progress: 103%
Default hi scott

not sure how the rules discussion got attached to your recipe (well i can see how it happened ) so i am redirecting it over here... anyway, i would like to see members RATE any of the recipes, the only requirement being that they have actually made it. As this forum grows i will want to search it for recipes and it would really help to have the star rating right there on the thread title. A plea to everyone- when submitting a recipe please put the title of the recipe in the name of the thread ...i.e. fried chicken, nomination NOT just "nomination"or "this is really good". I still am not sure how to vote for the recipe i want to make but will hang on and figure that on the 10th it will be much clearer to me...thanks
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 19:45

Plan: South/Atkins/Ornish/etc.
Stats: 275/260/190 Male 5'10"
BF:lbs&in. first, ok?
Progress: 18%

Quote:
please put the title of the recipe in the name of the thread

I completely agree, and have a further suggestion. Notice that when I posted my submission for June, I named the thread with the date, in year/month format, and the recipe name. This accomplishes two things.

First, it immediately highlights which month's theme the recipe is for. As we go on with this, month after month, it'll be nice to be able to quickly eyeball which recipes we're voting on this month.

Second, if you wanted to quickly sort a very large number of recipe threads (he said, with great hope...) you can click on the "Thread" link up there, and all the recipes would very nicely land in month-by-month groups. You could quickly isolate which ones you were looking for, then go back to sorting by last-post date by clicking on that column.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 20:00
Mad Scientist

BF:

We have some good discussions going.

Scott, the dated title is great for the RoM forum (and as we discussed, we will be renaming the actual RoM in this format), but the only glitch I see is that all the submitted recipes that don't become the RoM will get moved into their appropriate places on the Low Carb Recipes forum (ie. Main Dishes, Breakfast Ideas, etc.) once the vote has been done. Since the RoM is only a temporary holding area for most of the submitted recipes, it might get confusing for people trying to find a specific recipe in those other forums if the title of the recipe starts with a date.

Hopefully I haven't confused you.

Wanda
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 21:16

BF:
Default hi wanda,

can we copy the recipes to their appropriate place in the low carb kitchen and leave them in our ROM club? I probably just need to refine my search techniques because right now it takes me forever to sort through say breakfast foods to find a pancake recipe- if i see a recipe here at ROM that i like i fear i will never find it again just brainstorming
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 21:18

BF:
Default another thought

wont some of the submitted recipes be from our low carb recipes forum? will we be duplicating them from there to here back to there again
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 07:12
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Lattegrl:

Quote:
can we copy the recipes to their appropriate place in the low carb kitchen and leave them in our ROM club?

My understanding is that our wonderful moderators will be moving all the submitted recipes (except for the RoM) after the poll is completed. The reason for this is that we are trying to prevent clutter and duplication in the RoM forum.

But the chosen RoM recipe will remain on the forum.

I think as you get used to the search function, it might get a little easier to find the recipes you are looking for. It seems a little daunting at first. When doing a search for a recipe, it's best to do a search on the Kitchen forum ONLY instead of all the forums. Then just plug in your search word(s). We'll certainly help you out if you are having trouble.

Here's a thread that might help people who are having trouble finding recipes: Looking for a Recipe?
Quote:
wont some of the submitted recipes be from our low carb recipes forum? will we be duplicating them from there to here back to there again

It's possible that there will be some submissions from the LC kitchen. The submitter could either link the post on the RoM forum back to the orginating recipe or else just duplicate the recipe. The moderators may have a preference, I'm not sure. Either way, there shouldn't be any duplication b/c the submission would be deleted from the RoM forum.

That's the plan for now. It could change as we go through our trial run.

Thanks for the thoughts,
Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Thu, Jun-05-03 at 07:23.
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 10:49

BF:
Default i will try

but i just tried again to find a cheesecake recipe by following the directions in the link- looking for a recipe, what i get is 185 threads about discussions of cheesecake, things that taste like cheesecake, even lots about how good the new york or devine cheesecake was however there are not RECIPES to make them I tried searching by title only and the results arent much better- miss alot because the titles arent the name of the recipe or turn out to be a question about cheesecake- I know I am WHINING!!! I enjoy the discussions if thats what i sat down at the computer to do, but if i just want a recipe this is way to frustrating. ( I use many other recipe sites on the net and find them sooo much easier) . If this is a case of I cant have my cheesecake and eat it too, then i will enjoy participating in the ROM club anyway and use it for "entertainment purposes only"
Thanks for letting me put in well over my 2cents worth.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-03, 19:52
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Lattegrl:

Quote:
My understanding is that our wonderful moderators will be moving all the submitted recipes (except for the RoM) after the poll is completed. The reason for this is that we are trying to prevent clutter and duplication in the RoM forum.

This should work out in your favor. The recipes get moved to the LC Kitchen, but the links remain on the RoM.

Wanda
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Aug-24-04, 12:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/190/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default More concerning copyright

Suppose one wants to retain the copyright to a recipe that is completely one's own. Which applies:

1. All recipes printed here are the property of the forum.

2. One can put the copyright with the circled c on the recipe and retain all later rights.

3. One must first go throught official copyright channels to retain the copyright.
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Aug-24-04, 12:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/190/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Great point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acohn
Aha! This was the concept I was missing. I don't like it. I'm predicting that all the recipes will be those that you can make with a minimum of fuss, and that's only part of the what makes a recipe worth trying. Karen's cauliflower puree looked mighty strange and labor-intensive at first, and now it's a staple in my house. A bacon-cheddar meatloaf? It took all my mental strength, plus plenty of "I-just-made-it-and-it's-awesome!" comments to get past my anti-fat conditioning on that one. It, too, is now a staple in my house. At first glance, neither one of these would get my RoM vote based solely on looking at the recipe. But they'll be my submissions when the theme is right.

I think that deciding which recipe will be the RoM should require making it.

The concerns you raise are good ones. Sometimes we are in the mood for more complicated cooking and sometimes we just want it fast and easy. Why not have two recipes of the month:

First: An easy that everyone tries and votes on.

Second: A more complicated one vetted and voted on. Instead of everyone having to make it, use a rotating panel of judges. This lessens the work for us all.
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Sep-18-04, 20:54

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 216/166/150 Female 60 inches
BF:45%/33.5%/28%
Progress: 76%
Default about copyrights to 'recipes'

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrottop
Suppose one wants to retain the copyright to a recipe that is completely one's own. Which applies:
1. All recipes printed here are the property of the forum.
2. One can put the copyright with the circled c on the recipe and retain all later rights.
3. One must first go throught official copyright channels to retain the copyright.

I'm sure Karen or another moderator will jump in here with an appropriate answer, but as a published author of several other types of writing, as well as of 'recipes,' you can't copyright an individual recipe--only a collection of recipes published as an entirety in a cookbook. You can't copyright a list of ingredients...only the description/directions included with the recipe. You can put a citation in your own recipe that says something like "this recipe was created by..." but the (c) in an individual recipe is meaningless in the context of typical U.S. copyright law. If someone 'copies' your ingredient list but changes the wording of the description/directions, or if they change even one ingredient description, they've created a new recipe and your 'copyright' citation is worthless.