Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-01, 08:06

Plan: atkins
Stats: 249/230/150
BF:
Progress: 19%

Thanks for the advice. I dont think your mean. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and I appreciate you expressing yours. The only thing is I dont think I can return these vitamins. So when I finish them I will take your advice and go to a health food store. If the l-canitine is a performance booster and increases the body's ability for energy would'nt this be a good thing? Or am I getting it wrong? I do feel like I don't have energy at times but I think that may be due to my underactive thyroid. Please let me know if you recommend this stuff then. My vitamin has B-1,2,6,and 12. Is that good? What antioxidants are you talking about? I am a total dummy when it comes to stuff like this, not knowing whats good for you and why etc. Can't ya tell? So I really do appreciate the help. Sabrina
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-01, 13:42

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 230/218/170
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Sabrina

Quote:
If the l-canitine is a performance booster and increases the body's ability for energy would'nt this be a good thing? Or am I getting it wrong? I do feel like I don't have energy at times but I think that may be due to my underactive thyroid.
L-Carnitine is one of those things that you need to try and see if it works for you. If you respond to it, wonderful! If not, well at least you tried. Isn't your doc recommending something for your thyroid? It may be a likely culprit in your fatigue.
Quote:
I am a total dummy when it comes to stuff like this, not knowing whats good for you and why etc. Can't ya tell? So I really do appreciate the help
First, I don't think of you as a dummy at all, you have what it takes to learn something new! That's called being smart! Second, I love this stuff .
Basics rule to remember:
Fat soluble vitamins will be stored in your body. You need to be aware that this accumulative affect can turn them from friend to foe due to toxicity at high levels. Don't over-do these.
Vit. A (Beta-carotene is not fat soluble. Your body will convert it into vit. A)
Vit. D
Vit. E
Vit. K
The rest of the vitamins are water soluble , meaning that they aren’t stored. What your body doesn’t need, it releases.
Quote:
My vitamin has B-1,2,6,and 12. Is that good?

B-Complex
B1—Thiamin
B2—Riboflavin
B3—Niacin
B6—Pyridoxine
Biotin
Pantothenic Acid and Pantethine
Folic Acid
B12--Cobalamin
The ‘unofficial’ B Vitamins
Choline
Inositol
Quote:
What antioxidants are you talking about?
Antioxidants
Again, to keep it simple, you should (and may already)understand what role antioxidants play in your body by knowing about free radicals. No, they’re not political extremists living in a free society. Yes, they’re the same ones that you learned about in high school chemistry. To refresh your memory, a free radical is a molecule with two or more unpaired electrons that do not react to each other, but do react with other molecules in their attempt to find balance. When this process breaks up another molecule it comes in contact with, the remaining pieces will not behave like the original molecule, thus it causes damage to the body. Research has shown us that free radical damage is the under lying cause of many diseases as they react to our lipids, proteins and nucleic acids.

This is where antioxidants come in, they protect the body from free radical damage. Think of them as mopping up the damaging free radicals in your body. The body’s two primary antioxidants are vitamins C and E. Vitamin E mops up free radicals in fats (lipids) and is known as a lipid phase antioxidant, and vitamin C mops up free radicals in water and is known as an aqueous phase antioxidant. They need supportive nutrients such as Selunium, zinc and vitamin A (Beta-carotene) which you're most likely getting in your daily multiple.

Last edited by Ka3n : Sat, Nov-10-01 at 16:06.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-01, 13:50

BF:

Thanx Ka3ryn, One more question, if my body didnt react well to the l-carnitine how would I know? Would there possibly be some reactions that you know of? I believe my vit. has all of those in it,si I should be good to go? The lady at the healthfood store said that women need extra pottas,calci,and magnes, I currently take the pottas supplement, are the others needed like she said? Just want to make sure need more than one opinion, I dont want to give my body something it doesnt need that could be harmful. Sabrina
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-01, 13:54

BF:
Default p.s.

I forgot to tell ya that I do currently take synthyroid and have been for several years. My doctor checks my blood quite often to see if my dose is ok. Thats why I wondered about the carnitine.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-01, 14:07

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 230/218/170
BF:
Progress: 20%

Quote:
if my body didnt react well to the l-carnitine how would I know?
You would feel no increase of energy
Quote:
Would there possibly be some reactions that you know of?
I just checked several sources and none list any known side effects. This is not to say that you won't have something come up so keep an eye on what your body is telling you.
This is another reason why it's so important not to do too many things at once. It's hard to keep up with what is helping and what is hindering. The body also needs time to adjust. If you're not having any negative reactions, you should give any herbal or nutrient at least a month to see if it works or not.
Quote:
The lady at the healthfood store said that women need extra pottas,calci,and magnes, I currently take the pottas supplement, are the others needed like she said?
With this WOE, you most likely need potassium as we are drinking a lot of water depleting it. However, for women, our need for calcium goes up as our estrogen levels go down. Cal-Mag-Pot w/ Vit D is often used because they aid in the absoption of Calcium. I assume this is why she recommended the supplement. If your multiple has the Cal-Mag why don't you try to keep it as simple as possible for now and see how you feel?
Quote:
I dont want to give my body something it doesnt need that could be harmful.
I agree with you.
Does he have you keep track of your basal temp. (taken in the am first thing?) There are some other things that might help with fatigue if the amino acid doesn't help. Remind me later if it doesn't help you.