Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-02, 15:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210+/188/140 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 89%
Cool Eyes burning!

Hello. My 3rd question on this forum today. =) I'm a brand new member. As a background, I've been on the Atkins diet for 4 days now. Along with the migraines, nausia and the fatigue I have noticed my eyes are very sensitive to light now and they burn 24/7. I have been reading posts and no one has mentioned anything about this. Anyone have this symptom or know a cure? And just for some more background, I have been getting a normal amount of sleep.

Loving the forum,
Kirsten =)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-16-02, 05:24
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/272.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

I haven't heard of eyes burning and itching as a symptom of withdrawal. It could be though. Or perhaps you came into contact with an irritant to your eyes. Maybe you should have it checked out by an eye doctor.

Beth
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-16-02, 08:02
Registered Member

Stats: 252/196/169
BF:
Progress: 67%

Hi

I did not have these symptoms, sorry i cannot help there but just wanted to let you know i felt incredibly awful in the first part of induction (and still do at times) - so can commiserate with you. mind you, my eyes are more sensitive when i am tired, so may be linked to that.... hope they improve very soon.

Emma
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-16-02, 08:15
Registered Member

Stats: 150.8/145.8/135 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 32%
Arrow

Hi,

I'm in my 3rd week of Atkins and can't say that I've noticed a "burning sensation" in my eyes, however they were very *dry* the first week. I'm not sure why that is, but it has passed.....along with the headaches and fatigue.

I hope it gets better for you and soon!!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-16-02, 08:37
Registered Member

Stats: 240/234/130 Female 5feet 2inches
BF:
Progress: 5%
Question water?

Could it be how much water your drinking? I noticed that when I increased my H20 the nausea eased up and I had a sticky mouth that subsided too. This is allergy season starting up everywhere too. You've never had this problem before???

Good luck finding an answer!

Jenni
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-16-02, 10:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, modified
Stats: 195/175.5/140
BF:
Progress: 35%

When I am on Induction, my hard contacts get way more deposits on them and I have to clean them more often. Not sure if it is protien or just mucous. I too, recomend your seeing a doctor if it does not go away. Good luck
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-16-02, 10:58

Stats: 212/204/180
BF:
Progress: 25%

hi, funny you have brought this up...

I was actually with my G.P. this morning with irritated eyes. I told him I was on the diet but he dosen't think that this WOL is to blame. He has given me some drops and advised a humidifier (Riyadh is VERY dry). I still think that it may have something to do with what I am eating because I have lived here a long time and have never suffered with the climate before and the symptoms started on induction. I have upped my water intake to see if that helps. I also think that more deposit on the contact lenses could be significant.

Any other ideas????
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-16-02, 11:53

Stats: 210+/188/140 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 89%

Thank you very much Elihnig, Emma2002, 2bfit, jknowles, EmmaG for the input! This forum is very helpful. I'm glad I stumbled across it.

Kirsten
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-16-02, 13:53

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%
Default hi

Hey, they're probably just withdrawl symptoms. Your getting bad headaches and migranes, which usually sensitivity to light comes with that ..so ya thats probably why.

Are you checking what you're eating to make sure theres nohidden carbs or are you cheating? Are you eating any low carb bars or drinking lowcarb shakes? That would do it too. They can make them worse and cause more cravings and stuff..
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-18-02, 09:22

Stats: 193/179/165 Male 68 inches
BF:26.5%
Progress: 50%

I don't know where you live, but here in New England there was an outbreak of red-eye or conjunctivitis. Also, people with allergies including myself, have had some burning and itching in my eyes. It's seem to have cleared up this week. I just used Visine eye drops.