Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 06:49

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 233/192/145 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 47%

Hi there,

I am a little late in reading these because my computer was down for a few weeks.

You are having a real hard time getting started on CAD. It seems you can only make it a couple of days. It sounds to me like you are going into your RM starved, right?? Let me ask you, are you eating enough at your CM's to last you until your RM? Why don't you post what you are eating at your CM's,. There is a chance that you are eating something that just might be causing you these problems. You are not drinking diet sodas, or chewing gum are you? Are you starting your RM with a nice big salad. I know you said you don't care for salads, veggies all that much, but it is important that you eat the salad or your favorite CM veggies before you begin your RM. Don't make it just a simple salad, add some of your favorite goodies, like pepperoni, cheeses, olives and crutons and put on your favorite salad dressing..

The important thing is to keep posting, especially if you are having problems. I have to give you credit, you keep trying. I think once you can make it at least 3 to 4 days you will find that it will become easier. You need to get your body into balance and that will happen if you stick with it. Go ahead and post a couple of days of your menu, write down everything that you put in your mouth. There just might be something you are eating that is triggering your system and you don't even realize it.

Good luck to you.. I hope this will work because CAD is a great program when followed like it was meant to be.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 07:24

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/210/125 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 0%

hi thank you so much for responding. i am not doing diet sodas, never really drank them so they are not a problem. not a gum chewer either. i think you may have hit the nail on the head about not eating enough at the cm meals. and i forgot that on the salad at the reward meal i could really do it up right, with the croutons and all, thanks. i wasnt eating veggies or salad before the reward meal, i think it is because i have read some of the journals here and they just eat what they want for the reward meal with out the salad first and they seem to be doing fine, but i guess i may not be one of them. i do have the original cad book and i did read it through and through but maybe i will re read it again, i havent read it in a while.

do any of you that do cad eat any of the new low carb foods that came out?? like i found yogurt that has 3 carbs or would the artifical sweetner splenda that is in it cause a binge. how about a lowcarb wrap, i found one that has only one carb in it. i guess i will have to test it to see if it brings on cravings. i will keep on trying, i am just about at the end of my rope. out of everything i go through on this plan, i do notice that i am not as bloated ,even staying on it for one or two days, that is why i want to make it work.
  #48   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 07:45

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 233/192/145 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 47%

Hi again.

Just a quick one before I leave for work. NO do not eat the yogurt or have that wrap outside of your RM. Trust me, you will have cravings and you will just be sabotaging your plan. I think the AS in the yogurt could cause you big time problem and I don't trust the wraps that they are making at some of these fast food chains. They are not as low carbed as they are claiming. I think you should keep it plain and simple until you get firmly back on plan. For now, if it is not on the list of foods to eat in the book then just assume you can't eat them. You need to get yourself firmly on plan first before you start trying different things.

Make sure your CM's are filling. Don't worry about measuring or weighing any of your CM foods. Just eat until you are comfortable. If you still are having a problem being starved at your RM, than have a CM snack between your lunch and dinner. Once you get on plan you will find that your appetite has deminished some and you probably won't need to snack.

I too started out with the very orginal CAD booK. It did not put much emphasis on balancing. All it said was to have a balanced RM, but it didn't say about starting your RM with a salad. Since they wrote this book, they have wrote a second version of CAD and it does put emphasis on the balancing of your RM, by eating a large salad first and balancing the rest of your meal into 3 rds. 1/3 protein, 1/3 CM veggies and 1/3 carbs.

I am running late for work. Let us know how you are doing..
  #49   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 12:43

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Just one comment after following this thread for a while.

Willbthin, you need to make a commitment. Either do it or don't do it. You can ask for advice and you can read the advice, but nothing will work for you until you work for it.

Nothing in life is easy. No one can make this work except you.
  #50   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 15:10

BF:

you are so right bawdywench. i cant seem to commit to anything. and i really think for me it is not any specific eating plan that is going to make me lose weight. i have tried them all more than 3 times. i have to figure out why i eat. see, it seems that no matter what foods i eat, i will always eat when i am not hungry. lots of plans i did , i was satisfied on ,but i just keep eating. so until i really know the reason why i keep over eating, i will never win this battle. today i did fabulous with food, i started out with a lowcarb breakfast but got so busy at work that i didnt get to eat lunch, so when i caught a minute, i grabbed cup of beef barley vegetable soup and some potato salad and pasta salad, it took me over an hr to eat it, cause we were so busy at work. anyway, i came home from work and had a yogurt, i am not hungry at all. so you see, i guess if i was truly a carb addict which i took the test and i was, i probably wounldnt be able to stay in control some days. i am confused. i guess i just have to figure this out on my own. i have to decide when and what i eat, and until i learn to eat when truly hungry and stop when i am satisfied i wont get healthy. thank you all and i wont take up any more of your time about this way of eating and my obsession with foods and diet hopping.
  #51   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 17:49

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
thank you all and i wont take up any more of your time about this way of eating and my obsession with foods and diet hopping.
NO!!! That's exactly what you shouldn't do, unless you plan to fail. Everyone needs support when doing something as challenging as changing your way of life. That's what this board is for.

Okay, willbthin, I'm about to lay some tough love on you. This is fair warning; if you don't want to hear what I have to say, stop reading right now, 'cause I'm taking off the kid gloves.

Still here? Good.
  1. As Lloyd Dobler said in the movie Say Anything, "You must chill. You must chill." You change diets more often than some people change underwear. Right now, right this minute, take a deep breath. No, I'm serious. In through the nose, out through the mouth. Now another. RELAX. Take it one day at a time.
  2. Stop telling yourself that you can't commit, that you will fail. Because that IS what you've been telling yourself—and us. As Henry Ford said, "Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't, you're right." It's not true, anyway. You CAN commit; right now, for whatever reason, you are making the choice not to do so.
  3. That leads me to my next point. Why do you want to lose weight? That's not a rhetorical question, by the way. Do you want to be healthier? Have a better social life? Thumb your nose at your sister who's always been thin and lords it over you? Whatever the reason, it needs to be YOUR reason. This won't work if you're doing it for someone else, or just because you think you should. You really have to want it. If you don't really want it, that's okay too. It's your life. For a long time, I preferred eating what I wanted and not exercising to losing weight. My life; my choice.
  4. You say you have tried all (I assume you mean LC) eating plans three times. If you have tried them the way you have tried CAD, the plans have not failed; you have. No plan could possibly work within a few days. That doesn't mean you will continue to fail (many people have failed to lose weight on other plans before finding one that worked for them), but you have to accept responsibility and give whatever plan you try a chance to work without using one non-plan meal as an excuse to give up—because honestly, that's what you're doing now.
  5. One more time: if you really don't want to lose weight right now, that's okay. It doesn't make you a bad person. It doesn't make you lazy. It doesn't mean you will always be this way. (I decided for years that I'd rather be fat than lose weight. Lots of us have.) We won't like you any less if you decide you have other priorities in your life. If you decide you want to lose weight, though, you have to want it more than you want immediate gratification, more than you want to stuff down your feelings with bread or chocolate, more than you want popcorn and Coke at the movies, more than you want to eat whatever you want for whatever your personal reasons are. And you have to quit allowing one meal to be your excuse to give up. AND you have to realize it won't happen overnight.
We all want to help you. Really we do. I guarantee that your situation is so frustrating for some of us that we truly would do it for you if we could, but we just can't. All we can do is encourage and mentor you.
  #52   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 18:22

Plan: Plant-based
Stats: 200/168/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 53%

That really is some great advice FrecklFluf

This board has some awesome members. I love it! There is a wealth of information and support here!

Willbthin your sign on name tells me that you really want to do this. I honestly think you are in denial about being a carb addict. I know I was in denial for 3 yrs. I kept telling myself I didn't need CAD or any LC diet to help me lose weight. So did I lose weight? No, instead I gained weight. Somedays I was in total control of my carbs but I never lost an ounce. But I tell ya I was in denial! If you really want to do this you will...... if you would give this diet 2 weeks of no cheating and doing it by the book.....you would see and feel the difference. A few days on and a few days off isn't long enough to see any progress from any diet.

I hope that you decide that you want to do this, and you stay on this board b/c these people are truly wonderful Why not start a journal and post your daily menus for all to see?? Its helping me
  #53   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 19:55

BF:

you guys are so great!!! i want to lose weight for me. i feel very uncomfortable and disgusted with myself right now. maybe i am in denial. after failing trying to lose weight so many times, how can you possibly find the self confidence to believe you can commit to something???

now, frecklfluf, when you say the diets that i tried didnt fail you did, i am so perfectly aware of that. i know there are many eating plans out there that are really good, and it is the people that commit to them that have success. i am not complaining about any of the diets i have been on , well about how they will work anyway. obviously it is me who is not willing to commit long enough to see any of them work. that is why i was saying i dont know if any plans are for me. it is me who has to change my way of thinking not about change what i am eating. that is what i was thinking when i posted earlier about different diet plans.

i dont want to fail, i dont want to keep starting something and not finishing it. i do want to get healthy and stop binging. i just dont know how. i cant understand why i start a eating plan with such positive motivation, only to not give it about one day and then want to quit. if i knew the answers to these questions, i wouldnt be doing this to myself.

i will try to get a food journal started on here. tomorrow. i am going to try, that is all i can do.

i sooooooo do appreciate everyones opinions and suggestions. i really do want help. i know you guys cant do this for me. i know i am the only one that decides what goes in my mouth. i really really do want this. i guess i am done rambling i dont know what to say anymore. i think if i really deep down wanted to quit i wouldnt keep coming back here.

i will keep posting and letting you know what i am doing day by day and my feelings, maybe someone can figure out what the he** is going on with my and being able to commit to this.
  #54   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 20:15

BF:

Quote:
after failing trying to lose weight so many times, how can you possibly find the self confidence to believe you can commit to something???
Now you're getting somewhere. Is it possible that you keep sabotaging yourself because you are afraid that you won't be able to succeed no matter what, but at least if you screw up the plan you can believe that it might have worked for you? (I have done that before, not with weight loss, but with personal relationships. I think it's quite common.)

Maybe you should ask yourself, what's the worst that can happen? If the worst is that you try your best with CAD (or Atkins, or South Beach, etc.) and you don't lose weight, how does that make you any worse off than you are today? And if the worst happens—you give it your all, and you still don't lose any weight—you will have learned something, and you will get up, dust yourself off, and try again. You can DO this, willbthin. If you want to do this, DON'T give up. We are behind you all the way.

And do start a journal. They're not just food diaries, you know. Pour your heart out in there. Give yourself some quiet time to think, really think, about what is going on in your head ... and then let us know.
  #55   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 20:17

BF:

Oh, and if I were you, I would SERIOUSLY think about getting a different job. The food service industry makes losing weight hard in a lot of ways.
  #56   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 20:26

BF:

i understand that, but i dont drive, this work is close by, my boss lets me work 10 to 2;30 so i can drop off and pick up my daughter from school. i worked at a daycare for 18 yrs and it shut down and that was the closest one to me. i really feel like i cant quit my job. there are however lots of salad and and other stuff ready and available for cm meals there. i jus chose to eat my carbs for the wrong meal. i just have to work harder at it. there is eggsalad and home made turkey, lunchmeat and cheeses already sliced, i just have to put stuff together and make the right choices. like you said if i really want to do this i will.
  #57   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 20:34

BF:

Oh, well, I understand that situation. Life sure is tough sometimes. If you're working around food, at least it's in a deli with all the meat and cheese. Remember, pasta doesn't even TASTE like anything.
  #58   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 20:38

BF:

true, very true. i will talk to you tomorrow and thanks. have a great night. i am getting hungry and it is way to late to eat. so i will call it a night.
  #59   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 20:40

BF:

Okay. G'night. Remember that we are here for you.
  #60   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 20:57
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Hi, Willbthin!

A concerned friend brought me in on your thread even though I no longer follow CAD. It is a great plan if you trust it to work and follow the guidelines.

I reading your posts, I can FEEL your pain and self-doubt. You seem to WANT to, but "want to" alone can't so the job.

It feels like just when you get yourself talked into it, you talk yourself out of it again when you hit a bad situation. It's my obligation as "Our Lady of Dr Phil" to suggest that you get your hands on a copy of "The Ultimate Weight Solution" by Dr Phil McGraw. (I should get a commission!)

He deals very effectively with this "negative self-talk" and has really helped me see past the ways I set myself up to fail and talk myself into believing that I can't do this.

Here's a link to the description of his "7 Keys" and related info. Please at least read it and see if you don't see yourself in some of it. There is a way out, and it IS possible for you to succeed. You have to convince yourself first!
http://www.drphil.com/weightloss/we...subsection=Tips