Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Everywhere
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Mar-16-06, 11:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158/143/127 Female 162 cm
BF:
Progress: 48%

Shalom Linda!
Welcome and I'll be very happy to know you! I'm just now in a period where I need support because I'm stalled. But I've done very well since Shavu'ot and I think after to get used to it, it's very easy to do low carb diet in Israel, especially if you don't speak about it around.
The good news is that you can find today splenda in every grocery store around. There are two brands of it: Sucra Diet and Sucar Light. They come in packets in a box and I saw also once the sucra diet in liquid and powder form. Stevia you can find in every Health Store.
I'll be glad to be in touch with you and to answer as well as I can to all your questions.
Are you close to Haifa or to Kiryat-Gat? I live in Ramat-Gan.
Yael
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Mar-17-06, 03:54

Stats: 277/260/220 Female 171 cm
BF:
Progress: 30%

Wow, I'd forgotten all about this thread! It's been inactive for so long!

Welcome, Linda! Great to 'see' you!

I have LC-ed now for over a year, but am in a stall since about june '05.

However, I have NOT gained any weight back which I find is very positive!

With any other way of eating (diet) that I've tried I always gained back whatever little weight I'd lost, and then some!

I also occasionally use Sucrazit dietetit and there's Patit shisha deganim which has 4.2 carbs and is nice with butter and yellow cheese!

I don't think LC is hard to do as long as you don't get a lot of opposition from health care professionals that you have to rely on.

Anyway, lots of good luck in your LC-journey!

Shabat shalom!
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Mar-17-06, 04:00

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 145/145/130 Female 167 cm
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for writing. I live in the south, near Netivot. I did the South Beach about 1 year ago and did well. I kept myself between phase 2-3 for 9 months, mostly phase 2, though. I fight to keep it down, but I lost the battle and gained 6 kilos - that's why I decided to do phase 1 again for 2-3 weeks. I don't know if it's OK- but I eat humous. Also I use rich's whipped cream. The kind that comes in the can. what do you think? Linda
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Mar-18-06, 03:38

BF:

You're welcome!

I live up North, near Kash, and I'm on Atkins. Lost 13 kilos last year and have been in a stall from about June '05.

However, I haven't gained any weight back, which is all to the good, of course!

I don't eat humous (though I have it in the house as my sons like it), but I use whipping cream (unwhipped) of 'White Chef' 38% for my (Dutch type filter) coffee!

That's very good! I tried different things (soy milk, etc) but this is the best!

I know, I know, Atkins advises against coffee, but I'm Dutch. We live on coffee, so what are you gonna do!
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Mar-18-06, 04:17

BF:

Sorry, double post!
  #36   ^
Old Sun, Aug-20-06, 05:27

Stats: 149.6/143/130 Female 170cm
BF:Stats not updated
Progress: 34%

Hello Everybody!
Glad to have found you - I live in Beer-Sheva I didn't expect anyone else out there! As for l/c foods here, with the low fat craze, things will get worse before they get better. Have you notice the "Hultzut beten" (belly shirts) have gotten longer and now reach the top of the jeans? The girls are getting chubby, Gods' answer to Haradi prayer :-) I found l/c Cake and Cookies in the health food store "Beer-Teva" made by "Soya delight" call 04-6224695 its made in Emek Hefer. It costs about 25 Shkallim but it is worth it. I buy Feldman diet ice cream - not the box only the ones on the stick. On Sabbat I have a roll of Davidovich "Rayhayim kal". It has 29.8 carbs 12.6 fiber for 100 grams each roll is 75 gr so do the math and smile. But only on Shabbat. I have made a change in my life and I am not looking for an imitation of my old way of eating. I now eat lots of eggs, fish, meat, cheese and veggies. When I go out I go to a "Shipudiya" and skip the pita. I have been following Atkins Zt"l (zicron tzadik li'bracha) for a year and a half lost 10 Kg in the first 3 months and have been hovering around my goal of 60 Kg ever since. Don't look back Mrs Lot!
Marnina
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Aug-20-06, 14:03
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Marnina
Welcome! Welcome!
How are you? I'm in Ramat-Gan, doing my LC as much as I can, adding to it gym. I would love to be a friend to you and to exchange tips about lc in Israel (it's easy until you say the word At...).
Yael
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Aug-21-06, 04:28

BF:

Hi, guys! And Marnina, welcome to the boards!

I must confess I lost it a bit on LC during the war, rockets flying all around me here up in the "Etsbah haGalil", one actually slammed in at some 30-40 meters from my house.

It's been eerily quiet now for a full week and I am trying to be a good LC-girl again now!

Good luck, everyone!
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Aug-24-06, 00:45
Registered Member

BF:

We all had for sure a challenging summer. Could we reunite in a blue -white challenge and be back on track?! (before ha'hagim...)
I'd dream to have a local daily meeting on this board . One of my problems, right now, is that I cannot stand the thought of a tuna can with a cucumber and some lettuce leaves for lunch and I cannot think of something else to bring to work that doesn't need fridge. I know of hard boiled eggs, but I have 2 for breakfast at home, and whatever is A's opinion about eggs quantity, I think 2 a day are enough.
Yael
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Aug-24-06, 03:20

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 145/145/130 Female 167 cm
BF:
Progress:
Default Tip of the Week

It's been too long and I am guilty of procrastination. I'm getting ready for my daughter's wedding (Sept 4th) and BEHAVING! Really have been good; walking everyday and staying away from the white flour, high fats and sugars. I have managed after months of this to loose NO WEIGHT . The only positive thing I can say is that I gained no weight either. I guess I'm still battling one of menopause's many gifts- enforced weight gain. I have one tip for everyone: Energy bar- there are 2 kinds (at least in the supermarkets in this part of the country). apricot & nut. They are no- sugar added. There are 52 calories, 7 carbs and low fat per bar (22 gram bars). Good luck to all. Take care; Linda
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Aug-24-06, 05:11

Hi!
Thank you for welcoming me!
I would love to be a buddy - my doar electrony is marnina shtrudel netvision net il.
I have the same problem of food to take to work. I work outside and work shifts. In the morning shift I get a meal, but the afternoon and night shift I have to bring my food with me or buy food. Since I am now on a tight budget - now that we all have to get out of our "minus" - I stopped buying food at the "shipudiot". In the winter I was taking to work fennel (shumar), yellow cheese and hard boiled egg. But in the summer it does'nt keep. Last summer, following advice from the net on nuts (well they w e r e talking about macadimia nuts - which are very expencive and impossible to find) I tried sunflower seads but I started gaining. This year, boring as it may be, I stick to a small can of toov taam or yona tuna spread or salman spead. I keep my other meals interesting. Mah La'asot?

Anybody know how many carbs in Dalorit? I put it in a "cooking bag" Sakiot li'tziliya and in the oven for 40 min. I do that with fish, meat and other veggies - the oven stays clean, the pot stays clean, its already in a bag for the fridge and you can reheat in the microwave which also stays clean, and it comes out soft with lots of flavor. I even put eggplant in these bags and mash them with the skin. Quick, easy. l/c and good - the way I like it.
I am glad everything is calm up north. Here in Beer-Sheva the city filled up with guests and we constently heard the airforce over head. In times of trouble your body needs good healthy L/C food, and keeping to the nutrition of choice should give you a sence of continuity and pride that even in a crisis you stuck to your goals.
I wanted to share a problem I was having that I hoped I have solved. During the last 4 months I started gaining again. I didn't cheat or put anything not l/c in my mouth. I couln't figure out why I was gaining! I started to write down everthing I eat and noticed something amayzing! I was hooked on cottege cheese! even though it is l/c only 3 for a 9% tub I was avoiding meat in order to stay milchik (halavi)! I was robing myself of variety and of enough protien and fat. I would eat it for breakfast, as a snack and at night. then I would get hungry and binge on ... saled (!!). Yes I would have a 4 cucumber 4 tomato 1 onion, salt, lemon juice and olive oil Israeli salad and didn't think anything was wrong! The past two weeks I started to eat a variety including meat (O.K. so I'm Flashic, Bisary, so nu?) and I don't count on cottage cheese as a snack. Now that I am eating right I dont need a snack. I have lost all that I have been gaining and have once again reached my goal weight of 59 kg! Applause here. A post like this could only be posted here - who else would understand the challenges of l/c and kosher? Now if we could only do this in hebrew...
Enough Bilbul Moach
Keep with it.
Marnina
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Aug-25-06, 03:40

BF:

Okay, so I don't do kosher, which makes it a bit easier to keep to LC as I have more choices I think.

I've been on Atkins for over a year and a half, in the first 3-4 months I lost 13 kgs and from June 2005 I'm in a stall, didn't lose, didn't gain.

LC had become a way of life for me now, my DH does the cooking and when necessary he makes something special for me.

I did notice that lately I started to nibble a little of the food of the rest of the family, but nothing major.

Then the war hit! Believe me when you have the feeling that your life (and those of your loved ones) can be extinguished at any moment, LC isn't exactly what's on your mind.

So, I gained about 2-3kgs and though I try to get back on track, I'm not completely weened of the carbs yet.

Oh well, them's the breaks.

Good going Marnina, with finding out your problem and then solving it!

Shabat Shalom!
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Aug-25-06, 08:56

I found it very helpful to write down everything I eat when I am trying to find out what I did wrong. I don't like counting and it is very hard to figure out exactly what your serving size is. I estimate that if I try to make sure that most of my carbs are from veggies, and that the veggies themselves are low carb I should be o.k. The most important thing that I have learned is that you cannot be l/c Bearech (slightly, almost) either you are or your not. Either you are in ketosis or you are not. It is always a matter of your choice. You choose with every bite. I am sorry that the war got you away from your goal. Trauma is a "normal" part of life here! You have to learn to expect it and how to include it in your life. You must not let it get in the way of any of your long term goals - if you do than terror wins!

Last edited by sondacop : Fri, Aug-25-06 at 08:58. Reason: spelling
  #44   ^
Old Fri, Aug-25-06, 13:11
Registered Member

BF:

wow!! kama pe'ilut pit'om baforum!
and every word is so right!
hi Linda, welcome back! Mazal tov for your daughter's wedding! I'm very proud and happy for you that you kept your goal.
There are so many things that I would like to say and the words (especially in English ) are missing.
Let's organize a meeting!!! A local meeting. I propose Sept 19 or October 10. It's a Tuesday, before or after ha'hagim. We could meet at Azrielyrail station and have a full day of fun, day off from work, family and carbs. I live not too far from the train so we can make a party where each will bring her favorite lc dish. I realize I sound totally insane and I even do it in bad English. But I swear, I'm not on anything! Just feel very strongly the need for a day off, with different people, new friends and shared interests. And of course welcome to every tourist from the world that will care to join us!
  #45   ^
Old Sat, Aug-26-06, 03:29

BF:

Marnina wrote:
Quote:
I am sorry that the war got you away from your goal. Trauma is a "normal" part of life here! You have to learn to expect it and how to include it in your life. You must not let it get in the way of any of your long term goals - if you do than terror wins!

Like I said LC is a way of life for me now, no longer a 'goal' as such. I got on with my life and have other goals now which I kept to rather well during the war.

As I have lived here already for 33 years I'm very well aware of the fact that trauma is a part of life here, but as long as it doesn't affect you personally it's not zo hard to 'include' it and stay focussed.

You're in Beersheva and though I'm sure you were concerned, I'm also convinced you do not really have an idea what those of us who stuck it out up North, really went through. Never mind. But believe me, terror didn't 'win' because I had some waffles at tense moments!

Yael, IMO your English is pretty good, so no worries about that. And you sound quite sane to me as well.

Your idea of a get-together is a nice one, but I won't be attending as I'm not a good traveler. I hope you'll have a lovely, reinforcing day when you do get some LC-ers together.

Also, I've no idea where Azrielyrail station is supposed to be, but I guess Tel Aviv!

Good luck with all your endeavors.