Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-02, 14:53
Registered Member

Plan: Life without bread
Stats: 200/175/170
BF:
Progress: 83%
Default Rules of this diet

I have good idea of what this idea entails and what attracts me most about is its simplisity in that there isnt much carb counting. Is it true you dont have to count carbs?

Anyone have experience with this diet and know how best to eat when on it?

I was thinking of eating limited fruit but as much veg and nuts as i wanted and at the same time only eating lean meat and fish rich in omega 3 fatty acids (probaly fried in olive oil and spices..).

Thanks for any help....
Andy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-02, 15:19
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

No, but I read the book and wrote a synopsis of it. It's under
'Which low-carb plan is right for me?' - in the quick links on the right hand side of the page.

Have a look at Andy Davies journal called 'Another Way of Doing It'. He follows a fairly paleo plan.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-02, 18:40

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

Yes, it's true that paleo people don't count carbs. Yours sounds like a good plan. One smart strategy is to only eat local in-season fruit, too, the way that paleolithic people would have. This also limits your carbs to being higher only at the time when you are likely more physically active and can handle them better.

Pay attention to all your foods and how they make you feel. Nuts make many people crave more and more nuts, and eventually crave worse carbs...though for me, with the exception of cashews (not really paleo anyway because they don't meet either the "sharp stick" or "raw" requirement), they don't do this. And a number of people can add butter (but not other dairy) to their paleo foods and be fine with that, too. Some people have egg allergies or allergies to tomatoes or seafood...I believe among paleo foods, those are most likely to cause problems.
HTH
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-02, 09:32

Plan: Predominantly Atkins
Stats: 320/260/145
BF:
Progress: 34%

The only problem with eating fruit in season 'round here is that there is very little fruit grown here at all. I do mainly stick with berries in limited amounts, though, rather than higher carb fruit.

I'm looking into doing this particular plan - cheese stalls me, and I"m not big on dairy anyway. I like nuts, and they don't seem to trigger cravings - I avoid cashews.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-02, 13:32

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 269/176/165 Male 68"
BF:55+%/23%/15%
Progress: 89%
Thumbs up

I certainly wouldn't eat nuts in great quantities as long as you're trying to lose weight. For maintenance, they are great. I eat about a handful a day, right now and I've lost almost thirty pounds in four months. Lots of leafy greens and a moderate amount of fruit. Up here, in Oregon, apples are still in season, so that's what I eat...but only about two a day. I just made a great casserole using eggs and a ton of different veggies. Wow! Even my friends, who think I'm a Neandernut, thought it was awsom.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-02, 18:00

Plan: My own (based on a compil
Stats: 333/260/224 Male 73 ins
BF:
Progress: 67%

Hi ShandyAndy,

I have only just come across this thread.

If you are still seeking some guidance about what to eat on this type of diet, I will chip in with a few ideas...but you haven't been back here since your first post...

Andy
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-02, 12:54
Registered Member

Plan: Life without bread
Stats: 200/175/170
BF:
Progress: 83%

yeah, that would be appreciated thanks....
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-02, 20:07

Plan: My own (based on a compil
Stats: 333/260/224 Male 73 ins
BF:
Progress: 67%

I'm not sure if you are a penniless student, starving in a garret or not (I read that you were on a course you did not like) so I'm not sure how practical this will be for you in terms of buying, storing and cooking it, but if you can manage it, I recommend this combination:

Breakfast: Bacon & eggs

Lunch: Either Braised Steak, or Lamb or any other red meat with as much of the animal's natural fat as you can buy (plus salad). Or you could use chicken, making sure to eat the skin and just beneath it.

Tea: Either white fish, or tuna, cooked, then covered with melted cheese and sprinkled with black pepper (plus small amount of veg)

Supper: Any cold meat from the fridge, cut into slices, topped with mayonnaise (plus lettuce if required, plus small tomato)

And drink as much water as you can stand.

If you get hungry between meals, try eating a piece of cheese with a piece of butter on it.

There is no restriction on quantities of anything except veg (because of carbs).

This may not conform to any of the published official diet plans, but it is fairly well in line with Paleo and Neanderthin diets, and it works for me!

Andy