Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Everywhere
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 11:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 121/121/99 Female 151
BF:
Progress:

food, glorious food....

yum....

Been to the Gengis Khan. I dint really like it becos the quality is not that good.

I like the triple 3 at Mandarin Hotel. Expensive but quality very good.

recently just went for 2 quite good value fro money buffets - one at Riverside Hotel ($33+) and one at tanjong pagar area ($14++ if 4 pple gp ) Both are japanese styled restaurant.

The one at Riverside Hotel is quite good esp. it includes teppanyaki ( go king prawns, yum ), tempura ( of course ), yummy sashimi ( only fatty tuna and salmon), chawanmushi...etc Quite good esp. the sashimi.
But I prefer the one at Shima Restaurant at Goodwood Park hotel...very very ex $55++ but the thin beef slices which u barbecue yrself is good and u get to eat all u want. Thats my personal fav....beef....yum

The cheap one at tanjong pagar is quite ok for that budget. U however dont get the sashimi in the buffet ( but u can order alacarte). But u get other stuff like tempura, california roll, chanwamushi, fried beef slices with teriyaki sauce etc. quite value for money and quite nice....

YUM......

Heh heh, next month me going Japan for holiday!!! ) So that will be a plenty of delicious food for me!!! ( but guess i have to put Atkin aside for a while..... hee hee )
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 09:27
Registered Member

Plan: atkin
Stats: 61/59/49
BF:
Progress: 17%
Cool

wah... buffet... its has been long time since i went for international style buffet.. that time Ritz Carlton got this promotion where they serve int'l buffet at $25.40 aft taxes... dinner somemore.. but the promotion ends liaoz.. its wonderful man...

I heard from lots of my frn that genghis Khan is nice lah.. never try before coz i think its abit high for my budget...

End of sep is fine with me.. want to decide on a date now or later??
  #153   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 02:25

Plan: atkins
Stats: 136/136/110 Female 165
BF:
Progress:

fumih .. the "bad breathe indicator" really that horrible huh?

ok im on my 4th day of induction... really getting a headache over planning wat to eat each meal.. and its a real strain on my financial re$ources!

i went to GNC the other day n they said they dont carry atkins advantage anymore.. so i tried myoplex, horribly expensive for one pathetic lowcarb bar! 'cookies n cream' flavor.. doesnt taste fantastic .. wonder if the "2gm net carbs" claim is true ..

i would like to ask , is soya milk allowed on induction? couldnt find anything abt it in the book.. anyway its quite low carb =)

went to the NTUC n found out coconut milk has very low carb (1g/100ml)
.. and agaragar has very high dietary fibre so the 'net carbs' are less than 0 !

anyone know anything abt seaweed? no mention of seaweed in atkins book either

=) cheers
  #154   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 05:05

Plan: Atkins,PP
Stats: 202/147/120
BF:
Progress: 67%

seaweed is a very good low-carb food....i used to eat that for some time...but later on grew tired of it.

soya milk is not that bad if unsweetened...i always allow some milk into my low-carb diet.

yeah agree that low-carb is restrictive and financially depriving...hahahahah then i will rather eat fruits....you can take siew mai, vege salads, western food (Hans?)...if you want to eat economic rice, just tell the uncle u only want 1/2 bowl of rice. because i feel that they charge more when u dun wan rice at all. nobody ask u to touch the rice anyway...just half bowl....at the most maybe have 2 tablespoons of it.

eeee i will never touch those protein bars anymore. they really very pai jia (taste weird)! usually i will buy thermogenics from GNC....I am abt to finish my Zantrex 7 pills....maybe i will go back to Xenadrine.

anyway if u not sure abt carb count in foods, go get a carb counter book. i bought mine fr kino last time. less than $20.
  #155   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 22:46

BF:
Progress:

yeap i shall add more seaweed n soy into my induction phase..
getting tired of chicken n more chicken .. running out of ideas wat to do with chicken ... haha

i bought myoplex low-carb bar to satisfy my sweet tooth.. im considering buying some atkins products from netrition.com

also, im having a hard time finding suitable sweeteners, only can find apastarme in most supermkts but atkins does not recommend.

any suggestions? and erm any idea where to get "carb-friendly" products? maybe health food stores or organic food stores?

thanks thanks =)
  #156   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 02:05
Registered Member

Plan: atkin
Stats: 61/59/49
BF:
Progress: 17%

bunni.... you are buying from online?? What are the shpping charges like?? Had wanted to buy online too but think its abit ex if i were to take into consideration the shipping charges and not to say the conversion rates... haiz... GNC lorz.... as far as i know..
  #157   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 11:21

BF:
Progress:

rina...

i've changed my mind abt buying from netrition! the shipping charges are exhorbitant! but they have got a HUGE range of products ..pity the sky-high shipping.... haiz ..

the cheapest i found so far is bodybuilding.com i think .. ard 10USD shipping for a box of atkins advantage bars(~25USD) .. but the product range is very limited .. but if i work it out .. stil cheaper than buying myoplex/xenadrine low carb bars from GNC ... =)

i might seriously consider ...
  #158   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 07:51

BF:

i used to think i shld turn to low-carb bars and aspartame....

btw, personally i dun like those protein whey bars....they taste quite weird to me.

of all things low carb, i am still sticking long n long to the occasional lemon coke light, zantrex 7 (going to revert back to xenadrine), meats, butter, cheese... but of course i admit that i still take some carbs like bee hoon, potatoes, corn starch, sweetened drinks and recently a little bit of yucky mooncake.. moderately.

actually it isnt a bad sign to get tired of eating chicken. dont you think your appetite becomes quite small whenever u think of chicken anytime? haha a good way to suppress appetite.

anyway time to review genghis khan....i went there for dinner yday and so happened today is teacher's day. even my taxi driver forgot abt the holiday because we wondered why we were caught in the jam.

out of 10, i give in general (place, food, svc) 6.5/10.

when i stepped in, there was this strong sea aroma (yaya i know they serve seafood) in the restaurant...felt weird. actually svc not much lah...a lot of self svc except when they clear ur plates. but the place seems to be like a war torn area where everyone so kiasu snatching for food...imagine those kind of food rationing scenes...woahh in no time.. less than 5 minutes the jap chef has to dish out new plates of salmon sashimi.... this is esp esp popular among the other 3 sashimi (got tuna)... hahaha the restaurant must have purposely given us a small tong that so we cant hold much fish slices at one go...think much faster if i use my hands.

it's quite bustling, you'll find urself eating in a stressful environment. other than pple peeping from the window panes, you will have to jostle with those quickie aunties and uncles along the cram displays...but as the crowd ate their fill.. you see lesser people going for the dishes...my mom thought the restaurant was going to call it a day early becoz they stopped dishing out salmon sashimi after some time. but this was due to lessening of crowds...scared not fresh ah.

variety of dishes - frankly speaking i was only interested in a few foods..salmon sashimi, grilled unagi (best!), tempura/ebi prawn....i didnt touch some seafoods such as mussels, crayfish, crabs, scallops, prawns, lobster (no chance becoz no one refilled the empty tray..haha)..i tried some cooked dishes...in fact they didnt taste that appetising...i went back to my salmon sashimi. they have abalone but heard feedback that it tasted vegetarian and super sweet. ????

oh manz you'll never try beef worse than this place........it doesnt taste like beef . and usually i dun get defeated by mutton, this time i kena. the smell of it was quite strong ...though nice...i got a bit erggh! after some bites. i think i was quite disappointed with the grilled meats section.

my dad also said the roast duck meat isnt nice... my mom likes the sharkfins soup though...but she tot it could have been laden with more MSGs....my bro tried chawanmushi.......none of us touched the sushi corner. why eat more rice when u can have just the fish alone? hahaha

drinks not bad lah, got a few choices to choose from. but definitely not lowcarb (softdrinks, iced tea, lemonade, peach tea, apple juice, orange juice). cakes quite sucky.....for the first time i actually didnt want to chew the cake anymore and spit it out. i didnt try the jelly, puddings, fruits. does anyone remember the green popsicle ice-cream taste? i cant believe that it actually existed as in a tub...no wonder it was soo soft when i scooped a green ball out...i tot it was mint. argh i still prefer it on the popsicle.

i'll post again when i remember more stuffs from this restaurant.

but in all, judging from how stressful the place is, and that i only love salmon sashimi...plus this rest's foods are not that good at all.....and not cheap ($44 per person with taxes!!). i'll go back to plaza hotel...i only pay abt $30 with taxes...more peaceful environment, not much kiasuism and no peeping fr window panes, higher food quality, and i can have all the salmon i want. hahaha

Last edited by Fumih_81 : Mon, Sep-01-03 at 07:53.
  #159   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 11:51

BF:
Progress:

wats zantrex7 ?

oh i need those erm low carb bars for convenience sake n of coz to satisfy my sweet tooth cravings ... like when im out n my tummy starts to rumble ... i need low carb snacks, its not very practical to carry ard a chunk of cheese hmmm..

yeah fumih the mooncake hurdle is abit hard to cross haha .. arghh i admit i faltered .. *guilty*
=P
  #160   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 07:18
Registered Member

Stats: 228/209/180 Male 184cm
BF:
Progress: 40%
Talking Hi All

Hi All, me sing ga pore lang also.
  #161   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 08:35

Stats: 143/138/110
BF:
Progress: 15%

Hi all, I chanced upon diabetic chocolates in Leonida.. u noe, the gourmet chocolate shop along city link mall near the suntec city exit.

They are made with sorbitol and maltitol or so they claim, not fructose. I recall reading somewhere those are approved sugar alcohols or smthing.. but hell i threw caution to the winds and bought 100 g.

I tell u they are soooooooo good. Like REALLY good. Tastes exactly like real gourmet chocolate.. guess it'll be fine if u r past induction.. there's one with rum in it.. ahem.. am i tempting u yet??

It's $11.20 per 100 grams. Worth every darn cent!
  #162   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 08:04

BF:

fairday, i am aware that even sorbitol and maltitol are also under the same 'category' as fructose...so long best to avoid etc.

But i think it is ok to indulge once a while. so enjoy it!

last time when my office cubicle was raided with ants, the only candy they did not conquer was "Fisherman's Friend". haha
  #163   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 22:23

Plan: Atkins & Suzanne Somers
Stats: 116/108/98 Female 158cm
BF:
Progress:
Wink Hi

Hi everybody,

I chanced this forum by chance. Boy am I glad to discover LC eaters in S'pore. Abd all alone I thought I am the odd one out here.

I have doing LC eating for almost two years and must admit this is the lifestyle I'll be adopting. Agree with u all it's hard to LC here cos foodstuff such as cheese are $$$$.

Just to check with u all do u use fresh cream in your coffee as it's high protein food.

I'm into Sommersizing and Atikin's plan. In the former quite similar to Atkin just that need to practice food combination.

Lastly can LC get rid of cellulite thighs???

Good to discover similar LC eaters
  #164   ^
Old Sat, Nov-08-03, 08:45

BF:

nopeee LC cannot remove cellulite...heh do u realise u kena a lot more stretchmarks to clear due to weight loss?

u can try cellulite creams such as Biotherm's Celluli zone S$62 per tube (my friend uses it), or Fancl new pdt...that costs on S$28 ...

another slower way is exercise.....it helps also...

now i taking belly dancing classes...and i do see some results on my belly after a few mths....i must return to gym as well....been avoiding it coz i had to take my driving test...

libra77, do u take any thermogenics or carb blocker? btw, is ur bdae within the libra period?? hehe coz i am also a libra

actually i started LCing 6 years back...but on/off ...

but good to know we have made smart choices to LC!
  #165   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 20:01

Plan: Atkins & Suzanne Somers
Stats: 116/108/98 Female 158cm
BF:
Progress:
Wink

Yeah my birthday is in oct so technically that mades me a libra. Yeah realise that i have alot of stretch marks especially in the thigh area. Thanks for your advice on the cellulite cream. So have u tried the Fancl's seems the price is reasonable.

At the moment did not try any pills or carbohydrate blockers. In the past did try hydroxycut however stopped. Realise my heart beat faster. Thinking of taking Extrim as I will be going for holiday to Australia in Dec. Any suggestions on that.

Good you're exercising this will acclerate weight loss and tone your body. I'm in the educator line hardly have time or even the energy to work out. If so it will be during the holidays. Think LC eating only maintain the weight.

Btw did u use cream in your food?? And what type of LC food did u normally eat & the places u buy from.