Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-01-17, 16:41
Registered Member

Plan: keto
Stats: 232.6/232.6/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Unhappy Gallstones

Hi

I been on this site for a while and did pretty well losing weight. Now in early 40s have been diagnosed with gallstones which the doctor says created by a high fat diet. I just want people to use caution and do run this by a doctor first.

I am now looking at surgery (gallbladder removal) some time this month.....for weight loss, I am now suffering for it with surgery.

This WOL is no longer mine, but now have to eat very bland ordinary foods which are tasteless because the other foods will make my gallbladder inflamed. ...I truly wish now I had not chosen this WOE...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-01-17, 16:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewbody
Hi

I been on this site for a while and did pretty well losing weight. Now in early 40s have been diagnosed with gallstones which the doctor says created by a high fat diet. I just want people to use caution and do run this by a doctor first.

I am now looking at surgery (gallbladder removal) some time this month.....for weight loss, I am now suffering for it with surgery.

This WOL is no longer mine, but now have to eat very bland ordinary foods which are tasteless because the other foods will make my gallbladder inflamed. ...I truly wish now I had not chosen this WOE...

Gallstones can be caused by many things.. If I eat high carb I have attacks. I have never had an attack on Atkins. My family who all eat low fat all had theirs out.
There is no need to caution people, There are many people who have gallbladder trouble on low fat diets.
It is just Dr Speak. I would research and maybe get a second opinion.
I am sorry you are suffering though. I know it can be awful.

Last edited by Baylor1 : Wed, Feb-01-17 at 17:12.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-01-17, 17:09

Plan: Keto/Carnivore/Fasting
Stats: 190/143/144 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 102%

Gall stones are typically cause by LOW FAT eating and not high fat. If you eat prolonged low fat your gallbladder doesn't get used properly and then stones get formed. Then when you eat a high fat meal the stones can get stuck. That's when you get an attack. Well wishes with your surgery.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-17, 07:21
Registered Member

BF:

Okay. Thank you for the information
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-17, 08:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:

I know gallbladder pain is the worst!!! My uncle was just rushed to the hospital to have his out as an emergency because it was so bad. You may need to have yours out now, but that does not mean you have to eat low fat and high carb.

Just make sure you understand it all fully.

I am sorry for all you are going through.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-17, 12:52

Plan: Keto/Carnivore/Fasting
Stats: 190/143/144 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 102%

Anewbody,

Is surgery scheduled for gallbladder removal? When I had mine removed I had not yet discovered low carb and was eating high carb, low fat. High carb eating usually means high triglycerides, which is one cause of stones. So is being overweight.

Right now while waiting for surgery you will need to eat low fat, doesn't mean you have to give up low carb though. Try eating chicken breast, eggs, broth and vegetables. After surgery you can increase the fats. I am low carb now, but I eat moderate protein and fat, not high. I am now also eating a lot of vegetables. I don't do a lot of saturated fats. I stay away from coconut oil and bacon fat. Of course I stay away from sugar, starches and grains, which is what puts the weight on.

Let us know how you're doing through this. My surgery was easy and recovery a breeze. Hopefully yours will go smoothly too.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-17, 13:41

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

This an excellent article about low carb and gallbladder issues:

How to enjoy bacon without a gallbladder

Gallbladders are being re-assessed as a "not useless" organ; they used to clean them out, not take them out.

Best of luck with this health issue!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-17, 20:21
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you