Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 09:11

Plan: A4L
Stats: 147/138/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 75%

I read the article in Woman's World. I was wondering about carb blockers too. thanks for sharing your expereince.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 09:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/112/107 Female 5'3"
BF:?
Progress: 90%

I'm not sure exactly how many carbs a carb blocker blocks but isn't ice cream (sugar free or not) AND pasta a little much? Maybe the carb blocker just can't keep up with that many carbs.

Just a thought.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 09:45

Plan: Atkins (modified - no red meat)
Stats: 324/244/150 Female 5'6
BF:46.6%?/42/20%
Progress: 46%

I hate to dampen anyone's hope, but I work in a pharmacy and we get tons of people asking about these on a daily basis. Our pharmacists all give a rousing thumbs down to them. According to our lead pharmacist, they DO NOT work and are just a waste of money. Any affect they have is just a placebo or a coincidence.

Furthermore, they are considered a dietary supplement, which means that claims they make have not been evaluated or substantiated by the Food & Drug Administration (FDA).

Caveat Emptor
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 15:49

Stats: 226.5/193.0/185 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 81%

Well Yank, I don't know. Considering I ate very little all day and spent six hours walking, I would think that little bit of ice cream and half cup of pasta would not have much effect with or without blockers. So I conclude at this point they do not block anything, but my experiment continues. Every day I take one before I eat while keeping the carb intake low, we will see if there is improvement at the end of the week.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 07:21

Wow six hours walking? That's a heck of a cardio workout. I can do about 45 min. of a cardio workout (walking/running) and I'm about shot.

One more note....don't forget your water. When you exercise that much you have to be careful you don't dehydrate, especially if it's hot outside.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 15:22

BF:

I did dehydrate there Yank, no doubt. But I was not in the cardio workout mode either, just strolling from place to place. There is a possibility my body weight increase was related to water retention due to some wine tasting and limited water. That is why the experiment will continue a couple of weeks, just to give it an honest appraisal.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 16:39

Well good luck with your experimenting. I'm anxious to hear the final results. I presume you're referring to the NY State Fair in Syracuse. I used to live about 30 miles east of Binghamton NY prior to moving to NC. Went to the fair a couple of times. I hope you aren't experiencing the extreme heat there like we are here. It would be brutal to walk around the fair if the heat index was 105 there - like it is here today!
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 20:05

BF:

No Yank, no extreme heat. It has been a warm streak lately and a bit dry but not 105. I love the faire, go a couple time a year if I can and will be going again late Friday hopefully. I am only about an hour's drive from there so it is no big deal to travel.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 19:10

BF:
Thumbs down Update

MORE CARB BLOCKER NEWS!

I have now tried three brands of carb blocker/carb cutter of various strengths. In my opinion, they have absolutely no effect upon the result of cheating. I waited to recover from my day at the faire, reduced to 201, checked with keto stix and then took the second brand prior to some pasta. The result was to be blown out of ketosis and a gain of 2.5 pounds. I am still not back in ketosis after continuing to use them on a restricted diet for two days.

I will continue the experimentation once I start to lose again, but have to lay off for a time to achieve some real results. I was doing better having a few cocktails without the pills and sticking to fewer carbs.

Stay tuned
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 04:42

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 175/154/135 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Wow BayRat, you did some serious research. So I guess the result is... don't bother... huh? I see those things everywhere, interestingly, right at the check out counter at my LC/Health Food/Vitamin Store. By the way if anyone lives in Western Mass, check out Choice Health, they have everything.

Thanks for all the info BayRat!

Last edited by Fiona mcK : Thu, Sep-04-03 at 04:43.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 18:45

BF:

Weeeellll, the final vote is not in, but it does not look good at this point.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-03, 09:27

Plan: atkins
Stats: 225/188/185 Male 6 feet
BF:28%/12%/5%
Progress: 93%

this has probably already been said, but be careful with carb blockers they give you terrible cramps and stomach pains when trying to exercise. I dietrician told me to only take these when you know your going to eat a moderately high carb food.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-03, 14:21

BF:

I have not experienced that problem, however it was on one or two of the brands I tried.
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 06:40

BF:

Stopped using blockers, they are worthless. I have begun losing weight again without them so it seems my stall is over.
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 14:18

Stats: 217/186/167 Male 5'8"
BF:??
Progress: 62%

I've been using them on my cheat days...But I only use Source Naturals Wafers , I think they get there faster and are more likely to work..