Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-09-02, 21:17
empress of fashion

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default ckd isn't working!

And I think I know why...I've been going hogwild on the weekends (this is Iowa, we have to say hogwild) and not watching my fat intake. So as from watching THAT I will add a 30 minute cardio on Sunday morning (I'm thinking I should have been doing this all along - my bad). I am also considering one of two things. Either a 24 hour carb load or a split carb load. Questions - if I do a 24 hour carb up, say Friday only then what do I do on Saturday? Back to low carb and cardio to bring on ketosis? Or do I wait until Sunday to exercise? If I do a split carb up, say Wednesday/Sunday how does this look in terms of exercise?

Awaiting words of wisdom from your fount o' knowledge.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-09-02, 21:43

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

What do you mean by 'not working'? Are you only counting weight? Or are you tracking measurements and bodyfat%, too? Are you working out? Did you print out your paramaters and aside from the hogwild bit, are you following them?

Give us some more to go on, eh?

Cheers,

Fri
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 06:26
empress of fashion

BF:

Not working means gaining weight and I don't mean the muscle kind! I started following the parameters but that didn't seem to be very productive, either. I am working out (generally upper body Monday, lower on Tuesday, cardio Wed-Thursday, total body on Friday - sometimes a weighted walk or bike ride in the evenings).
My only way to measure body fat is the new scale I bought but according to what I've read those aren't very accurate.
My plan going into this was losing fat while maintaining or gaining muscle. Using the scale and my own eyeballs I can see things aren't heading in that direction. Again, I'm sure this is due in part to my carb ups.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 06:34

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by Iowagirl
Again, I'm sure this is due in part to my carb ups.

Carb-up and Fat-ups

Try keeping the fat's down this time around and check your results next week - it may just be that you need to keep tighter reign on things.

I do a 24 hr carb up, starting Friday and ending Sat evening. I do LC on Sunday with a cardio session first thing upon waking to jump start ketosis. I got my info off the training article by Lyle posted at thinkmuscle.com

HTH
Nat
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 06:53
empress of fashion

BF:

This is the carb up I've been doing as well and I printed out all of those articles from thinkmuscle. Very informative. As I said, I hadn't been doing any exercise on Sunday but will definately start (well, not THIS Sunday - will be out of town for a wedding!). I think part of the problem is that after so long on lc I have no idea how to eat low fat. (low fat! yikes!)
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 07:26

BF:

Yep, I hear you on that. It's bizarre, but the LC part of the week is "normal eating" to me.. and the weekend is freakish / fake food. If it helps with the fat loss I can do it though...... pass the Skittles!

Nat
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 07:56

Plan: CKD
Stats: 190/190/180
BF:6
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally posted by Natrushka
Yep, I hear you on that. It's bizarre, but the LC part of the week is "normal eating" to me.. and the weekend is freakish / fake food. If it helps with the fat loss I can do it though...... pass the Skittles!

Nat

Don't tell me that I gave you a bad example or anything! Hey, if you want to have a freaky fake body, gotta eat freaky fake food!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 08:00

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by west_on_46
Don't tell me that I gave you a bad example or anything!

Not at all, Toots. But I gotta tell you, I am in serious awe of your ego

Nat
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 09:36

Quote:
Originally posted by Natrushka
Not at all, Toots. But I gotta tell you, I am in serious awe of your ego

Thanks! Although I'm still unsure whether my obsession with having a freaky fake body is a good thing...
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 10:02
empress of fashion

BF:

And herein lies some of my confusion. Amidst all the skittle talk I am thinking - I'll go ahead and bake that peach cobbler for the weekend....but I don't hear of anyone else eating that way. Have I grossly misunderstood? Am I supposed to be face down in a sugar bowl on carb up days? I would prefer those home made yummies - skittles are freak food to me.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 10:11

BF:

Can you make a low fat peach cobbler? If so, then go for it.

I've come to the realization that other than fruit (which we don't necessarily want) sugar is the primary high GI carb for me (I wont do grains), hence the skittles. What about using white bread, rice, flour etc, if you're don't have a problem with them?

Low fat used to be so easy to 'do' - I'm glad I took a full week to plan the carb up last weekend. It definitely involved adopting a different mind-set.

Nat
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 10:16
empress of fashion

BF:

Is wheat bread out? I can do rice. My previous carb ups have also consisted of low fat granola bars, yogurt, a little fruit, fig newtons, pretzels and my meals are basically vegetarian (ie. baked sweet potato and a salad - low fat dressing).
I noticed Starbuck's frappacino's are low fat. I could happily carb up on those all day but might find myself levitating from all the caffeine.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 10:18
Registered Member

Stats: 174/170.4/165
BF:Not measured
Progress: 40%

A good carb-up food needs to fit into these parameters.

-Low fat
-High Carb
-No Fructose (that means start reading labels on foods, High fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, anything else with fructose in it is BAD) (I have bowed down to the all mighty West_On_46 in this issue, although i will still eat my apple with oatmeal )
-Sugary food is good, but don't overindulge in sucrose (table sugar), don't start putting cups of sugar in your coffee. Sucrose is essentially a 1:1 mix of glucose and fructose, so 1g of sucrose will be .5glucose and .5fructose.

Seeing as today's society is so anti-fat, you can get fat free or low fat anything. I have actually seen low fat heavy cream, not too sure how that works. Cocoa Pebbles with skim milk is good, or oatmeal with jam is good. Spaghetti, skittles, sweet tarts, smarties, bread (yes bread) etc. That is my basic explanation of a carb-up. Take note that i don't mention protein, that is also important, and you can have SOME fat, just not too much.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 10:34

Adding to the confusion are the differences in candies that seem to exist. American smarties are dextrose - i.e., glucose with zero fat. Smarties everywhere else, I am being told, are a chocolate-covered something or other - don't know what kind of carbs that is but obviously not zero fat. Canadian equivalent of smarties is called Rockets, if I'm not mistaken. I've not read the label on American skittles, but from what I can tell, if it's chewy, it probably contains sucrose or high fructose corn syrup for consistency. Nat may have to educate us on what Canadian skittles are. And so on and so forth.

If you're really stuck, why don't you just use normal food for what normal food is used for (someone remind me... ) and use uberfood solely as a supplemental carb source. There are some protein powders on the market that contain dextrose or matodextrin as carbs (Cell-tech is one example but it also has creatine which can give some people mad runs). That's how I started out - using a bag of smarties as a supplement to normal food (as odd as it may seem) - but then decided "To hell with this normal food stuff".
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 10:39
empress of fashion

BF:
Default move over pancakes...

COCOA PEBBLES????? I love cocoa pebbles!
So the vegetarian theme would work, too, wouldn't it? Pasta and bread, I can deal with that. I guess it still doesn't make sense to me that I can eat that divine cereal but not table sugar? I still try to keep the processed sugar to a minimum (except when baking) - so I keep using stevia for the old coffee (but low fat hazelnut non dairy creamer yum!).

You're right - low fat is everywhere. I had gotten used to overlooking it.

Great input everybody! Keep it coming!