Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#196   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 18:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

I've been in and out of ketosis for the past month. I'm running about 46 miles a week now, averaging 9 minutes per mile. I wonder if my slowness is because of ketosis. It's time to start running longer and training for marathons. Do you distance runners and bikers start your events while in ketosis? I've read that runners need about 100 calories per mile. Does anyone load up on carbs before a race or ingest small amounts continually while racing?
Sponsored Links
  #197   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-03, 04:30

Plan: Sugarbusters
Stats: 215/155/145 Male 66"
BF:
Progress: 86%

I found that carb loading had a negative effect. My egs were sluggish on the long runs and the marathon.
I don't measure ketosis, so I have no idea. I don't plan on carb loading next long run/marathon.
  #198   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-03, 08:28

Stats: 255/190/150
BF:
Progress: 62%

I'm still experimenting. My account of bonking at 10 miles a couple of weeks ago in a zero-carb half marathon is above. The next week I felt dead and "unrecovered." On last week's long run I felt the bonk coming on and bowed out after 8 miles because I needed to have some energy left for other activities. This Friday I went out of ketosis in a fairly uncontrolled manner(pizza!) and had a pretty good 18 mile trail run on Saturday. I took in some carbs during the run and did not bonk. Felt especially strong at the end. My conclusion is that, at this point, I probably need to come out of ketosis to run more than 10 miles, but I still don't know how much carb is enough. I assume that if I can take in the minimum amount necessary I can get back to "weight loss mode" more easily after the long run. I went for a long walk Sunday, so I won't know about my recovery until after today's run which, unfortunately, will probably have to be on a t-mill.
  #199   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-03, 10:58
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the replies. My limited understanding is that some carbohydrate is needed to augment fat-burning. "Fat burns in a carbohydrate flame". I've got a gallon or so of Hammergel in my fridge. Maybe better try some on the next long run. I'm thinking about a double marathon May 25 or a 24hr run scheduled for May 31.
  #200   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-03, 13:38

BF:

I am going to experiment with taking carbs during a long run and no change in diet prior to the run. I have my nexxt long run on May 3 (15-16 miles) and a 5K race this coming weekend. I won't do anything special for the 5K.
  #201   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 09:46
Registered Member

BF:

I can't be sure because I don't have a scale but I feel like I must be at a plateau. This week I ran 50 miles. Including a horrendous hill climb and a miserable 10 miler in 45 mph wind with 15 degree wind chill. I don't eat much meat so I rely on nuts and beans. Sunday I'm planning a long run. I do a 10 mile loop in the outback. Then I restock water and do it again. Last year I was doing the loop three times once monthly. Something tells me I won't have the energy to last 20 miles.

How do you get past a plateau?
  #202   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 16:47

BF:

I cut my carbs/calories for a few days and increase activity. I don;t do it for more than a 2-3 days; but seems to work. I am also at a plateau. I'm not surprised though, since I didn't even think I'd get this low in the first place.

I have a 5K race tomorrow, so I haven't been running too much this week. I'm looking forward to getting back to higher mileage to help drop a few more pounds.
  #203   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-03, 21:43
Registered Member

BF:

Good luck in the 5K.

My planned 20 miler was shortened to 10 because of a face plant. I didn't mind that but got up with an egg-sized lump on my knee. Damn. I used Hammergel for the first time since last September. It sat like a lump in my stomach but after 10 miles I felt quite fresh. Next time I won't take so much.
  #204   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 16:35
Registered Member

BF:

In case anyone is still monitoring this thread, I posted something in the general exercise folder: 52 miles on few carbs.
  #205   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 13:53

Stats: 174/168/120
BF:42
Progress: 11%
Default Yep.

Hi!

I'm new to this thread, but I am training for the Marine Corps Marathon and trying to stick to an LC diet. My longest run so far has been only 6 miles. It's great to hear from others who are doing this.
  #206   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 14:29

BF:

KPO, lets keep the running thread going over in the general exercise, as it really has nothing to do with BFL. I'm not sure why I started it here in the first place.
Glad to see the other runners coming out again.
  #207   ^
Old Fri, Jun-20-03, 16:05

Plan: Swazenbein, Atkins, Zone
Stats: 119/127.5/115 Female 5' 5''
BF:?
Progress: 39%
Default LC and Marathons

Hi all:

I am so glad that there are other low carb eaters that run. I have a lot of friends that are runners (has anyone heard of the Hashers?), who think I am crazy for following a low carb plan. It difficult to try to convince them of the benefits of LC so most of the time I just avoid the subject. I am currently training for my first Marathon (Chicago)! I have been running recreationally for several years and decided it was time to finally do a Marathon! Training is going for the most part good even with the aches/pains. Please let me know if anyone has any advice to respond to others negative reaction to the low carb lifestyle.

Take care,
asomm
  #208   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 10:47

Plan: Body Make over
Stats: 270/218/195 Male 71
BF:
Progress:
Default Protein bar recipe

kghamilton you mentioned that your wife has a protein bar recipe, can you please provide. I have searched everywhere and all the recipes call for items I do not want to eat, high fat or high sugar.

Thanks!
  #209   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 11:09
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

The one protien bar recipe I found may be high fat for you, not sure. Basicaly it involved natural peanut butter mixed with protien shake and granular splenda. It's 10g fat and only 7 protien.