Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 20:03

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1cutie
I agree with you guys that it is just your muscles holding on to water. It will be gone soon.

Make that another vote for the "muscle holding onto water" camp! The body hates change and will resist at every turn. A water gobble usually happens after fat loss. Fat cells hold the water to try and retain their shape - keep water intake up and they'll surrender eventually.

Quote:
Is it bad to rely on the shakes so much for protein?
Not if you're eating a good amount daily. A good rule of thumb is if you're eating 5 or 6 meals a day then two 'supplemental' meals is OK, stick to one if you're only eating 3 times a day.

-Nat
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 21:13
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 153/146/120 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrushka
Fat cells hold the water to try and retain their shape - keep water intake up and they'll surrender eventually.
-Nat

How evil is that? My body pauses every couple of pounds before 'allowing' weight loss to continue. There's no way I'll be able to judge my progress with the scale for a while. Y'know, I've always joked that my fat loves me and doesn't want to leave...turns out it's true!
  #63   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 10:48

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist
There's no way I'll be able to judge my progress with the scale for a while.
You say that like it's a bad thing! Here's your opportunity to put the scale on the backburner and let something that you know is going to give you results take it's place in the forefront - make it part of your daily life and you won't have to worry about what that damned small appliance has to say ever again !

-N
  #64   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 10:59
"Natural Mystic"

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrushka
You say that like it's a bad thing! Here's your opportunity to put the scale on the backburner and let something that you know is going to give you results take it's place in the forefront - make it part of your daily life and you won't have to worry about what that damned small appliance has to say ever again !

-N

Yeah Nat. Optimist how about taking your measurements: neck, shoulders, chest, just-chest, natural waist, waist at belly button, hips, upper thighs, calves, arms, wrist, knees and whatever else you want. That way you can use tham to gauge your progress. You can also use something that is too small right now and keep trying it on. And when you finally fit into it whoohoo !

Peace
red
  #65   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 18:07
Registered Member

BF:
Smile

Nat and Red, I know you're both right but in the beginning the scale was the only indicator I had that maybe cutting down on carbs was 'working'. The scale is a tricky li'l devil and was, for a time, my loathesome tormenter. Now, instead of every day, I step on maybe every few days so I'm pretty much cured.

I hadn't thought to measure my neck or knees, Red. I took some measurements about a week before beginning BFL that I can check every 4 weeks. If THEY disappoint me...I'll just keep goin' anyway.
  #66   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 13:04
"Natural Mystic"

Optimist, when I was typing it I was laughing because it sounded strange too. But I went to this body fat site and they even asked for knee, upper thigh, lower thigh and neck measurements to calculate.

Peace
red
  #67   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 15:06
Registered Member

BF:

Red, it isn't something one would consider except to buy a shirt, maybe, but a woman told me she'd trimmed hers in the course of her weight loss. And, now I want to trim my neck and knees more than anything in the world! Seriously, the area surrounding my knee will be second to my waist measurement in determining my body fat loss. They're not really fat knees, per se, but neither are they the knees of a fit person.

And, I fear I'm stalling myself again by not eating enough. I just am not hungry, have had only two meals today. Gotta keep working on this.
  #68   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 08:35
"Natural Mystic"

Hey Optimist. I am doing pretty well with the eating 6 meals now. I really thought it was impossible but its easier now especially since I workout more consistently in the morning now. I have my shake with yogurt within the 45 mins to an hour depending on if its weight or cardio. Then two hours later I make sure I have something to eat. This forces me to prepare beforehand what I am eating during the day more carefully so I can divide everything into 6 meals. I find that now since I am eating smaller meals my appetite has gotten better and I don't have to force myself to eat. I think the food is more manageable in smaller meals.

My protein intake is still really bad though and I tend to rely on the shakes too much. I just hate cooking. Maybe on the weekend I'll try too cook alot of fish. I tried the canned salmon and I hated it..too salty and the tuna too. The sardines in the can are okay but not for everyday.
Quote:
Red, it isn't something one would consider except to buy a shirt, maybe, but a woman told me she'd trimmed hers in the course of her weight loss. And, now I want to trim my neck and knees more than anything in the world! Seriously, the area surrounding my knee will be second to my waist measurement in determining my body fat loss. They're not really fat knees, per se, but neither are they the knees of a fit person.
I think I have fat knees and legs. I think that as we lose body fat we lose fat everywhere I guess. I hope so. Just keep track of your measurements.

Sometimes I measure and then I measure right away and get a different measurement and that's frustrating. I know this might sound like a silly question but where do you measure your hips? Is it across your butt or where if not there? I know for body fat you measure your waist at your navel but they say widest part for hips so does that mean across your butt?

Quote:
And, I fear I'm stalling myself again by not eating enough. I just am not hungry, have had only two meals today. Gotta keep working on this.
What I have been doing since the end of June is varying my calories so I don't eat the same number of calories per day. Somedays it's hard because I have to force myself to eat to get in the calories and some days I feel hungry at night because not enough food. But yes if you consistently undereat I think your body might think you're not gicing it enough and start to hoard, not sure though. But two meals is definitely not a good thing, you body needs a constant supply of energy (food). Try hard to break them up.

Take care.

Peace
red
  #69   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 15:55
Registered Member

BF:

Wow, thanks, Red! Are you saying you prepare your food the night before? I write it out in the Journal and I PLAN to eat like that but rarely do! Today I feel really great because I made sure to get some food in early. If I let a couple hours pass in the morning sometimes I never get around to eating til afternoon. Horrible habit, the toughest part of the program so far.

But, I feel good about my lifting since I've started to tweak the routine and I actually look forward to the strength days more than the cardio! Knowing I need the protein to build muscle causes me to get in at least 2 meals and 2 shakes on those days.

A trainer once told me the body part you want to improve most will probably be the last to shape up. Ah well, I'm in no hurry (and, I look better in pants anyway!).