Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-09-02, 23:02

Plan: my own??
Stats: 155/155/130 Female 5'7
BF:25/20/16
Progress: 0%
Question new to CKD-is it effective for women?

Hi everyone

the ckd board has sparked my curiosity as a method to boost my fitness gains. I'm a female and have noticed most of you on the CKD plan are male. Is this plan effective for females as it is for males? I want to increase my strength, LOWER my body fat, and really get cut. I'm currently on atkins and feel way better, and have lost some weight, but I find i can't find the energy to do intense training. I CAN"T LIVE without WEIGHT TRAINING!! BUT i won't go back to LOW fat high carb ever ! So i really have confidence the CKD is for me LOL that rhymes

another question is when u do the carb up isn't it easy to lose control and get back into craving carbs, bingeing, and have to deal with insulin disruption and sugar crashes? i tend to be sensiitive to refined and most processed carbs. Any suggestions? thanks for your time

Piera
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-02, 05:39

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

Hey Piera!
The CKD also works for women. I do it for 12 weeks and then kind of do a variation of it for a bit and then cycle it back in.

The carb-ups are fine for me and I don't *usually* crave carbs during the week. I keep telling myself---the weekends almost here, the weekends almost here!

Let us know if you decide to do it and how it works out for you!

And ask any questions you may have!

Linda
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-02, 06:54
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%
Thumbs up

Just my 2 cents, I have only just started this and the "during the week" part of a CKD is certainly a lot more boring than my regular low carb eating plan, but it is almost easier to stick to a very strict plan because when I find myself frowning at the tuna and mayo, or sausages in the freezer for the tenth time in a week it is nice to browze the carb cupboard and think "mm, I'll eat this and this and that and this.... on saturday" Far too much to actually eat but it is fun to plan and keeps me from "tasting" little bit here and there of foods I should not.

I'm doing a 12 hour carb up, and I have to say that after low carbing for so long it is really hard to overdose on carbs in this period. As long as I know that after 12 hours it stops, no matter what there is only so much I can eat.. I have to drink most of my carbs.

Btw, I just want to praise this forum and the wonderful people who contribute to it. I have learned SO SO much just from this forum alone, and it is great to get input from both experts and beginners.

I've always had hope that I would lose enough fat to look good, and I have, but it's only been recently that I've actually started to believe that I can have a figure that I am actually very proud of, and happy with. One that is strong and defined!

Thank you to everyone!
Meg
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-02, 06:58

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

Yes, it does work. Rather than posting my own results over and over ad nauseum, I'll just say you can look at mine in the thread "CKD seems to be working."

I don't get cravings during the week, and I also limit my carb up to 12 or 24 hrs. Not only do I not get cravings, but it's hard to make myself eat the carbs I should be having during the carb up. I believe inthe results tho, so I try to do it.

Cheers,

Friday

BTW, Chantel is female and she gets good results, too.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-02, 08:22

Smile THNAKS GALS

Well then its confirmed... I am going out today and buying both bodyopus, and the ketogenic diet!! I can't wait to read them both. Thanks for the support. I may have quite a few questions as I start this so I will be posting them here. Please bear with me. But I'm a fast learner. I may have to try limiting my carb up to a 24 hour period. well happy CKDing to all
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-02, 10:11
Registered Member

Plan: L/C, personal plan
Stats: 240/155/148 Female 66.5
BF:23.5%
Progress: 92%
Default my results so far

Hello
yep, it is working. I have lost 8 pounds since June 10th.

I carb up for 12 hours usually.

hth
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-02, 21:43
Registered Member

Plan: B/O & ULTIMATE DIET
Stats: 205/185/180
BF:10%
Progress: 80%

Remember "Its not what you cant eat, but what you can eat."
Just try to think of fri-sat-sun as if you were on your tipacal low fat high carb diet and that way you cant really get to carried away. GOOD LUCK..
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-11-02, 10:40

Default What type of carbs?

Hi everyone,

thanks for replying.. but i still have afew questions, bear with me... what types of CARBs do you eat on your carb ups? Chantel what does your typical carb up day look like? would you mind listing your meals.. i just need an idea. I really don't want to go close to simple carbs like candy, white bread, and potatoes. Is this a good idea? thanks all

Piera
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-11-02, 12:31

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

Hey Piera!
Check out the thread entitled "Carb Up." It has a lot of good info on carb up foods!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-11-02, 21:01
Registered Member

Plan: B/O & ULTIMATE DIET
Stats: 205/185/180
BF:10%
Progress: 80%

Start with moderate to high GI carbs and tapper to low GI carbs.
If youre not familiar with the glycimic index mybe someone knows a web site you can go to.