Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Wed, Feb-09-05, 11:59

Plan: CKD
Stats: 240/180/170 Male 5'10''
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvtaylor
Try a good conditioner to help the tangles. There are a lot of nice products out there--I would say go as cheap as Pantene with extra moisturizers for dry hair and as expensive as Nioxin for color-treated hair to get a nice shine and detangling. A nice hot oil treatment might not be bad, either.

I have very fine long hair and Pantene has actually been pretty good. I think the formulation has improved since the days where a hairstylist would roll her eyes in horror when I used to tell her that I used Pantene. In Colorado where I live it is always very dry, so I use a combo shampoo/conditioner and follow it with conditioner.

Having the ends of your hair trimmed to remove the split-ends also helps a lot with combing.

If you're buying hair-care products, I would look for the ones geared to dry, damaged, or colored hair for the extra TLC.

Some of the best dietary aspects for hair are fats and proteins, so I bet that as your new hair comes back in and your scalp adjusts to the new chemistry you will find your locks improve. A good multivitamin and essential oil supplements are always a plus.

Here's a toast to healthy hair rockin' and rollin'!

I've been using VO5 conditioner lately. Sheesh, and I thought they were a reputable brand. I've liked Pantene in the past, though, so maybe I'll make it a habit to buy that. I definitely agree about going for the "dry, damaged, or colored" variety.

Now that you mention having the split ends trimmed, I just realized I forgot to mention something. The difficulty in combing is always towards the middle to bottom of my hair. The first half of my hair is pretty much a breeze.

I've been taking a multi-vitamin and flax-seed oil for a very long time, but it wasn't until I added the Hair, Skin and Nail Formula that I began to see new hair-growth again. Perhaps it was the mega dose of biotin (my multi has very little of it). Then again...as others have said...

When it comes to this "telogen effluvium" thing, you're always left guessing whether or not hair improvement was due to anything you bought and used, or because the transitional phase ended. Ya know? Gosh, what a headache. lol

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Wed, Feb-09-05, 17:08
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xku

The difficulty in combing is always towards the middle to bottom of my hair. The first half of my hair is pretty much a breeze.

Xku:
I've spent most of my adult life battling my long (below butt), very thick (not any more), and curly hair. It has always been an agony to brush them, especially after a shower. I've learned a few tricks that made my my life easier and the brushing not too painfu. Apply a generoud amount of good condition to your hair, starting from your ears down to the ends. Gently work the conditioner into your hair, and comb with a wide comb starting from the ends and working your way up, strand by strand. Grab a thick strand and run comb through a couple of inches of the ends, then move up. It does not take long even if you work one strand at a time. Once you comb all your hair, then rinse off the conditioner. Don't rub your hair with a towel , just gently squeeze excess water, and pat it. Voala, no more tangels. I use this technique even now when my hair are not as thick as they used to be, and not as long either. If you ever used any chemical dyes or bleach on your hair, the hair shaft becomes hollow and this creates frizzy, dry and tangled hair. Another thing is to comb or brush your hair right before you wash them, and try to sort of "milk" the shampoo down your hair, instead of rubbing and piling it up to get more suds. You can also put some conditioner on the ends before shampooning, this will keep tangles and split ends at bay as well.
HTH,
Dina
  #153   ^
Old Wed, Feb-09-05, 19:58

BF:
Progress:

Great tips, Dina! I'll give it a shot!

Combing from the tips upward seems like it's going to be hard, and painful though!
  #154   ^
Old Thu, Feb-10-05, 11:18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xku
Great tips, Dina! I'll give it a shot!

Combing from the tips upward seems like it's going to be hard, and painful though!
Not at all, trust me, just go slowly and gently. Go inch by inch, it will save you lots of hair compare to combing through a bunch of tanges if you start from the top. Believe me, I'm a hair battle veteran . I used to have 4" across pony tale of curly hair, can you imagine what troubles I went thorugh trying to comb them even once a day, not to mention after I washed them. It was a full time job, LOL. Oh, and one more thing: forget about blow drying, if you can, it will make the matter worse.
HTH,
D.
  #155   ^
Old Thu, Feb-10-05, 12:17

BF:
Progress:

What is the issue with blow drying? I've read this before, but I've never learned why exactly it makes it worse.

I generally avoid it, but in some instances I just can't. I use the "cool" setting instead of hot, though. I've been told it's preferable.
  #156   ^
Old Thu, Feb-10-05, 15:11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xku
What is the issue with blow drying? I've read this before, but I've never learned why exactly it makes it worse.

I generally avoid it, but in some instances I just can't. I use the "cool" setting instead of hot, though. I've been told it's preferable.
Blow drying on high heat is a very bad idea, especially if you have dry hair to begin with. High heat damages hair shaft, especially if you styling your hair (brushing adn pulling) simultaneously. Cool setting is preferable, but does not do as good job on styling . If I want to straighten my hair, I have to use as hot as possbile settings to smoth my hair (close out the hair cuticles), otherwise, I'll end up with a huge head of frizzy hair. If I let my hair just air dry, I don't comb them after wash and do not touch them with dry hands since this will create more freezes, than curls. It's very tricky buisiness to style curly hair.
This site has a bunch of usefull info on long hair car.
http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/longhair.htm
Good luck,
D.
  #157   ^
Old Tue, Oct-10-06, 21:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: -/-/- Female 163cm
BF:
Progress:
Default Hair genesis

Has anybody tried this product called hair genesis? I've also been experiencing hair loss too and i believe it must be either due to the crash dieting i did a while back, or it's the stress from school.

There's so many products out there (revivogen, hair genesis, nuhair etc.) i really don't know which one i should purchase, especially when i'm not staying in the states and international shipping would take very long, not to mention more costly.

It's all very frustrating, when i think i might make the wrong choice and the product wouldn't work, especially after a long while of waiting for the product to come.

I really would appreciate any input on hair genesis, or any other product that's effective. I'm desperate ahhhh. Thanks so much!
  #158   ^
Old Tue, Oct-10-06, 21:23
Registered Member

Plan: ATkins
Stats: 000/000/110 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I still think that biotin 5000 mcg is your best bet. You don't lose hair from the outside in but a lot of times if you are losing hair due to nutrition you are losing from the inside out... that is my perception anyway... so a good ingested vitamin like biotin will do the best for hairloss due to diet or stress loss. I have heard that if your hair loss is extreme to try using Rogaine as well... don't worry if it says if you stop using it your hairloss will start again.. that is only for people that have male pattern baldness... once your diet/stress resolves itself you will stop losing. BELIEVE me when I say that I lost a ton of hair (brushfulls!!!!) and with using the 5000 mcg of biotin I have regained all my hair back... here is a picture of my hair today...

#159   ^
Old Wed, Oct-11-06, 00:40

Plan: atkins
Stats: -/-/- Female 163cm
BF:
Progress:

Thanks alot cherilyn Your reply assured me, especially with your photo, you look truly wonderful. I'll give biotin a go, thanks once again!