Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-09, 01:25

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%
Default New book reviewed by Jimmy Moore on CFS

Have a look at this link and you'll find lots of other links which will give you more info about Nadine Saubers and her new therapy. She had CFS herself for 20 years and has used diet, exercise and sleep to beat it. If she's being interviewed by Jimmy Moore, then you can bet that the LC WOE will feature somewhere in there!

amanda

http://www.carbwire.com/2009/01/26/...rcise-and-sleep
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-09, 00:35

Plan: LC since 1/15/09
Stats: 317/278/217 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 39%

That's great. Too many people say it's incurable. But, I don't believe it. In just a short couple of weeks I am functioning a lot better by LCing.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-09, 05:00

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NrgQuest
That's great. Too many people say it's incurable. But, I don't believe it. In just a short couple of weeks I am functioning a lot better by LCing.

I'm thrilled to hear that! Do you also take any supplements or use any other strategies to alleviate the symptoms? My ED has mono right now, which can turn into CFS, so I'm really interested to know what else we can do to help her.

amanda
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-01-09, 11:33

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandawood
I'm thrilled to hear that! Do you also take any supplements or use any other strategies to alleviate the symptoms? My ED has mono right now, which can turn into CFS, so I'm really interested to know what else we can do to help her.

amanda

Is she LCing? I think that is the biggest help. B vitamins, don't know off hand which ones help the most, but meat has them. I'm not really doing suppliments. I had a problem in the past where they worked too well! I got so much energy from them I moved too much and then crashed, it's common with CFS. I am going to start them again though when I have more stable energy. I don't have that yet. But, I can work longer without a next day crash. I started out with being only able to move a half hour a day now I am up to an hour and a half. I can't remember the poster that pushes Vitamin D3 I think it is, anyway I will be looking into that too. As you can imagine, I am pretty pumped up over little things like being able to read for more than 15 minutes at a time, being able to get up make breakfast and get ready to go without having to take a break in between each step to get out, I am only half way or maybe only at 25% of my goal. I am so not an expert, but I am learning what works for me.

I was so happy to see that someone else beat this though, it gives me a lot of hope.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-02-09, 05:42

BF:

Quote:
Is she LCing?

Amazingly enough, yes, she is! She had developed some serious carb addictions, which, fortunately, she recognized and, for about five weeks now, she has not touched bread, pasta, rice or any sweet things beyond 70% cocoa chocolate! She still eats quite a bit of fruit, but as she is almost 12 and smack-bang in the middle of puberty, I don't think it's the right time for her to be actually dieting to lose weight as such. She decided she didn't want to continue gaining fat at such an alarming rate and is now a dedicated LCer!

Quote:
B vitamins, don't know off hand which ones help the most, but meat has them. I'm not really doing suppliments. I had a problem in the past where they worked too well! I got so much energy from them I moved too much and then crashed, it's common with CFS.

My ED is not a big meat eater, but she likes fish and eggs. I shall offer her some kids' multivits which I think have Bs. I know what you mean about the energy problem! My daughter was all set to go back to school today and was actually really looking forward to it, but she had only just been back at normal energy levels for the weekend (last Thursday she was still pretty lethargic) and, of course, promptly overdid it. Today was the relapse... Sounds so similar to mono...

Quote:
I am going to start them again though when I have more stable energy. I don't have that yet.

I understand what you are saying about being wary of the supplements because they gave you "too much energy", but, nonetheless, I would definitely look into these supplements: zinc (possibly alternating with copper); magnesium and selenium. These are all key elements of many of our enzyme systems and, if the body is deficient in these, then many of the body's metabolic systems will simply be "underpowered". I am going to put my ED on the magnesium tablets I take, which have the Bs mixed with magnesium. I am coming to the conclusion that it is our underpowered enzyme systems which are at least part of the reason for modern diseases.

Go to george-eby-research.com for a lot of info about magnesium and zinc. I don't remember offhand whether he mentions CFS in connection with these minerals, but he might.

Quote:
But, I can work longer without a next day crash. I started out with being only able to move a half hour a day now I am up to an hour and a half. I can't remember the poster that pushes Vitamin D3 I think it is, anyway I will be looking into that too.

I am very glad to hear that your energy levels are improving: I am sure it is the LCing which helps, too. If I now eat too many carbs, I feel so sluggish! And, I would definitely look into Vit D3!!! I have been taking it since late November 2008 and I can absolutely confirm what others say: it lightens your mood; evens your temper; boosts your energy levels; makes you sleep better and sounder; and, I do believe it helped my immunity this winter. A nasty flu virus went round Germany this year and, although I got a really nasty sore throat and was sure I was going to come down with this flu, I didn't! Although I did also dash down to my pharmacy to get a German herbal remedy which always helps me beat off colds before they can take hold, so I don't know if it was just the Vit D3, or a combination of that and the other stuff I eat and take as supplements.

I use the Biotics Emulsion Forte (listed at the beginning of the Great Vitamin D Experiment thread) and am very happy with it.

My daughter was taking Vit D3 and just before her relapse, we had got a bit lapse about her taking it, along with her Wobenzym: I am wondering if her relapse was also caused by her not taking these things: both Vit D3 and Wobenzym boost the immune system - hers obviously wasn't quite ready to manage without a bit of help on the side...

Quote:
As you can imagine, I am pretty pumped up over little things like being able to read for more than 15 minutes at a time, being able to get up make breakfast and get ready to go without having to take a break in between each step to get out, I am only half way or maybe only at 25% of my goal. I am so not an expert, but I am learning what works for me.

You are your own best doctor: nobody but you know really knows what is best for you! The internet is such a great way to improve your knowledge and I know feel very superior when I visit doctors!!! I am sure I know a lot more than them about certain fields!!!

Quote:
I was so happy to see that someone else beat this though, it gives me a lot of hope.

Hope is a pretty potent medicine, too! Never give up!!! You will find a way to beat this. I recommend you get in touch with "puppetlady"; she has a journal and has had good experiences with various supplements, such as Turmericforce and a few other things. If you google her name on the search, you should find her. Tell her I sent you, I'm sure she won't mind!

I wish you the very best of luck with your searches for new ways of dealing with your CFS and sincerely hope that you find some new things to give you more energy.

amanda
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-03-09, 00:54

BF:

Tommorow I am going go to Walmart to look for suppliments. My search on Sunday was a bust. I hate Rite Aid. Kroger had nothing. So, I am thinking D3, iodine(for adrenal support), and magnesium.

I am glad to hear your daughter is LCing. I am still working on converting mine. She gave up her chocolate today, it's a good sign I think.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-03-09, 02:21

BF:

PS

I recommended you "see" puppetlady, but she has fibromyalgia, not CFS.

Have you had yourself diagnosed to see if it is the Epstein-Barr-Virus that turned into CFS in your case? If you have had EBV (mono), you really want to get your Vit D3 levels up, because they say there is a link between low Vit D3 levels, EBV and getting MS. Not a good place to go.

I am getting my ED to take her Vit D3 again.

Coconut oil would be a good thing for you, too. Have you tried that?

amanda
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-03-09, 14:40

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandawood
PS

I recommended you "see" puppetlady, but she has fibromyalgia, not CFS.

Have you had yourself diagnosed to see if it is the Epstein-Barr-Virus that turned into CFS in your case? If you have had EBV (mono), you really want to get your Vit D3 levels up, because they say there is a link between low Vit D3 levels, EBV and getting MS. Not a good place to go.

I am getting my ED to take her Vit D3 again.

Coconut oil would be a good thing for you, too. Have you tried that?

amanda

I am just hitting the tip of the iceberg as far as information goes on getting over CFS symptoms. I don't know the cause, I have little hope doctors can help especially since the majority of them say they can't help. I don't think I had mono, but I am still going to be taking Vit D3 because I am convinced it will help whether it was mono or not. I just found a site today and posted a thread on it. I think it would be of interest to you as these things look like they would help anyone with fatigue no matter what the cause. This is the link to the website, so you don't have to look for that thread.

http://www.cfs-recovery.org/
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-07-09, 03:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/188/150 Female 66"
BF:Day37=2"loss belly
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NrgQuest
Too many people say it's incurable. But, I don't believe it. In just a short couple of weeks I am functioning a lot better by LCing.

I have been low carbing nearly 6 years and it has helped me go from degenerating to regenerating, but I am not functioning much better. My adrenals have healed but I am extremely weak (although not different than high carb diet)

I read that many people that are misdiagnosed with CFS actually have food allergies and low carbing eliminates the most common food allergens.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-11, 11:00
Registered Member

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 120/120/120 Female 165cm
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy_cfid
I read that many people that are misdiagnosed with CFS actually have food allergies and low carbing eliminates the most common food allergens.

I really hope so. In the last few months I've diagnosed and cut out sugar, gluten, fructose intolerances (well that was before). I feel worse if I have these things, the fatigue definitely gets worse over the next few hours/days, but haven't seen positive changes yet. The low carb diet makes a lot of sense in these respects.

I've also got hypoglycaemia and think the constant low blood sugar episodes would have drained my muscles and liver of energy, really hoping that the low carb diet makes a dramatic difference at least in this respect.

Best of luck and best of health improvements to all you on this board.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-11, 01:40
Registered Member

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 120/120/120 Female 165cm
BF:
Progress:

NrgQuest,

I think the article must have been moved because the link doesn't work for me.
Thought I'd share a website that I have found useful, keep reading down to get to the diet info
http://www.biblelife.org/fibromyalgia.htm

HTH