Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-19, 08:52

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Mayonnaise is made with eggs, which have a small amount of carbs, so any brand that claims "0 g" carbs is rounding down. Depending on where you live, rounding down by 0.5-0.99 g carbs is legal and common on nutrition labels. Just look for (or make) mayo that does not include any type of sugar in the ingredients list.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-19, 10:14

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

I've been aiming to get rid of seed vegetable oils in my diet, but I admit that mayo and some commercial salad dressings are lingering. I have cut way back, so for now I'm okay with that.

I've searched high and low for mayo without sugar in it and the only one I can find--including all the fancy avocado oil mayo--is the house brand from Trader Joe's. Part of the reason is that my tastebuds have changed and I find the sugar weird-tasting in other mayo, though obviously it's a few less carbs, too. It is made with canola oil, though, so it just depends on where you want to make your compromises.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-19, 10:28

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

I hear this on has no sugar added https://www.dukesmayo.com/
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-19, 10:47

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

first ingredient in duke's is soybean oil. no-go for me.

ingredients
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-19, 10:50

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

double post
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-19, 09:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

The reason why I switched to Atkins from primal/paleo is that it isn't so purist. I look at the big picture. Hellman's real mayonnaise is absolutely fine. Most mayos use soybean oil and have a little sugar in them. If you don't fill a dessert dish with it, you should be okay! Hellman's real mayo is officially acceptable for people who follow Atkins and South Beach, too, if I recall correctly. I live in the U.S. and we have Duke's here, which is awesome, but my backup mayo is Hellman's Real (no light, just regular). If there is a store brand of real mayo with essentially the same ingredients and carb total (which should be ridiculously low per serving), I wouldn't worry about it - especially if it agrees with you, adds pleasure to your diet/WOE and helps you stay on track.

Last edited by barb712 : Wed, Aug-14-19 at 09:19.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-19, 09:15

Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

P.S. - A while back, I started mixing mustard into my mayo to cut back on the amount and add kick. There are all different kinds of mustards. I like the grainy brown deli kind, Dijon, or brown mustard mixed with horseradish.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-19, 14:48

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by niknak
I read the label on my Hellmann's real mayonnaise jar today and was shocked to find it contains sugar. It is obviously a small amount as 100g only equals 1.5 carbs, but the rule with Atkins is to avoid all sugar and so it can't be legal right? Anyway, I went to the supermarket earlier to find some mayo that did not contain sugar, but was unsuccessful. I tried another supermarket and it was the same deal...every single brand had sugar in it. I remember Atkins saying mayo was fine as long as it was real. What’s the deal here? Please don't tell me I have to make the stuff myself!
Here is the US South for years I used Duke's mayo which has never had sugar, at least as long as I knew of it. However for Hellmann's, or even my beloved Duke's, it's the soybean oil that concerns me more than any tiny trace amounts of sugar. I think there are places in the UK where you can find mayo made with olive oil or avocado oil but I forget where they were. But that's your best bet to look for. If you have to end up making your own it's pretty easy and painless with an immersion blender (aka stick blender).
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-19, 15:36

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Duke was never in Texas until a couple of years ago and to try it I bought some. Unfortunately I grabbed the fat-free variety (small letters). Needless to say, that didn't give me a good idea of what it tastes like..I had to throw it away it was so bad.

I use Kraft and it does have soy oil. Thank goodness I only have a little every few months.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-19, 22:01

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Because of the low quality oil in Hellman's, mayo has moved to the back shelf of the fridge.

Making mayo with a blender is easy peasy, or use a food processor. Flavor is more intense, and very different from Hellman's.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-19, 06:11

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Most of the mayo I see is made from soy oil. I don't like the taste of soy. I don't mind canola--there's a horrid video about it on youtube, so everybody hates canola. A big difference between canola and other vegetable oils is that it has a video, and they don't. I like avocado oil, but have no idea how appetizing the process of making it would be in a video. I made avocado oil mayo for a while, it had a very slightly greenish tinge that I liked.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-19, 08:31
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I don't have a Costco membership, but my daughter just got one. So I had a chance to go to Costco for the first time in many, many years. I wanted to see if they had more/better keto options than BJ's - which is where we currently have a membership. Costco does have more keto friendly items - including AVACADO MAYO and clarified butter. I bought some of the mayo. It is a little different, but it is good. It's a little runnier than Duke's or Hellman's, which I had pretty much stopped consuming due to the seed oil content. So I'm eating mayo again. The clarified butter, on the other hand... meh! Maybe good for cooking, but I'll stick to regular butter for the flavor.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-19, 10:14

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Thanks for Costco tip on avocado mayo. Their extra virgin organic olive oil is excellent, and I buy much of my protein there as well. I've been using the Paleo Kitchen brand which is also avocado oil, and I'm sure it's more expensive than Costco. I'll check it out. Hoping it's not in a 10-pound container . . .😎
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-19, 11:20

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I’ve bought the Costco avocado oil mayo. I don’t particularly like it. However it comes in a fairly normal sized jar. 😉
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Nov-21-19, 13:58

Stats: 285/285/195 Male 6ft. 0in.
BF:
Progress:

I use Dukes Mayonaise. Shows no sugar in the ingredients list.