Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 19:30

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

[QUOTE]Here is their website... you can nutritional info there. I think I remember the protein style burgers being about 11 g carbs each.

http://www.in-n-out.com/

Why 11 carbs? I dont have an in-n-out here but why is the burger without the bun 11 carbs?

An while I'm asking McDonalds salad grilled chicken adds 4 carbs for an unbreaded chicken breast.

I think I am way undercounting carbs-if these are true.

Also I cant find nutritional info on the store cooked rotesserie chickens . I bet the infusion stuff they use adds lots of carbs.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 19:36
The evolution of me

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

My guess would be some kind of special sauce? I never had one so i'm not sure what they add.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 20:04

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

The count for the protein style burger includes ketchup, mustard and the lettuce. Depending on how much ketchup is on that burger, I can see it adding up to 10 grams of carb. 1 tablespoon of ketchup can be up to 7 grams of carb (ranges from 3-7 per tablespoon). There are also 2 grams of fiber for an effective carb count of 8 grams. My bet would be on the ketchup jacking up the carb count.

As for McDonald's chicken. It's quite likely that they marinate it in a solution that contains sugar to make it taste better and that's why it adds 4 grams of carb to the salad.

Watch those restaruants...they sneak sugar into almost everything!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 20:09

Stats: 180/172/160
BF:
Progress: 40%

No, its not the ketchup because In and Out burgers don't put ketchup on their burgers. Its the special sauce (thousand island). I believe without it, the carb count goes to 6 or around there. There is also onion and tomato so you have to count that too.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 10:38

Stats: 144/140/125 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

Also, a lot of times restauants use some fillers in their burgers (I do when I make them at home!) Like TVP, bread, eggs etc. It makes the burger keep its shape and stay together. I wouldn't be concerned that there would be an ungodly amount of additional carbs, but just be aware its not always just ground beef!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 12:06

Plan: Atkins/Counting Calories
Stats: 173/165/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 29%

I agree with erbadger. There are probably fillers in the burger. Make sure when you get a burger that it states that is 100% PURE BEEF. Otherwise, it is not. Restaurants do not have to state that there are fillers in their meat, but if something is 100% pure beef they will let you know, because it is a good selling point.

Wee
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 14:15

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 330/258.2/150 Female 68 inches
BF:

The processed cheese has more carbs than regular cheddar. The secret sauce or if you get it with ketchup (they do have an option to have just ketchup and mustard, it's on their nutritional information), of course has added carbs. I do think that most fast food places also use a soy additive or other fillers in their burgers. That's why the burgers I make at home never come close to what I can get at the fast food place. The veggies don't account for too much in the way of effective carbs, so if you get it with only the veggies, and maybe add your own cheddar cheese, you'd be golden.

A good place to go to see the difference added with each topping is the Carl's Jr. website. Their nutrition information is cool. You can put in your chosen meal, and it gives you options for each part of it, you can check or uncheck and then submit and it will give you the particular nutritional information for your meal. Check it out - it's interesting. It will give you an idea of what parts of fast food meals you should really avoid.

Melissa
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 14:27
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Note: Carl's Jr is only on the west coast though. We went to many traveling through. My DH adores their fried zucchini (HIGH CARB THOUGH).
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 15:47

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 330/258.2/150 Female 68 inches
BF:
Default Oh!

I didn't know that Carl's Jr. is only on the west coast. Guess I showed where I've grown up. LOL.

Even if you aren't on the west coast - just for information purposes their website is informative. Most places I have found don't give you information about each individual ingredient for the burgers, etc.

Oh, and I just checked. Burger King also has an interactive nutrition wizard.

HTH

Melissa
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 05:30

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I guess I was so surprised because this protein style was held up to be Atkins friendly. If you hold the sauce too it is the probably a more carb correct lunch.

We have a burger chain here that does blu cheese or mushroom toppings that I might have to check out soon.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 12:31

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/165/165 Male 72
BF:some
Progress: 100%

I beleive that carls junior on the east coast are called hardees, which we used to have on the west coast too but I don't think we do anymore

anyway I order a superstar like at carls junior at hardees when I was in florida and it looked like the exact same sandwich

wish we had in and out burgers here