Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 07:04
Flutterby

Plan: All that make sense
Stats: 220/212/160 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Protein Power Pals - Wednesday- March 17

Happy St. Patricks Day!

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 07:11

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Oops! I'll post here and put a note in my thread to come here!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 07:15

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I'm back! Morning, Dawn!

Ellie, I just read your post from last night. I had a D&C many many years ago. It was really nothing. I also take BCPs every day without the placebos. You have to skip a day here and there so that the insurance still pays for the prescriptions. They'll only pay once every 30 days. I have had probably 4 periods in the past 2 years, and I love it!

And geez, girl. You work out more when you're not feeling well than I do when I'm feeling good. You're making me feel guilty!

Gotta run. In the office today. Instead of the 6 to 12 inches of snow they predicted, I don't think we got 6 centimeters! Driving was slow, but not too bad.

May the luck of the Irish be with you!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 07:19
Flutterby

Plan: All that make sense
Stats: 220/212/160 Female 5'4
BF:

HI Bawdy..lol.. we were in synchronicity this morning! I wont be back here probably til late tonite, teaching all day, then a client, then church tonite.. busy day.. thats the game plan at least.. I have to remember to tell you guys what happened to me yesterday before class with a truck driver... it was not a pretty picture.. So I am writing that to keep you in suspense, and to trigger my memory later on.. Love and Laughter,
Dawn
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 07:50

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 255/230/140 Female 5'6
BF:63%
Progress: 22%

Good morning all

Things are going well here; almost done with this class and I can relax for a couple of weeks My job has been turned on its head.....my boss walked out, and now they are considering not hiring another person to take his place - they may re-do that position. So now I have no clue what is going on!!

I am still trying to decide what to do about exercise. The tapes/dvd's from www.lowcarbexercise.com look very intriguing.......but I have a gym membership so I don't know. Maybe having tapes to do at home will get me to do them. Apparantly all I need to do these videos is a ball and some weights. I just know I need to do something!!

Have a good day all!

Robin
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 08:00

Plan: IF & Paleo
Stats: 270/254/150 Female 68 inches
BF:--- too much!

Happy Saint Patrick's Day, Protein Power Pals!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 08:06

Plan: Low-Cal - good carbs
Stats: 235/229/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Happy St Patty's Day to y'all. Sorry I was absent yesterday. Will go read the yesterday's thread after this post.

My menu was good yesterday. I'm still retaining water.

Started watching my calorie per pound intake several weeks ago to try to drop 5 lbs or so for the hiking season - began at 177lbs. My weight is going back down now that the cause of my swelling has be found - an infection. It's 174.5 today. Calories per pound 1560 / 174 = 8.97 (aiming for around 8 to 9.5).

Total calories: 1560
Fat: 94 gms 842 cal 56%
Sat: 24 gms 218 cal 14%
Poly: 32 gms 286 cal 19%
Mono: 31 gms 281 cal 19%
Carbs: 35 gms 99 cal 7% ECC: 25 gms
Fiber: 10 gms 0 cal 0%
Protein: 144 gms 575 cal 38%

Breakfast:
4 egg-beater omelet with 2 ozs lean ham and 1 oz cheddar
Breakfast drink - 8 ozs water, 1 envelope sf gelatine, 1 scoop sf orange citrucel
30 ozs coffee (regular, brewed)

Lunch:
7.75 oz can of salmon

Dinner:
6 oz chicken breast - lightly coated with olive oil and spices - baked
1,25 cup spinach salad
5 oz broccoli spears with .5 oz velveeta
.75 cup okra - breaded and fried

About 120 oz water & 30 ozs coffee
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 08:14

Plan: Organic Dukan Attack
Stats: 132/129.4/116 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default Arrrrrrrrgh!

Well, I'm really, really frustrated, angry, and even a little weepy this a.m. I know I am new to PP, so bear with me. Maybe you have all been here before.

In January I dropped my carbs to about 100 per day (via Insulin Resistance Diet). I fairly quickly dropped 6 pounds. In February I dropped them further to about 70 carbs per day (via Life Without Bread). Lost no weight at all in Feb. At the beginning of March, I dropped my carbs to about 40 per day and started adding protein (via PP). So far I have gained 3 pounds. And NO, I have not lost inches, in fact this a.m. it looks like I have GAINED about 1.5 inches around my waist. I didn't sleep worth a damn last night and now I can't even begin to think about exercising. I am exhausted and depressed. Where is the sudden loss of water weight I was expecting to see?

What gives? Is this potassium levels? I'll start supplementing potassium today, since I don't see how that could hurt. But really, I'm beginning to think that nothing will take weight off me anymore!

The only thing I have done right for years is exercise, and now that that has stopped working for me I feel like it is hopeless!!

Sorry, I know I'm just venting.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 08:28

Plan: Low-Cal - good carbs
Stats: 235/229/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Dawn:
Thanks for yesterday's laugh and the article on the behavior of fat cells.

Congrats on the 2 lb loss

Ellie:
Sorry to hear TOM is still being a pain. It kind of sounds like a D & C may be coming. I did the BC pills without sugar pills for four months - it worked for the most part - had a little spotting and breast tenderness off and on.

Songberrie:
Don't think I've welcomed you to the thread. Enjoyoing your upbeat posts.

Paris:
Good to see you hear

Robin:
Glad school is almost over and sorry to hear about job upheaval.

Wonderful that you are narrowing down an exercise plan.

Bawdy:
Maybe I'm wrong, but I was thinking yu upped your calories toward the end of last year... might want to check FitDay for Oct - Dec. I don't remember what the result was.

Michele: (acipenser)
giggling at yesterday's comments to Kat

Kat:
I'm going right out and buy myself some Breyer... just kidding. I'm glad you lost.

Lizette:
Check your email - I couldn't get the PM system to work????

Hope the snow missed you.

Where is Elaine??? Where are all the missing members - I may have to go hunt down the Yeti. And Wendy will be my next project.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 08:40

Plan: PP
Stats: 264/255.2/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%

Happy St Pat's day all!

Never fear, I am here. Just been way busy . Donated my second pint of blood yesterday and have more pre-admission testing this aft. If I stay in vampire mode any longer I will start calling myself Buffy.

Bawdy, the business news channel said something about it has proved that the bubbles in Guinness float down. Don't know what that means but thought you should be informed.

Hi Dawn, you've certainly kept everyone informed and chuckling!!!

Nelson, post a few menus, let's see if our resident troubleshooters can help!

Hi to everyone else, gotta go, busy time at work.

Elaine
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 09:20

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

good morning all,

happy st. patty's day!!!

another day of good eating down:
Calories Eaten Today
source grams cals %total
Total: 1613
Fat: 88 788 52%
Sat: 27 246 16%
Poly: 16 147 10%
Mono: 26 233 15%
Carbs: 71 170 11%
Fiber: 28 0 0%
Protein: 136 545 36%
Alcohol: 0 0 0%

i was a little low on calories last night, so i had a treat (sf of course)!! and was still down 1.b this morning. (granted it is one of those lbs that was gained, so i am not even yet...i am at 203 now) i wonder if all those fluctuataions these past 2 months were calorie fluctuations also?? will have to pay attention to that and see what happens.

today is my usualy gym day. well, i work 30 miles away from home, the gym is about 1/2 way inbetween. i get about 5 miles away from work this morning when i realize i forgot my gym bag. i am wearing geans, workboots and a uniform shirt (playing with the fishies today). so, i will miss my class tonight. and it will take some real effort to go back OUT once i get home from work......arggg. i may just try to hit the gym tomorrow evening and just not take a class.

dawn--
Quote:
So I am writing that to keep you in suspense
it worked!!!!!!!!!

bawdy--send me some snow!!! i got a rest-of-the-season pass to the mountain and i want to use it as much as possible!!! let it snow!!!

robin-- any excercise!!! hehe... they gym membership is what gets me off my rear!! i can't stand paying for something and not using it, that is my incentive. sometimes i think that if i had a treadmill at home i would use it on my no gym days. i keep looking at prices.

nelson-- i agree, post some menus. could you possibly be suffering the withdral symptoms that sometimes come with the carb drops? give it a couple of days and see if they go away. i also can't help but notice that you current weight is far lower than any of our goal weights. how tall are you??

big hello to everybody else, have a great day
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 09:28

BF:

Ok, here's yesterday, and it is very typical

breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled with butter plus 2 slices of ham (ham omelet). These are small eggs with 6 g protein and 1 g. carb each. Ham said there was no carbs and 8 g of protein in 2 slices (my ham talks to me). I make that 20 g. protein, 2 g. carbs. (~300 cals)

snack: high fiber bran muffin from TJ's: label says 22 g. total carbs but 13 g. fiber. and 5 g. protein (80 cals) I read that 9 carbs

Lunch: 4 oz of broiled chicken (25 g. protein?) plus 1/2 cup green beans with a tbs. of butter. I counted 2 g. net carbs for the beans (325 cals?)

snack: half an apple 10 net carbs? 50 cals?

dinner: foil packet of tuna (23 gr. protein) with green salad (I don't count leafy greens and there were no carrots or croutons), 1 tbs mayo in tuna (200 cals?)

snack: 1 oz smoked almonds (6 gr. protein, 2 net carbs per label) 170 cals.

I make that 79 g. protein, 23g carbs, 1125 cals. for the day

Some days I replace the eggs with a cup of Greek yogurt (16 gr. protein and 8 grams carbs, but on those days I usually use an atkins shake for a low-carb high protein meal in the evening)

Typically, since the first of the year, I have found that I get between 1100 and 1300 cals everyday, with about half the cals coming from fat. The rest is coming from carbs and protein, and I have been increasing the protein and decreasing the carbs. I do weigh and measure my food, so I am not "free feeding" anything but spinach and lettuce.

Since I don't have a dramatic amount of weight to lose, I know I shouldn't expect dramatic losses, but I am really upset to see NO loss and even some gain for two months now!!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 09:37

BF:

Acipenser, thanks for responding (you, too, ewinpa).

I'm only 5 feet tall, 50 years old, and I have a desk job, so even though I exercise regularly, a goal weight of 114 seems reasonable to me. I arrived at that goal by doing the calculations in the Protein Power book.

I am astounded at people on this lowcarber forum who post goals of less than 100 pounds! How can anyone over the age of 12 need to be that small?

I know I am doing a lot of whining today, but after not worrying about my diet for years, I just assumed that the first time I started limiting my food intake seriously, I would have real success. When I first started exercising, years ago, it worked miracles. I wanted low carb to be as rewarding.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 11:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/140/130 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Wednesday

Nelson: Believe me, I know how you feel and how frustrating it can be !
I have been on lowcarb for over 4 months and not managed to lose at all yet! Still sticking with it! This was also my first attempt at weight management and from one baby boomer (I'm 53) to another...age DOES make a difference. I think we have to do a bit more tweaking to take care of our slower metabolism ! Hang in there and keep posting. We are all here to help!

Dawn: Can't wait to here about the truck driver!

Has anyone heard from Meg?

It is so strange to read the posts about continuing snow when it is 70 degrees here and the bradford pear trees are blooming !!!

Good day to all
Kat
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 12:12

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlynweb
It is so strange to read the posts about continuing snow when it is 70 degrees here and the bradford pear trees are blooming !!!

Good day to all
Kat

We're looking at clear skies and 90 degrees here in sunny So. Cal! (Ok, now I'm just making myself unpopular!!)