Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 16:16
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsrus
Thank you for the answers. I was reading more at some of the links already posted. From one of those I gather that I have to be sure it's magnessium chloride. Is that correct?
that is DEAD SEA SALTS that's what I use.

the alternative is EPSOM SALTS magnesium sulphate a bit more expensive but may be better for those with arthritis. (I think spa waters are often high magnesium sulphate)
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 16:20
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandawood
But you have to do this soaking in vinegar thing first, to draw out the minerals,
Yep it just needs that vinegar acid to dissolve the calcium. That's why I leave my stock in the pan overnight.
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 16:49

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
I was just quoting what I'd read in "Nourishing Traditions". Sally Fallon says the magnesium in beef is the "most usable" or something like that. But you have to do this soaking in vinegar thing first, to draw out the minerals, and so far, I have always forgotten to do this!!! GRRRR.

I don't use vinegar but I throw in whatever acid I have available - beet kvass, sauerkraut juice, lemon juice, etc. I used to use kombucha but it turns out that wrecks me just like vinegar does!

So you disagree with Sally about the long stewing? (8 hours vs 36 hours)
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 17:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/183/165 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:Lots
Progress: 22%

Quote:
Hi Catsrus!

I don't bite! You can ask me personally next time if you want to know why I wrote something! I really don't mind!

Just hit the quote button and I'll see that you want to ask something about what I wrote (or do the same with anyone else's posts). The quote will appear in a grey box automatically.

A bath in Epsom Salts will apparently make you "sleep like a baby" so that's why I said bathe in it at night. For the same reasons as Hutchinson outlines, I take my magnesium at night. I have sometime woken up with my jaw clenched, so I hope that taking magnesium at night might stop me from doing this by relaxing the muscles.

amanda

Sorry, I have just never learned to use the quote button because usually I only want to quote one small sentence of something.
Anyway, I appreciate the responses. I got myself some 250 mag. oxide (because that was all they had) and some epsom salts for a bath. I'm anxious to see if I see any effects from this.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 18:24
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsrus
Sorry, I have just never learned to use the quote button because usually I only want to quote one small sentence of something.
Anyway, I appreciate the responses..
To remove extraneous text, just highlight it, then hit the Delete button on your keyboard. If the text you want to keep is in the middle of the quote, you will have to delete everything before it first, then everything after it. Two steps. It's not hard. If you make a mistake, just go up to the Edit menu on your browser's toolbar and click on Undo.
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-09, 07:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/183/165 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:Lots
Progress: 22%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisal
To remove extraneous text, just highlight it, then hit the Delete button on your keyboard. If the text you want to keep is in the middle of the quote, you will have to delete everything before it first, then everything after it. Two steps. It's not hard. If you make a mistake, just go up to the Edit menu on your browser's toolbar and click on Undo.

Ah ha! Thank you for that tip! And I apologize for the rabbit trail to the tread.
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-09, 11:04
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Ctrl-Z also is undo.
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-09, 14:35

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meistro
Thanks Amanda and Hutch for the magnesium info. I think I must have read part of that thread before because I have read some of those links.

Thanks!

Hi Meistro!

How ya doing? I don't really have any other way of contacting you, so I'm trying it this way. Has the magnesium kicked in? Are you feeling better these days?

Pop in to my journal and say hello if you want!

Just click on the journal button below.

All the best,

amanda
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Mar-04-09, 08:39

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

The first year that I supplemented with Vitamin D during the winter months, I frequently got pains in my muscles & joints. Occasionally, the long bones in my legs felt downright "weird." After taking it for quite some time, I started to feel a bit "on edge," the day after.

The second year that I supplemented with it, I noticed that my joints frequently made "popping" noises.

This is the third winter I've taken Vitamin D, and this year, when I take a high dosage, it induces Severe Exhaustion, occurring about 5-7 hours after ingestion; I have to go to bed and "sleep it off" until the next morning when I'm still groggy.

I take 2000 IU daily from October thru year end. Then I take 12,OOO IU every once in while. IF I happen to believe that I might be coming down with a cold or flu, then I take the 12,000 IU every other day until I feel totally healthy.

Now that it's March, I'll only take it if I seriously feel under the weather. I'll resume taking it again in October.

I haven't had a cold or influenza every since I started using Vitamin D.
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Mar-05-09, 03:24

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil' annie
The first year that I supplemented with Vitamin D during the winter months, I frequently got pains in my muscles & joints. Occasionally, the long bones in my legs felt downright "weird." After taking it for quite some time, I started to feel a bit "on edge," the day after.

The second year that I supplemented with it, I noticed that my joints frequently made "popping" noises.

This is the third winter I've taken Vitamin D, and this year, when I take a high dosage, it induces Severe Exhaustion, occurring about 5-7 hours after ingestion; I have to go to bed and "sleep it off" until the next morning when I'm still groggy.

I take 2000 IU daily from October thru year end. Then I take 12,OOO IU every once in while. IF I happen to believe that I might be coming down with a cold or flu, then I take the 12,000 IU every other day until I feel totally healthy.

Vitamin D increases magnesium uptake, so if you are somewhat magnesium deficient (most experts in this field say we are), then it may be the case that it has been magnesium deficiency causing some of these problems, not the actual Vitamin D itself.

Do you supplement with magnesium as well as Vitamin D?

It would seem most unlikely that Vit D could cause such extreme tiredness, in fact, (though I don't have the book at hand), I am pretty sure that Mary Dan Eades mentions that in her book on minerals and vitamins as being one of the symptoms.

There was another poster called "meistro" and another called "brown59", I think, who posted about similar side effects. Meistro started taking extra magnesium and instantly felt a lot better (she posted in my journal if you want to look for her thank-you note!).

I would recommend looking into magnesium. Check out george-eby-research.com for one good place about this mineral.

Finally, if I'm preaching to the converted and you already know about magnesium, please forgive me.

amanda
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Mar-05-09, 07:15

BF:

Quote:
Vitamin D increases magnesium uptake, so if you are somewhat magnesium deficient (most experts in this field say we are), then it may be the case that it has been magnesium deficiency causing some of these problems, not the actual Vitamin D itself.

Do you supplement with magnesium as well as Vitamin D?

It would seem most unlikely that Vit D could cause such extreme tiredness, in fact, (though I don't have the book at hand), I am pretty sure that Mary Dan Eades mentions that in her book on minerals and vitamins as being one of the symptoms.

There was another poster called "meistro" and another called "brown59", I think, who posted about similar side effects. Meistro started taking extra magnesium and instantly felt a lot better (she posted in my journal if you want to look for her thank-you note!).

I would recommend looking into magnesium. Check out george-eby-research.com for one good place about this mineral.

Finally, if I'm preaching to the converted and you already know about magnesium, please forgive me.

amanda

I've never been able to take ANY form of magnesium without severe diarhhea - I can't even bathe in epson salts without having severe digestive upset.

I've only recently read about the magnesium supplementation, and frankly, all I think I can do is to simply cut out the Vit.D -- if the D requires extra magnesium.

I've read many times that virtually everyone in America is deficient in magnesium.

What I will try today, though, is to put a teaspoon of epsom salts in my shoes. I've read that in generations past, parents would put garlic in their kids shoes to treat severe colds & coughs, and in one herb book, I read about an herbalist being told by an old Native American healer that the way to make malaria symptoms disappear was to shake a small bit of regular table salt in your shoes each morning.

As the herbalist said, it sounds NUTS, but he also said that maybe it somehow alkalized the blood, and that's why native healers used it?

Anyway, I'm never spending ANY more money on ANY supplement containing magnesium --- in my lifetime, I can't begin to imagine how many hundreds of dollars has gone down the drain for magnesium supplements that I couldn't tolerate.

Seriously.

I've been using Vit.D lots over the past 4 years, but I've only known for four days about it being mandatory to simultaneously use magnesium.

IF that is true, then I'm dumping the D.

Thanks for your assistance.
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Mar-05-09, 08:00

BF:

Magnesium is excreted in the sweat during exercise and is alleged to be the reason for the cramps that many runners suffer.

A diet high in fat can reduce the amount of magnesium absorbed.

Magnesium Supplement - MayoClinic.com
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dr...mation/DR602371

"Mother was right..."
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/ar...i?artid=1500911
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Mar-05-09, 08:08

BF:

Quote:

Vitamin D increases magnesium uptake, so if you are somewhat magnesium deficient (most experts in this field say we are), then it may be the case that it has been magnesium deficiency causing some of these problems, not the actual Vitamin D itself....

....Finally, if I'm preaching to the converted and you already know about magnesium, please forgive me.

amanda

NO need for any apology - I've been suspecting the same thing. In the past, I simply presumed that the reaction was due to having a strong steroid suddenly coursing through my veins.

I have celiac disease, and lots of things can upset my digestion, not just gluten and wheat products.

When I saw how "large" one teaspoon is, I decided to simply use one-half teaspoon for each foot, and since I'm still wearing wool socks, I put it in them, and not directly in the shoe.

I am going to purchase one bottle of Milk of Magnesia - and see whether I am able to tolerate tiny tiny miniscule amounts, like one-eighth teaspoon, and if so, later on I can see if I can build up from there.

Also, I usually stop supplementing with D when April arrives, I'll just stop earlier this year.

I much prefer the SUN form of vitamin D, it feels so very good!

Thanks for recommending a website about the magnesium, I don't even research it anymore, as I've never tolerated any of it.

I am however, genuinely concerned that a high fat diet descreased absorption of the magnesium, that is very problematic, at least, around "here," ya know??
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Mar-05-09, 10:38

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Well, I'd be a little suspicious of information from the Mayo Clinic and the NIH. Can anyone provide a more low-carb friendly reference?
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Mar-05-09, 10:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
Well, I'd be a little suspicious of information from the Mayo Clinic and the NIH. Can anyone provide a more low-carb friendly reference?

There's LOTS to be suspicious about, from ALL sources.

I recently learned that I've been iron deficient for many years -- but it got critical when I followed all the online nutrition advice to eat "iron-rich" foods like beans & spinach --- but I finally learned at medline that legumes & beans & spinach, although they have iron in them, it's NOT bioavailable.

The popular press had made me paranoid of beef, but I never became a vegetarian - so I noticed that anytime I ate beef, I felt noticably better within 48 hours.

Geesh, it's so embarressing to be low on iron.

And very irritating to have so many inaccurate guidelines.

So, believe me, I am also suspicious about their list of "magnesium-rich" foods.

Although I am curious if the Dark Chocolate high-cocoa treats that so many people mention actually contain large amounts of magnesium and copper.

Years ago, somewhere or another, I red that chocolate cravings can be a sign of copper deficiency.

However -- the problem is, that the "science" of nutrition is simply in the Dark Ages.

And many of the journalists who report on the nutrition industry simply shouldn't be inprint.

I cannot believe how many hundreds of articles I read for the past five years about how important Vit.D is, and none of the stuff in the popular press EVER mentioned
the absolute necessity to simultaneously supplement with magnesium.

Had I known that, there's NO way I would have experimented with HIGH dose D these past 5 years.

/...rant.