Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-09-18, 21:13

Plan: General Low-Carb
Stats: 240/178/140 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 62%
Default Clothing...keep or donate?

I'm sure it's been asked before...

I am 40lbs down with 60 (or more) to go. Yay me! I can now fit into a lot of clothes I've saved from my thinner days. I have some clothes that are falling off me now. Do you save them or donate them? I'm not planning on regaining the weight (who does though?) and I can't get pregnant. I hate getting rid of anything, just in case I need it again someday (it's the packrat teacher in me!).

I guess if I donate them, having to rebuy bigger clothes will be my punishment if I ever regain.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-18, 05:46
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Hiya, missdiamon!

HUGE CONGRATS on your success so far! WTG!

I totally get the concept that it's hard to get rid of stuff... b/c Imma as frugal as can be... (BTW, Imma teacher too! )

In my decades of yo-yo dieting I kept all the clothes btween 4XL to whatever size I would get down to... then it occured to me this time around (last and final restart: on 5 July 2013) that I was giving myself permission to REGAIN the weight all over again...

I had to finally break the cycle of behaviors that kept me from being and staying successful...

So everytime something became too big or too big to alter to fit, I donated it... I only have clothes that fit me now...

Wishing you success on your journey to better HEALTH!

Last edited by Just Jo : Mon, Sep-10-18 at 05:48. Reason: Option M: More to say of course! HA!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-18, 07:17

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Clothing--keep or donate?

IMO it depends on what you can afford to do. I had donated most of my old clothes, then boss changed my job from a high energy usage on my feet go-go go for 7.5 hours a day to standing still for 10 hrs at a time. Guess what happened? I could not adapt my eating fast enough. SKipping breakfast was not enough. Started to skip lunch too..... added 20 pounds in 2 months. ANd had to buy more clothes again because all the clothes I donated I needed back.

Weight surged up to an all time high in the years after that, and bought more clothes.

Now that 20 pounds are off, and those larger clothes are falling off again, I will keep those and pack them up.....until I can let them go.

So bottom line: how do YOU feel about replacing them IF you need to? No one right answer here.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-13-18, 12:07

Plan: Atkins/Duke diet
Stats: 267/173.8/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 76%

Well....I have not done anything yet about my clothes. I am down 60 pounds and some of my clothes are too big but some I can still wear. I plan to go through them when I feel better (I have COPD) and donate them to our local county charity resale store.

I will say that my husband gained a lot of inches because of a medicine change ( fluid retention and weight gain). He has been wearing sweat pants and shorts with a stretch waist like sweat pants for the last 8 or nine months. We had to go to a funeral a couple of weeks ago and he panicked.....until he found a few pairs of pants that he had not discarded after his 100 pound weight loss several years ago. He was distressed to find that the old pants fit again. He has regained 30 of the 100 he lost but with the fluid retention the old pants fit. Since he doesn't wear a standard size and his clothes are mostly altered, it saved him and allowed him to have something to wear at the funeral. His sport coat was a little tight but he could wear it open. In this case we were glad he had some of his old clothes left.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-07-18, 05:33

Plan: adkins
Stats: 265/180/145 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 71%

as I lose weight I plan to just get rid of the nastiest clothes. the old ones that had seen better days, the ones that have shrunk a bit in length, the ones with the tiny stain what won't come out. Old jeans become gardening shorts worn with a belt. I will always keep my leather winter coats, sweaters and sweatshirts. I sewed up the seams in my underwear and have them on the bottom of my stack but buy a smaller size of granny panties when funds allow. New bras are a must and the old go into the garbage.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Oct-07-18, 09:19

BF:

Well done!!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-18, 23:52

Plan: ketogenic/VLC
Stats: 522/456/399 Female 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 54%

Contrats on your loss! Donate, you dont need them, you wont need them in the future, bless someone else with them 💖
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Nov-02-18, 07:47

BF:

Hey.....I just put on some older pants that were my snuggest that I wore back a year ago, and they were too big! I am so excited to put them in the donate bag! YAY!

Funny how these little victories make you feel so good!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Nov-02-18, 11:45

Plan: Atkins/KETO/IF
Stats: 370/163/155 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 96%

Congratulations! Love Non Scale Victories!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-18, 02:09
~Return to Reality~

Plan: LCHF also RNY Bypass
Stats: 288.8/183.6/159 Female 5'7"
BF:I/don't/know
Progress: 81%

It's great to grow out of those clothes in a good direction.

I've lost and gained 100 a few times. The first time I lost was around 2003 and I got rid of most of my bigger clothes at that point. I did regain and not having clothes, having to rebuy things, made me more depressed than I was over the weight gain already. In subsequent losses, I've packed up bins of clothes and kept them as insurance, not because I planned on gaining anything back but because I remember the depths I of despair I was in when not only I gained but I had nothing to wear.

I've now had bariatric surgery and have again lost down to under 180. This time I have given away all the too-big clothes. I know that gaining weight back with the surgery is also a possibility but I am determined this time to keep it off.

I guess for me mindset is everything. Keeping or giving away the clothing doesn't give me permission to gain or keep me from gaining but it has had an impact on my mental health.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-18, 08:20

Plan: General Low-Carb
Stats: 240/178/140 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 62%

Thanks everyone!

I've started getting rid of the stained and obnoxiously big stuff, mostly pants. I can wear too big shirts with leggings to give them a new life
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-18, 12:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 315/255.4/199 Female 5'11"
BF:Ht. 5'11"
Progress: 51%

Yes, it's fun to be able to raid your own closet and wear those clothes that used to be too tight that now fit. I gradually made a pile in my closet of clothes that just got way too big and sloppy on me. I fretted about giving them away too. It's like what JustJo said, was I giving myself permission to regain all the weight? NO! Finally donated the bag the other day so now I can start the pile again. It had gotten so big it was in danger of toppling over. I've been buying new pieces here and there, including a favorite jacket I love two sizes smaller!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-18, 15:00

BF:

LOL, I have two dresses that I bought years ago for when I reached my golden weight. They served as an inspiration. Fast forward, I realize I can never acheive that golden weight, nor the figure I envisioned. It was all a dream, a useful one at the time. I let go of the unrealistic expectation, and will let those dresses go too, making room for better choices.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Dec-01-18, 09:33

BF:

I have been enjoying purchasing some new pants.....all casual now that I've retired, but it was wonderful to find that most of my dress pants I wore to work in for so many years are now too big. My clothes are the next job on my list. I plan to go through my closet and dresser drawers to purge and replace with clothes that fit and that I am wearing. I am living off clothes piled on furniture in my room while my closet and drawers are filled with clothes that no longer fit.......time to purge so I can regain my bedroom!

I am also replacing underwear and bras and nightgowns, even some of those are too big! YAY!
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Dec-02-18, 03:48

Plan: p:e
Stats: 298/149/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 94%

I got rid of everything on the way down. (Went from size 24-26 3X to size 8-10 M in about a year.) There is only one item, a really cute good quality denim dress size XL that I loved and had bought years ago on my way up, that I kind of regret getting rid of. I have bounced around a bit trying to find maintenance and could be using that dress a lot; it was so versatile and I loved the style and material. It would have been an ideal bouncing around dress . I suggest keeping things you actually really love that are a little big. If you are perfect and stay the same size always, cool. If you bounce around a bit like the majority do, cool; you’ll have something to wear anyhow. I am certainly glad I did not keep most things!