Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-13, 10:12

Plan: CAD/Gluten-free
Stats: 263/211/125 Female 62 inches (5'2")
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Tales of a Sexy Beast Trapped inside a flabby cage :)

Okay, I decided it was time to start a journal of some type- and I need most motivation in the workout area. I am new to exercise but I have a personal trainer I meet with 3 times a week, so I am going to catalog what we do and the daily things I do to keep myself active and fit. I also attend Zumba class 2-3 times a week.

I have lost 30 lbs so far. The last 8 or so have been since I started exercising. My trainer, who I will call Cam, seems to know just the right amount to push me.

The goal is to get below 200 in time for my birthday, which is at the end of June. I need to lose about 33 lbs to do that. I WILL reach that goal.

So on to today- Monday. A great day to start something new and push myself. Wearing some new bling since my wedding ring was falling off- I decided to wear a replacement for now. I guess I forgot that when things shrink, so do the fingers.

Was supposed to meet with Cam yesterday but family came in to town last minute and only for a few hours so we had breakfast. They were asking me about my diet and seemed interested. The hubby is starting Atkins today- I am not personally on Atkins so I hope I can help him out.

Cam and I should be meeting tomorrow but tonight I still need to do something- I will be going to Zumba class. I really enjoy this particular instructor- her flavor of dance is just my style.

Cam never really works out my abs so I am considering adding some crunches or something on my own time. He has me do a lot of body weight exercises- stacking exercises. A lot of cardio too. But not abs. Maybe the abs are worked out with everything else? They are never sore though. Maybe time to add my own ab routine- I've always had a flabby tummy (and usually a huge elephant stomach) so someday I'd love to be proud of my middle. It might have some saggy skin but I will still be proud.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-13, 10:38

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%
Default Hi, Melody

I had planned to start a gym log too, so we can be newbies together. I have a diet/success journal over in that section, as well.
Maybe having someone who started at the same time will keep me coming here consistently. I've enjoyed reading Kat's walking photo-journal, too.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-13, 20:06

BF:

Sounds great Anne!! I will be following you too!!

Just finished Zumba. There's an annoying (sorry this is being honest) little twiggy girl who is in the front row and seems to be high on something each class- even if the instructor is flat on the ground she is jumping or skipping or doing something to up intensity. Or maybe I'm just jealous of that girl. Maybe I wish I had that kind of energy that in my late 20s and 2 kids just eludes me. Or maybe I could be that girl. Ok- probably not. I've never been peppy after all.

I was discouraged tonight, not just by that girl but by seeing my own reflection in the big mirror. 30 lbs down and I was still the biggest girl in the class. The damn sash that everyone wears doesn't fit my hips so I have to wear it around my waist. I can see why people don't go to fitness classes. I don't usually see myself but our class was small today. So I had to watch the nastiness ensue. I hate talking this way about myself because I need to be proud of what I've done so far- I am just reminded of how far I have to go and that stinks sometimes. Workout with Cam tomorrow- l hope he just kicks my butt so hard I forget about this bump in the road.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-13, 23:15

Wow, this is 'get in touch with your fat self' night in ALC. I answered another member who forgets how far she has yet to go until she sees mirrors or pics. I do that too. I talk in realistic terms of my real progress and areas I need to improve but hubby thinks he's supposed to be the optimist on my shoulder and tells me 'lies' about how great I look. He loves me and doesn't want me to get discouraged. I hope he's right and I look thinner but those 16s in my closet are still hanging there, unused. I also hope he's sincere. I guess I want to share the denial.
I'm sure I would hate Twiggy Stick-Figure Girl, too. Maybe she's a meth head or something.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-13, 20:51

BF:

LOL at meth head!!

Well, I didn't make it to the gym this morning thanks to our car getting shot last night. We live in a upper middle class neighborhood so this is just very weird. Had to talk to police, etc. They targeted several people in the neighborhood, we were just one of them. It's been a crazy day, not a good excuse but an reason nonetheless :-/

I will be going to Zumba tomorrow. I hear this new instructor is very high intensity so we'll see!!!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-13, 09:25

I'll bet it was the stick-figure girl who shot the cars. She didn't know which house was yours so she shot up several of them. Meth heads are like that.

Just had to throw in my junior detective opinion. I think that after having to talk to the cops and all, I would have skipped the gym, too. I was really sore last night, but not that good kind of sore, from a workout. My back kind of hurt. It's better than it was, but before I lost what I've lost, any exertion to lift something would leave it very sore. I would take Ibuprofen for it but I don't want to do that now because I found out it elevates your bp and I also read that it makes you hold water. I'm up on the scale this morning and I think my dinner was too salty. I went to Bullritos and had my lc usual. No tortilla, carne guisada (it's gf), tomatoes, shredded cheese, guac, and lettuce. My son is the canary in the mine for gluten and he reacts to their steak fajita meat. Turns out it's marinated in soy sauce. Now, he gets chicken instead. I think I'll do that next time because I like to order extra meat and the carne guisada is the highest carb meat on the menu. I think the seasoning has corn starch or something.

Oh, yeah - I was up on the scale but I immediately went to put on my reference pants and they fit maybe a little better, so I'm not going to sweat it. So, onward and downward for both of us.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-13, 15:23

BF:

Haha oh my you crack me up! I wasn't on much yesterday so I will go and read your entries That sounds like a good meal, as well. I love lc mexican!! Have you ever made the cheese tortillas (just a piece of provolone microwaved on wax paper and then folded over while cooling- so so good).

Last night I did Zumba and it was a new instructor- it was a lot of fun and a lot higher intensity than my Monday class! A LOT higher- but luckily most of the moves can be customized. I'm just not able to maintain a long cardio workout at this point- maybe someday but if I push too hard I burn out and I think it's better if I do the whole hour.

Trained with Cam this morning- I had to take the kids to the gym so I was a little flustered and worried how they were doing. I felt really down the last couple of days about my body issues, etc. I've learned that Cam is not the warm and fuzzy type, he just gives it to me straight. I told him I had thought about quitting- I am not sure why I said that but I did. He said he was pissed at me and that I need to stop the negative self talk. I guess I have always expected that a trainer would be like Bob on Biggest Loser or something but he's a lot more like Jillian. But not interested in what's going on outside the gym. It doesn't matter to him why, he just wants me there working out. I don't know if this is because he doesn't give a crap about me outside of our workouts and just wants to get them done, or if there are too many people out there trying to spill out their guts to him like he's a therapist or something. But I respected his obvious need to just focus on the task at hand. It's pretty intimidating sometimes working out with him- he is the same age as me and obviously in shape, etc. Though I am married, I am still a woman and still embarrassed to have a good looking man watch me look like a fat lard running across the gym. OK I NEED TO STOP WITH NEGATIVE SELF-TALK!!!

Today our workout consisted of:

1 mile on the Elliptical, level 4- warm up

Circuit done 4 times:
1) An exercise with a medicine ball where I threw it down hard to the ground, then balanced my hands on it, walked my legs out, jumped back in to the ball, and stood up, raising the ball above my head. 20 times.

2) High knees across the gym both ways

3) A squat and upward press with the bar

4) High knees across the gym both ways

5) Taking a weighted ball (not medicine ball, not sure what kind of ball) and raising it above my head, twisting at the waist, and throwing it down on one side, then holding it above my head again, twisting and throwing it down to the other side.

Between each of these sets, we did 4 flights of stairs.

Cool down- 1 mile on the elliptical level 3

My arms were killing me so when I went to get the kiddos, I could barely hold the baby. I am hoping that Cam doesn't think I'm an idiot woman. Mental note not to talk to him about personal stuff, including my personal doubts and thinking of quitting. Another issue I've brought up a couple of times is motivating my husband, and he's given me some ideas but this last week was hard because the hubby wanted to try Atkins but after one day was done. He said he needs me to keep him on track- but sometimes I have a hard enough time staying on track myself. And I don't do Atkins so I don't know a lot about it, but you know he requires me to do the research, etc etc. It can be frustrating. Maybe I wouldn't care so much but he's aboout 450 lbs (not an exaggeration) and I am worried about his health even moreso than my own.

Okay, big entry. After the workout, I got groceries with the girls and then we had a picnic for lunch- I had 3 eggs. No veggies for lunch, just didn't feel like them since I wasn't barely hungry.

Scale was down 1.8 lbs this morning (I weigh daily) from yesterday and I am at a new low of 231.0. I am ready to hit the 220s, so bad I can almost taste it! I want to do that this week, and I will push all I can to hit that milestone!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-13, 20:09

BF:

Went to Mongolian BBQ tonight- yum! Only meat and veggies with some oil and garlic and it was fantastic. I had shrimp crab and tofu, then lots of different veggies and about a tb of cashews. Seriously one of my favorite low carb meals ever. I did bad and had half a medium sugar free Italian soda. I need to go crazy on the water tonight. I'm crossing my fingers for another loss on the scale tomorrow!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-13, 00:20

BF:

No workout today- it's my "off" day but tomorrow planning to do something cardio- possibly Zumba or the elliptical- not sure. Good day eating wise. Had leftover Mongolian
Hit a new low- 230.8 today!! I would love to see the 220s tomorrow or by Tuesday latest. If I hit the 220s by Tuesday I'm going to get a cute outfit for my friends birthday party this next weekend :-D
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Mar-10-13, 12:05

BF:

Morning, morning... Can texted me and said he had a lot of homework to catch up on. Hmm. Had no idea he was a student but I have a feeling he might just be hungover or something. Anyway I still got the gym today- did treadmill intervals for 45 min (about 2 miles- yeah don't hate I'm slow ok haha). I upped the incline and the speed to a job every 5th minute. It felt fantastic. You know how you get off the treadmill and feel all light and airy? Yeah freakin love that. My meal this morning was good and healthy since I gained a half pound last night (grrrr). I ate a lot yesterday so I'm hoping its water retention. Going shopping tomorrow night with a girlfriend for an outfit for her party. I want to look cute- maybe I can find some compression stuff to hold in the wiggly jiggly fat that I now have (better than tight and stuffed fat I guess). Can't wait!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-13, 21:59

BF:

I've had a busy busy week! Here's a lineup of what I've done, write more later..

Monday- walking
Tuesday- worked out with trainer Cam
Wednesday- walking
Thursday- worked or with trainer Cam

Tomorrow I will walk again.

I'm at 229.0- lowest I've been so far
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Mar-19-13, 08:21

BF:

So last Friday I went out with my friends- it was my friend Jenny's 28th birthday and she wanted to visit some of the bars. Well she lives in a podunk town so all of the bars are within walking distance. Anyway, being a special occasion I did have a drink- a diet pepsi with cherry vodka. I like to stay away from diet soda except on very rare occasions, so this was a good time. I got buzzed a lot faster, only needed one drink. But that's as far as it went. I got the bulk of my exercising done that night when I danced like a crazy fool for a couple of hours- so I went ahead and counted that as a workout Went for a walk on Saturday and Cam and I didn't do our workout on Sunday so I guess that was my rest day. Yesterday (Monday) I went to Zumba. I noticed already that my stamina has improved. I was able to keep up more with the higher intensity moves and another cool thing, I already was no longer the biggest girl in the class (which I was about a month ago). It's crazy how fast that happened. The sash thing still doesn't fit me right, I will need to lose quite a bit off of my waist (where I carry the majority of my weight) before I am able to wear it right.
I am less than 4 lbs away from my goal for the month and just over half way through the month so I am pretty sure I will have no problem hitting my goal- woo hoo!! And then it's off the to 210's and I haven't been there in so long...It's hard to imagine how that will be.
Today I am working out with Cam and then doing Zumba with my mom on the Wii- she watches my kiddos so she will be here and we will work out. (If I have the energy!!) I have found that dancing is making me enjoy working out. I do enjoy my workouts with Cam too but honestly I hate the treadmill and the elliptical- if I could dance instead of those things I would.
I had a dream I was a Zumba instructor last night. I was thin and was leading a large class. It was a really great dream which I didn't want to wake up from!!!
I will report after I work out with Cam. I am down to a new low today of 227.6
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-13, 23:18

BF:

Today was a great day!! I had a nutritious breakfast, and then ran off to do therapy for my daughter. We stopped at the grocery store on the way home, and then my mom and I did Zumba- just over 20 minutes- and then we went on a walk/jog to the park of about a mile. Tomorrow I work out with Cam. I'm a little sore today from my workout with him yesterday but luckily nothing too extreme We are going to start working out 2 days a week instead of 3 so I can stretch my sessions further. I know I can do it without him but it's definitely helping me to have him to work with, for sure.
Looked my body up and down in the mirror today- the flabiness on my arms from the loose fat is already looking a little better, smoother and not so lumpy which is awesome- I might be able to wear short sleeves by summer at this rate! The boobs are deflating and the loose skin is worst there by far. My stomach has changed almost the most, reducing in size by 10 inches or so thus far. And hopefully more soon to come!! I would like to lose another 18 inches in my waist (it's about 45 inches right now), maybe closer to 20 inches actually. So there will be some major deflating of that area going on. Lol. All in all, I saw a difference in the scale today which was encouraging. I'm seeing my puffiness starting to fade and looking trimmer. I know I'm still a big girl with over 100 lbs to lose, but I'm looking less like the Michelin man which is always nice When I get to 40 lbs down I think I will post some progress pics- maybe!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Mar-24-13, 23:45

BF:

Alright, I need to be better about updating!! Well it's Sunday- and I am at a new low today- 226.2- which was my goal for the week so I am happy!

THURSDAY-
Met Cam at the gym and he seemed in very good spirits, I think he enjoys my company or at least I hope he does since he has to see me twice a week (we've moved it down to twice now since I want my sessions to last longer before I have to get more). He worked my BUTT off- by the end I was dying. He had me doing a lot of jumping and stepping up high, and lots of stairs. By the end he wanted me to go a mile on the elliptical- he knows I hate the elliptical so I asked him if I could run it on the treadmill. He raised an eyebrow and asked if I really thought that was easier and I said yes haha. Well, then he challenged me to run in 13 minutes. At the time I believed it was possible- right, no. We even made a bet of it- he would give me the session for free if I could run a 13 minute mile. Even with such a beautiful prize, i knew there was no way in hell once I started pacing it. I can't run more than a couple of minutes at this point- so I have a new goal now- to run a 13 minute mile by my birthday. I've decided in order to do that I really just need to be able to jog the for that duration of time, or at least 10 minutes- the pace required to get to a mile in 13 minutes is around 4.4 and right now I walk at around 2.8. So I need to be able to jog around 5.5 or 6 for 8-10 minutes of that time, at least. I think I am capable of that, and especially if I lose another 25-30 by my birthday as I plan to, that will make it a great deal easier.

I didn't work out on Friday- but on Saturday I photographed a wedding and was on my feet for 6 hours or so. It still hurts to be on my feet that long, wonder when that will change!

I am so close to 40 lbs down now that if people ask I just say 40. I've already mentally claimed it, no harm in that!!! I was going to get some hair products but I decided I'm getting some teeth whitening instead. Yeah bright shiny teeth. My teeth are yellow so I need it bad, haha For my 50 lb loss goal, I am getting my hair done and a pedicure- I can't WAIT- it's so exciting to think about being in the 210's again. Haven't been there in SO so long. It's hard to imagine seeing those numbers on the scale. It's all new numbers from here. The last time I saw the 210s was briefly after my first daughter was born, and it didn't last long, as nursing her made me want to eat everything in sight!!! lol. As far as the 200's and below- it's been SO long. The thought of being below 200 is so exciting!!!! Onederland...
I've been thinking once I hit onederland to get a ring that says 'never again'- they have some rings that are really cute where you can personalize what it says on it. Maybe the ring will say 'onederland'...I am not sure yet, I need to think of the perfect phrase to say because I want to wear it as a reminder always. I never want to be in twoterville again!!
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Mar-30-13, 21:56

BF:

Ok so I'm gonna be honest- I didn't work out this week. Yes I know I know. But on a good note, I am one pound shy of my 40 lb goal- I was pretty sure I will hit it tomorrow- happy Easter to me!!
My goal for May is to drop to 213.8 lbs. Now that is a number I haven't seen in a really long time!!! I can't wait to plan the reward for when I get there. I'm currently most excited though about hitting Onederland. I can't wait to see 199.8 on the scale. I can't wait to never see a 2 in front of my weight ever again!!!!
Plans for this coming week-

Monday -Zumba
Tuesday -Training
Wednesday -Run a mile
Thursday- training
Friday- nothing planned- busy night- probably jogging a mile.
Saturday- day off
Sunday- Wii Zumba