Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Oct-06-13, 07:33

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicheZ
But welcome to the low carb life!

Thank you! I can't say I'm loving the restrictions yet, but I am loving the results. And I'm learning so much from this site. Learning from books is good, but new information pops up in conversation that authors may not think to put in their books.

I wish I had known all this years ago, when I was still pre-diabetic.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Oct-06-13, 09:15

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
Thank you! Funny how the meanings of words change over the years. Diet used to mean woe, that is, one's ongoing, regular daily diet.

So true. I guess WOE is synonymous with "diet" and the opposite of "a diet". Funny how one letter makes such a difference.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Oct-07-13, 08:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 253/210/150 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 42%

Bonnie, have you checked the Blood Sugar 101 website? She's got a lot of great info. about diabetes.
I agree, the restrictions can be very discouraging! But hang in there, it does get better. (Not necessarily easier! But better!)
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Oct-07-13, 09:10

BF:

Thanks! I'm going to the website now.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Oct-07-13, 18:09
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicheZ
There might be a list of acronyms on this site, but not sure.But welcome to the low carb life!

And there is. Go to Tips on the green bar at the top of the page and scroll down to Low Carb Lingo. Lots of other useful info there too.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Oct-08-13, 03:56

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Rosebud, there is so much info up in that green bar!
Thanks for the reminder
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Oct-09-13, 09:37
Registered Member

Stats: 253/210/150 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 42%

A late thank you, Rosebud! I went to the green bar/tips & thoroughly enjoyed reading a bunch of information! And, I knew there just had to be a list of acronyms available. Thanks!
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-13, 11:16

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 330/140/140 Female 5' 3"
BF:

I ended up stopping all my insulin about 5-6 weeks into *strict* 100% compliance with Dr. Bernstein's "Diabetes Solution" because even taking as little as 5 units of Lantus in the morning, I was having crashes at 1 a.m. Without the Lantus, my BG's were roughly 135, but I let it ride since I was watching it slowly come down. My doc wanted to put me on Metformin but I'd had serious crashes when I went on it years ago and I won't take any of the newer ones due to the side effects and warnings. I understood when she put in the chart that this was against her advice (she's covering her butt), but she did tell me that it was probably the only way I was going to control the crashes on such a low carb diet.

Over the next 7-8 weeks, by BG's went from 135 to 90...without medication, but I was very strict with my protein and carbs.
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Oct-19-13, 09:09

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfie
Over the next 7-8 weeks, by BG's went from 135 to 90...without medication, but I was very strict with my protein and carbs.

You give me hope! I'm still taking my metformin - 2000 mg daily - and my fasting BG has been going down. Yesterday & today it was 93, tho it tends to be on the other side of 100 most mornings.

I'm not sure if I should experiment by reducing my dose by a pill at a time, or wait until my next dr visit & see what my A1c is.

I'm looking forward to the day when I'm medication free!
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Oct-19-13, 10:32

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
You give me hope! I'm still taking my metformin - 2000 mg daily - and my fasting BG has been going down. Yesterday & today it was 93, tho it tends to be on the other side of 100 most mornings.

I'm not sure if I should experiment by reducing my dose by a pill at a time, or wait until my next dr visit & see what my A1c is.

I'm looking forward to the day when I'm medication free!

If you're not comfortable doing it without talking to your doc, I'd get her on the phone because if your fasting is 93, it sounds like you might be risking too low numbers as you continue with the low carb. What are your numbers like the rest of the day?
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Oct-20-13, 03:38

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Agree with Elfie. Take your BG all day today, pre and post 1 and 2 hours for every meal and before bed. Eat your typical LC meals at times you normally eat. Call your doctor's office tomorrow with numbers for medication advice.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Oct-20-13, 11:03
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:

I'd wait until you get your A1c numbers. 93 isn't by any reckoning low. It is pretty typical for a low carber with physiological insulin resistance.
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Oct-20-13, 14:42

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I'd wait until you get your A1c numbers. 93 isn't by any reckoning low. It is pretty typical for a low carber with physiological insulin resistance.

The problem with going by the A1c is that when I still had an A1c of 10, my BG's were already under 100. It's just that the A1c reflects the previous 3 months...not necessarily what is going on currently. Medication should be taken based on *current* info.
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Oct-20-13, 18:12

BF:

Yesterday I forgot to take my evening pills and this morning my BG was 90! So it's probably safe to reduce or even go without. I didn't take any today & checked before I ate a late lunch (I had a small snack about an hour or so earlier) and it was 99. And part of that snack was a bite of my husband's sweet roll.

So it looks like I'll be all right. I'll keep checking tho to see if it goes up too much. I've got VA insurance and it's kind of difficult sometimes to get an appointment. Tho for just an A1c I need an OK from the doctor, not an appointment. I don't even know what doctor I'll be talking to as there have been transfers and retirements. Lots of new faces!
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-13, 18:31

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

I realize this isn't a current thread, but for anyone else who reads this now, just to advise that Walmart sells an A1c kit for $9. (Blood drops onto a paper that you send in.)

I tried it after some people on this site said it was accurate and found that it corresponds to what I've had done at the doc pretty closely.